Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For leased TM3P, always charge to full, right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha. No. There is not a legal responsibility. There is a moral and ethical one.

I'd like to hear more about the moral and ethical responsibility towards future owners (or the lessor, as otherwise mentioned in this thread). I can't see any possible argument for this responsibility existing, but I'm certainly willing to listen to an alternative viewpoint. Please elaborate.

But what if by then, Tesla has implemented battery diagnostics testing on all lease returns? After all, the single most costly component is the battery and they do have to reuse/sell the returns somehow.

Just thinking out loud, I lease as well...

Presumably you've read your lease agreement. I just re-read mine, and I think Tesla would have an impossible task trying to recoup any "damages" from the lessee as a result of constant full charging. There is NOTHING in the lease about charging practices, the the sections titled "Maintenance and Use" and "Excess Wear" do not appear to give them any leeway on this matter.

Do all that to a lease vehicle and you get a bill upon returning it. Id be really surprised if Tesla doesn’t have some type of charging abuse clause. For sure they have to charge level logs.

The lease agreement does not give Tesla any opportunity to charge the lessee more (upon lease return) based on charging practices.

==
25. Excess Wear. The charge for excess wear will be our estimated or actual cost or repairing wear beyond that reasonably expected with ordinary, everyday use and maintenance according to this lease. It includes (i) parts, accessories and vehicle specifications present in or on the vehicle or provided at delivery being incomplete, modified or replaced with items of inferior quality or design; (ii) any tire with less than 1/8 inch of tread or not part of a matching set of four; (iii) dents, scratches, gouges or cracks in the vehicle's external parts, or glass; (iv) torn or burned interior parts or upholstery; (v) inoperative mechanical or electrical components; and (vi) any damage or neglect resulting from your failure to follow any maintenance schedules or recall advisories we or our affiliate may notify you of.
==

Having read this, this actual makes me feel better about not the [un]likelihood of being charged for the odor in the car upon lease return (I smoke cigars in the car all the time, though admittedly I'm generally able to keep the car smelling pretty fresh).

The lease agreement does not give Tesla any opportunity to charge the lessee more (upon lease return) based on charging practices.

==
25. Excess Wear. The charge for excess wear will be our estimated or actual cost or repairing wear beyond that reasonably expected with ordinary, everyday use and maintenance according to this lease. It includes (i) parts, accessories and vehicle specifications present in or on the vehicle or provided at delivery being incomplete, modified or replaced with items of inferior quality or design; (ii) any tire with less than 1/8 inch of tread or not part of a matching set of four; (iii) dents, scratches, gouges or cracks in the vehicle's external parts, or glass; (iv) torn or burned interior parts or upholstery; (v) inoperative mechanical or electrical components; and (vi) any damage or neglect resulting from your failure to follow any maintenance schedules or recall advisories we or our affiliate may notify you of.
==

Having read this, this actual makes me feel better about not the [un]likelihood of being charged for the odor in the car upon lease return (I smoke cigars in the car all the time, though admittedly I'm generally able to keep the car smelling pretty fresh).

Seems like Tesla left a lot of latitude for you to trash their property. Go for it. Maybe you lease or rent your residence as well. Imagine the possibilities.

I'd like to hear more about the moral and ethical responsibility towards future owners (or the lessor, as otherwise mentioned in this thread). I can't see any possible argument for this responsibility existing, but I'm certainly willing to listen to an alternative viewpoint. Please elaborate.
Huh.
This is fascinating to me how someone wants it explained to them why there is ethical and moral responsibilities related to this situation. You have been proposing this and cannot understand why there would be anything wrong with it:

I'm going to abuse and mistreat and damage this car on purpose because it won't be any harm to me. It will be harm to someone else instead.

If you don't already understand as a human being why there is a problem with that, I'm not sure anyone can successful explain that to you.

You can't buy the car at the end of a lease, so you're going to treat it like a rental and trash it. You're willingly harming the battery. Tesla clearly tells us not to do that.
I know there are douche Tesla owners, but I like to think we're all brothers and ambassadors for the cars. The used market is going to have a big impact on the company. You want people who can't afford to buy new to be very happy with their used purchase. If the battery degrades excessively they will spread that gospel like wildfire. Unless you're on a road trip it's unnecessary to charge to 100% anyway. So dumb.
Just don't be a douche man. It's simple.

I’ve read a lot of ridiculous posts on here.

OP, you’re cracking the top 5 with this one.

