Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s got to be something in a P3D that makes it faster - not just software, or Tesla would be offering upgrades - or even just making a LR AWD that is a P3D and charging $2K more for it.

I’d pop an extra $2K down in a nanosecond if I could easily have a P3D. I’d pop down more than that if I could get a performance model without the 20” wheels. The other parts don't matter much to me, but I’d take them.

Seems to me Tesla might sell more P3Ds if they didn't come with 20" wheels. Yeah, I know there is a potential of being able to swap with someone who has 18". But I don't think new car buyers would want to deal with that. Maybe they should drop the price with 18" wheels standard and make larger wheels an option.

Seems to me Tesla might sell more P3Ds if they didn't come with 20" wheels. Yeah, I know there is a potential of being able to swap with someone who has 18". But I don't think new car buyers would want to deal with that. Maybe they should drop the price with 18" wheels standard and make larger wheels an option.

Yes, I agree. But the Performance comes with larger brakes too. I think you can only put the 20" wheels on them. Then again, lots of people say the larger brakes are not needed.

It's too bad because I'd have purchased a Performance with 18" wheels in a heartbeat. What, another $8K or $10K for Tesla? I go to SF too much to want to deal with the 20" wheels and tires.

Then again, I had a 2005 Porsche Carrera up until recently. It wasn't a Carrera S, so it's 0-60 was a little over 4 seconds. So a LR AWD with Auto trans is about as good. With a 6 speed manual, you really need to be good to get anywhere near the AWD speed and (will never get the) torque.

So 0-60 in 4.4(LR AWD) with no shifting to deal with is good enough to get lots of people into trouble!

We're not all still waiting for the hell of it!

Yes, I agree. But the Performance comes with larger brakes too. I think you can only put the 20" wheels on them. Then again, lots of people say the larger brakes are not needed.

Unless you track the car they provide literally no benefit, and the downside of making aftermarket wheels harder to add and costing more if you ever need to replace any parts.

So 0-60 in 4.4(LR AWD) with no shifting to deal with is good enough to get lots of people into trouble!

~4.1 (without rollout) after the new firmware update, ~3.9 with rollout

There’s got to be something in a P3D that makes it faster - not just software, or Tesla would be offering upgrades

There's not (for AWDs made before this spring anyway) as we know from the parts catalog.

- or even just making a LR AWD that is a P3D and charging $2K more for it.

They literally do exactly that with the current P3D- that's only available from inventory, not orders.

Reactions: MagnusMako
im confused..so 4 seconds isnt fast enough?

why didnt you just get the fast one to start with..gotta pay to play
Mostly 20" wheels on crappy city streets. Lots of California cities don't believe in fixing roads. Actually they're always so full of cars that there is no way to fix them.

I will remark here that it is a bit of a contradiction with Teslas. The big selling point is that they drive so well - better than most ICE cars.

On the other hand, Tesla wants to make them all self-driving. Why would you want the car to drive itself if it were so good to drive?

It not bad - just contradictory. I would expect a lesser car to be the focus of self-driving.

Reactions: rtshefe
20 inch rims are pretty much a no-go in snow country. 20 inch snow tires are wider and won't do near as well as 18 inch. Plus, I'd imagine tire chain installs would harder. I suspect a lot of P3D owners have dual sets of wheels.

I bet the 4000 lb curb weight in such a small car will make it much better handling in snow. Lots of cars this size are at best 2500 or 3000 lbs.

The Tesla Model 3 is a turbocharged tank compared with these cars.

If Tesla was going offer a $2k software performance update to LR AWD owners, then why wouldn't they just allow ordering of a P3D stealth? Except early on, they've refused to do so. So the likelihood of this happening is probably slim to none. The performance package is probably highly profitable to them and if there was an easy $2k shortcut to its straight-line performance, there would be a lot fewer P3D buyers.

I know someone who took delivery of a P3D stealth on Saturday. Ordered it a week or two before that.... so they are still very much allowed to be ordered.

Most people have zero issue with the 20s. If there was an epidemic of issues with them - you know Tesla would have made changes ages ago. I love the 20s and the bigger brakes. Aside from the much greater performance of the tires (yes, even on the street) the wheels/red brake calipers look amazeballs to me. :D

Now, would Tesla sell more P3Ds if they didn't come with 20s? Maybe. Is it in their interest? Probably not. Margins are likely considerably larger on the 3P+ over the 3P-, of course, so why would they bother?

PS I don't think there's any way on this earth that Tesla is going to offer an AWD -> 3P- unlock for $2k, even if it is possible (yeah yeah I've read all the it's possible/not possible arguments). So many reasons they won't - starting with insurance purposes, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I know someone who took delivery of a P3D stealth on Saturday. Ordered it a week or two before that.... so they are still very much allowed to be ordered.
Not an order - the SA just found one that matched what they wanted. They got lucky. No Teslas are made to order anyway but there’s enough of them produced on a regular basis that they can be matched to what you want as they come in. Not so with stealth. For example a white interior is very uncommon.

Most people have zero issue with the 20s. If there was an epidemic of issues with them - you know Tesla would have made changes ages ago. I love the 20s and the bigger brakes. Aside from the much greater performance of the tires (yes, even on the street) the wheels/red brake calipers look amazeballs to me. :D

Now, would Tesla sell more P3Ds if they didn't come with 20s? Maybe. Is it in their interest? Probably not. Margins are likely considerably larger on the 3P+ over the 3P-, of course, so why would they bother?

PS I don't think there's any way on this earth that Tesla is going to offer an AWD -> 3P- unlock for $2k, even if it is possible (yeah yeah I've read all the it's possible/not possible arguments). So many reasons they won't - starting with insurance purposes, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I never said there were issues with 20 inch rims. They just won’t give as smooth a ride as 18 inch rims. A lot of owners are unwilling to compromise on this, even for better performance.

That said, I have no real way to compare the “smoothness” of either. Maybe this isn’ the case with the Model 3.

I can’t see why Tesla would offer this. Most manufacturers won’t include “performance trims” on lesser trims due to worry of it eating sales into the higher trim.

Example being like VAG’s 2.5L 5 cylinder only offered in the Audi. If they offered it in the VW, why get an Audi is the thought process.

Maybe the same why Tesla doesn’t offer this as an active software upgrade.

Not an order - the SA just found one that matched what they wanted. They got lucky. No Teslas are made to order anyway but there’s enough of them produced on a regular basis that they can be matched to what you want as they come in. Not so with stealth. For example a white interior is very uncommon.

Yes, that's probably what happened... I know he skipped the white interior and originally chosen paint color to instead get the stealth for the same price.

Still hoping for my P upgrade, anyway! Totally unnecessary, I must admit.

This thread is such a cluster. It was started for people who actually want and would pay Tesla to uncork their AWD cars. The investigation into rear motor part numbers was welcomed data to determine whether such a thing is even possible.

But all the back and forth over why Tesla will or will not do this is exhausting and based purely on opinion (mine included).

Those of you who think Tesla will never do this can stop whizzing in our corn flakes and go start your own thread and petition.

Let’s keep this thread about factual updates on progress and feasibility or creative ideas for getting this in front of Treelon.

</soapbox>