Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For leased TM3P, always charge to full, right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, but in my case my battery seems to regularly get down into the 40-50% range with just normal driving (particularly on weekends when I'm away from my office charging station), so if I can increase my "floor", then I'm increasing performance. Negligible difference or not, it's still important to me to have maximum performance.

Thank you very much for your responses.

You’re welcome.

Honestly it sounds like you’ve already decided what you want to do and are looking for justification. Outside of the name-calling you’re not going to get any sort of validation because it’s just generally bad practice for the car, the environment, drivability, etc.

Anything under 100% is much healthier for the car and substantially reduces battery degradation. Charging to 95% is significantly healthier for the battery than 100%, for example.

Also the TIME spent at 100% is important. If you truly need 100% daily try to time your charging to complete just before you depart for the day. Letting it sit at 100% is the worst case for degradation.

Honestly it sounds like you’ve already decided what you want to do and are looking for justification. Outside of the name-calling you’re not going to get any sort of validation because it’s just generally bad practice for the car, the environment, drivability, etc.

No, I haven't made up my mind. As of right now, based on the information I've learned in this thread, I'm inclined to charge to 90 or 95%, rather than the 80% I'm doing now.

It appears like most of the points have been covered pretty well here. One point that has only been briefly mentioned that I think you should research (or perhaps someone else already has) is this. If you charge every day to 100% and assuming a 3 year lease you could quite likely have less range at 100% at the half way point of your lease then you would have at 90% by charging normally. Put another way your current 100% charge should be about 310 miles and your 90% charge should be 279 more or less. By abusing your battery, in 18 months you may find your 100% charge is only 279 leaving you with less options for that once in a while long trip. I would only charge to 100 % if I was planning to leave on a multiple charge trip and I would only complete the charge within the last hour before I left. Even then, 95% would probably be sufficient. It would certainly seem to me that you could sabotage the last half of your ownership/leasing experience.

Reactions: focher
I charge my 2015 Model S to 90% every night and haven't seen significant degradation of the battery. It currently has about 46K miles on it and still charges to about 259 with a full charge which is only 6 miles of degradation. I bought it with 32 K so no idea how it was treated before I bought it.

Moderator note: several posts have been removed because they were either a personal attack or were a reply quoting the post with the personal attack.

As is clearly stated in the TMC rules, personal attacks are not allowed on TMC. Everyone should already know that.

On TMC, civility is not an option, it is a requirement. Thank you for your cooperation.

Reactions: house9
Personally, I do 90% on both Teslas in our household . They are owned, so not exactly the same as your situation. But I do it because the car feels the exact same every time I drive it. I hate that feeling when I’m expecting regen and it isn’t there. to me it’s like that ABS on a slight ice patch or gravel feeling.

I only go 20 miles/day on one, 45 on the other. But I don’t worry about letting them run down or anything like that. Just charge to 90% whenever I can (or whenever I feel like it). I won’t run out to the garage to charge if I didn’t plug in when I get home.

But what if by then, Tesla has implemented battery diagnostics testing on all lease returns? After all, the single most costly component is the battery and they do have to reuse/sell the returns somehow.

Just thinking out loud, I lease as well...

But what if by then, Tesla has implemented battery diagnostics testing on all lease returns? After all, the single most costly component is the battery and they do have to reuse/sell the returns somehow.

Just thinking out loud, I lease as well...
They do not even need to do diagnostics. They have logs. I have not read lease agreement, but if it says anything about a requirement to ‘not abuse’, they can produce ample evidence of over charging. And, if as suggested upstream there is warning message, it would be hard to plead ignorant.

There is no moral or ethical responsibility whatsoever to the lessor or future owner of the car, as long as I am operating within the contractual terms of the lease (which I am).
But are you? As mentioned above, you do have a contractual responsibility to take care of the car. They have a log of what you do, including charging and excessive charges above 90% could come back and bite you in the tuckus on the lease return.

Besides, there's really NO advantage to charging to 100% and it is just plain good manners to not.

Moderator note: several posts have been removed because they were either a personal attack or were a reply quoting the post with the personal attack.

As is clearly stated in the TMC rules, personal attacks are not allowed on TMC. Everyone should already know that.

On TMC, civility is not an option, it is a requirement. Thank you for your cooperation.
Why you *****, coming in here and ruining all our [bleeeeeep]ing fun. Why can't I say ■■■■■■■ if I want to?!?

;):):D

I've bought lease vehicles in the past, and it's really not a good idea. Most people that lease treat the cars like crap. I've found they don't even want to waste their valuable time taking the car in to have warranty repairs performed, and they definitely do the absolute bare minimum for maintenance.

When there's a pothole or speed bump, they don't go out of their way to be kind to the car -- can you say "ramming speed!"

They don't mind spilling drinks on the carpet or dropping crumbs from all the fast food meals they eat in the car. They don't care what the kids do to the back seat.

They have a limit of damage that can't be bigger than a credit card, so they don't park far away from other cars and walk further to avoid door dings or stay away from big trucks on the road to avoid rock chips. They don't bother to park the car out of the weather to save the paint, trim, and interior materials.

Lease cars get treated like rentals, so why does this OP have to be held to a higher standard than all the other people that lease ICE cars?

Do all that to a lease vehicle and you get a bill upon returning it. Id be really surprised if Tesla doesn’t have some type of charging abuse clause. For sure they have to charge level logs.

No you won't - check the lease agreements. That's my whole point. It becomes the new owner's problem down the road, and the dealers know that so they don't care.

I've bought lease vehicles in the past, and it's really not a good idea. Most people that lease treat the cars like crap.
When there's a pothole or speed bump, they don't go out of their way to be kind to the car -- can you say "ramming speed!"

I remember a joke from a long time ago: "what's the fastest car, when going over speed bumps? a rental car!"

yeah, I would not buy a lease return unless I could inspect it, same as any other used car. buyers know this, or learn it soon enough in their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.