Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if the 3.9s is a safe value achiveble by both AWD with 990 and 980, (so the marketing works) but that in real life 980 motor will do better than advertised (and get to 3.5s like the P3D).

The front motor is the main limitation on the AWD, not the rear.

I am hopeful the upgrade is the 20% rumored here (more hopeful for full P but seems unlikely).

A 20% improvement over the published 4.4s 0-60mph gets you to 3.5s, which just happens to be the 0-60s time I found in the source code of the design page. With 1-foot rollout that should be in the low 3s and a clear buy at $2k.

Tougher putt to only pick up 0.5s for that amount.

Reactions: MagnusMako
I am hopeful the upgrade is the 20% rumored here (more hopeful for full P but seems unlikely).

A 20% improvement over the published 4.4s 0-60mph gets you to 3.5s, which just happens to be the 0-60s time I found in the source code of the design page. With 1-foot rollout that should be in the low 3s and a clear buy at $2k.

Tougher putt to only pick up 0.5s for that amount.

I'm not sure I understand why Tesla would offer anything less than this. I expect very few will drop 2 grand for 3.9s.

Screen-Shot-2019-12-18-at-5-28-45-PM.png

Depending on the price, if that text is correct, does that mean the “stealth” wasn’t truly a full Performance level speed to begin with? I mean I’m aware that the extra equipment offered on the P3+ and track mode are what enable the full speed, but maybe 3.9s is the most a non-P+ can get?
Stealths have consistently been faster than the p3d+ because of the 18s and they have track mode now

Yeah, go for the Stealth, you are guaranteed performance speed without the pup vs maybe getting close to stealth with this update but at same $. I am not sure how they will get around the fact that if they make these AWD LRs close to performance speed you will have almost identical models in terms of price but different nomenclature, with P3D- obviously the more premium in terms of name only. Plus with the P3D- you are actually buying a Performance model, vs an AWD that is slightly faster than normal AWD.

I can think of a few reasons:
1) the stealth isn't really stealthy for me anymore as this gets you close enough and the unicorn fades a bit
2) track mode if it isn't offered, well not sure how often I'd get to use it
3) I can get the white interior which wasn't offered on the stealth
4) Wondering with the 2020 VINs if insurance companies will eventually catch on and start charging more for the performance version (I know insurance is also based on a number of other factors) vs. regular AWD?

Hopefully someone gets the upgrade and lets us know how the timings are.