Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my model 3 AWD serviced this week and while I was waiting for my car, I went ahead and asked several tesla employees from different departments about the hardware comparison (motors, inverters, etc) between the AWD and the performance model and therefore the possibility to purchase a software upgrade\unlock from AWD to performance post purchase.

the answers were all over the place.

Sales woman: "No, the configuration you bought is set in stone, no changes possible. Why would they make two different car versions then?"

Sales guy: "No, the performance model has a bigger front motor with more coils" (wtf)

Service guy: "probably, they share the same hardware so I wouldn't be surprised if they unlocked it as they did for ludicrous mode, time will tell and you will know before we do"

Mechanic : "Honestly, I don't know, I think it's the same hardware, it would make sense that it is"

Had my model 3 AWD serviced this week and while I was waiting for my car, I went ahead and asked several tesla employees from different departments about the hardware comparison (motors, inverters, etc) between the AWD and the performance model and therefore the possibility to purchase a software upgrade\unlock from AWD to performance post purchase.

the answers were all over the place.

Sales woman: "No, the configuration you bought is set in stone, no changes possible. Why would they make two different car versions then?"

Sales guy: "No, the performance model has a bigger front motor with more coils" (wtf)

Service guy: "probably, they share the same hardware so I wouldn't be surprised if they unlocked it as they did for ludicrous mode, time will tell and you will know before we do"

Mechanic : "Honestly, I don't know, I think it's the same hardware, it would make sense that it is"
LOL! No bias in that poll! I had actually forgotten about this thread. I’ve read so much on this topic, most about comparing the “bins” of the motors. My hope is it’s doable! I’d pay $3-4K for that “unlocking”! :cool:

Yes, even with all those signatures, cards and letters sent, this thread (and any relevant news) went....

237C97BD-B1A3-4A0C-BFF1-AAB05EAC67D2.gif

I decided, what the hell, and just tweeted at Elon and Tesla:

@tesla @elonmusk Seems there’s several million in revenue potential for a software based performance upgrade for existing LR AWD Model 3s. Charge $6k to make it a P3D- or some lower amount to make it fall between the AWD and P3D.
Not good to suggest a number that’s way higher than any number talked here since day one. Why did you do that? :confused: IMHO, you should have left the number out and rather made reference to the signatures or upgrade potential.

Not good to suggest a number that’s way higher than any number talked here since day one. Why did you do that? :confused: IMHO, you should have left the number out and rather made reference to the signatures or upgrade potential.

EXACTLY. Like, why the heck did $6K seem like the number to throw out - especially based on pages of responses nowhere near that number? #thingsillneverunderstand

• Love
Reactions: groovidad
The cheapest it has ever been to get P performance over an AWD cars performance is $2000, pre-purchase (and that has only been true in the last few weeks... prior to a month ago that amount was $4000), so there's 0.00% chance any after-purchase option would be less than that.

(and somewhat of a chance it'd be more, since most of its existence Tesla has charged more to add a software upgrade post-purchase)

Reactions: MagnusMako
This thread has taken a hilarious turn. Hey guys, remember that originally it was $9k or $10k to get the Performance (IIRC - fairly sure that did not include PUP (well, for a period of time it did but I am giving worst case for the upgrade desired here) but I could be wrong - do correct me if so)! $6k would be a deal! Never mind that it is now $2k or whatever...

Gotta pay to play. ;)

This thread has taken a hilarious turn. Hey guys, remember that originally it was $9k or $10k to get the Performance (IIRC - fairly sure that did not include PUP (well, for a period of time it did but I am giving worst case for the upgrade desired here) but I could be wrong - do correct me if so)! $6k would be a deal! Never mind that it is now $2k or whatever...

Gotta pay to play. ;)

well, it was 10-11k... and then everyone who paid it got $5000 back... so really 5-6k net price.

I agree that didn't include the PUP, but neither would this.

6k would be "the absolute max net cost any P3D- owner ever paid over an AWD model 3"

4k would be "the absolute min net cost" of same (since AWD pricing varied a bit from week to week for a while) until last month... and 2k the absolute min net cost of same in recent weeks with P3D- suddenly being available again from inventory.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I picked $6k, because it had been an $11k difference between AWD and P3D+ and I subtracted $5k for the hardware. Looks like I haven’t kept up with the latest pricing, though!

Just checked Tesla.com and it’s only an $8k difference now. I guess I should have made it $3k or $4k instead.

Regardless, there wasn’t a reply from Elon or Tesla, so it’s a moot point.

I suggest others keep tweeting @elonmusk and @tesla and maybe one of them will get through!

They are just changing the software a bit. $500 is enough. Same to take a half second of the 0-60 off my LR RWD 3.

It has nothing to do with the software, it’s all about the value of what you’re buying.
All software is the same. Oracle database software is worth millions to corporations, so they spend many thousands of dollars a year for a simple download of software.

So I totally disagree with you here.

The cost to increase the speed of most cars by one second is very expensive.
Also, the value of that one second is absolutely worth more than $500.

Last edited:
well, it was 10-11k... and then everyone who paid it got $5000 back... so really 5-6k net price.

I agree that didn't include the PUP, but neither would this.

6k would be "the absolute max net cost any P3D- owner ever paid over an AWD model 3"

4k would be "the absolute min net cost" of same (since AWD pricing varied a bit from week to week for a while) until last month... and 2k the absolute min net cost of same in recent weeks with P3D- suddenly being available again from inventory.

Correct. Thanks for clarifying!