It ironic that someone with Jesus in their handle needs help understanding morality, and wants someone to explain why they should be a decent human being.

I doubt Jesus bowls, but he did say “love your neighbor as yourself (Mark 12:31). So, What Would Jesus Do? Would YOU want to purchase your car after lease? If not, that means you’re probably doing something wrong.

Honestly it sounds like the mods have had to do clean up on the thread due to the communities opinion on your plan.

To me it’s unethical and it leads me to question your morals to intentionally damage the vehicle. Then fell justified because Tesla hasn’t out right forbid it.

You are going to do what you’re going to do regardless of what is said here, Just know this car will likely wind up with a new owner at some point and you’ll be doing that person a disservice by abusing the battery.

Not true. I came to this thread thinking I should just charge to 100% all the time. Based on feedback, I'm now convinced I should charge to 90/95% max each time, unless heading out on a long road trip or if I otherwise expect to not have convenient access to a charting solution for a couple days. I am thankful to the community for the assistance, as always.

Reactions: KerryOH
Honestly it sounds like the mods have had to do clean up on the thread due to the communities opinion on your plan.

To me it’s unethical and it leads me to question your morals to intentionally damage the vehicle. Then fell justified because Tesla hasn’t out right forbid it.

The mods have had to do cleanup because of other members (not me) violating the terms of conduct.

My motivation is not to intentionally damage the vehicle, but rather to operate it in a way that suits me best, within the confines of the lease contract.

I’ve read a lot of ridiculous posts on here.

OP, you’re cracking the top 5 with this one.

It ironic that someone with Jesus in their handle needs help understanding morality, and wants someone to explain why they should be a decent human being.

I doubt Jesus bowls, but he did say “love your neighbor as yourself (Mark 12:31). So, What Would Jesus Do? Would YOU want to purchase your car after lease? If not, that means you’re probably doing something wrong.

My user name has nothing to do with the biblical character of Jesus.

No, I wouldn't want to purchase my (or any) EV off-lease, due to the untested long-term nature of these vehicles.

You can't buy the car at the end of a lease, so you're going to treat it like a rental and trash it. You're willingly harming the battery. Tesla clearly tells us not to do that.
I know there are douche Tesla owners, but I like to think we're all brothers and ambassadors for the cars. The used market is going to have a big impact on the company. You want people who can't afford to buy new to be very happy with their used purchase. If the battery degrades excessively they will spread that gospel like wildfire. Unless you're on a road trip it's unnecessary to charge to 100% anyway. So dumb.
Just don't be a douche man. It's simple.

Here is the manual for the Model 3. The "Charging" section begins on page 142. I see warnings/cautions about not letting the battery discahrge to 0%, and I see suggestions about avoiding extreme ambient temperatures. There's also a note that charging may be limited to 80% at high-usage supercharger sites when not using Trip Planner. Unless I am just not reading this carefully enough, I do not see any suggestion in the manual about avoiding a full charge. I MIGHT BE WRONG HERE ABOUT THE MANUAL LANGUAGE, somebody please point out to me the relevant language if I am incorrect.

• Funny
Reactions: Matsayz
Huh.
This is fascinating to me how someone wants it explained to them why there is ethical and moral responsibilities related to this situation. You have been proposing this and cannot understand why there would be anything wrong with it:

I'm going to abuse and mistreat and damage this car on purpose because it won't be any harm to me. It will be harm to someone else instead.

If you don't already understand as a human being why there is a problem with that, I'm not sure anyone can successful explain that to you.

From what I see in the manual, I fail to see how a full charge constitutes "abuse and mistreat"[ment]. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I see in the manual, I fail to see how a full charge constitutes "abuse and mistreat"[ment]. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The car itself tells you this. If you charge over 90% for a few days in a row, it shows you a warning on the screen that doing this repeatedly is causing long term damage to the battery. If you ignore that warning, you are intentionally mistreating it and causing that damage on purpose. Q.E.D. Here is a thread about the warning message, which has been in all Tesla vehicles for several years.
New charging message/warning

I don't think him charging to 100% or 95% every time alone will kill the car(will do, but not alone). But charging to 90%-100% in combination with "flooring" it all the time like he says, will significantly reduce range. But that doesn't seem to be a person who cares a lot about that so no need to argue or give advice.

Also, that warning message gets logged in the car and Tesla has access to it.

He might start seeing reduced range within the ownership though, not only after. We have seen people do what he does and end up with 15% degradation after 30,000 miles so...

Status
Not open for further replies.