Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those with newer Y's without Radar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What was really cool, was going to Chik-fil-a drive through at night with visualization of every cone & person walking around in Dark mode... felt like real life version of the Sims ! Bouncing was not present when all the cones were along the lines of course but then again I was often stationary

Upvote 0
To be fair, it’s been like that for a while (a month?) even on my MY with radar. More likely to do with the visualization than actual sensor data

Well the bouncing around with trucks seems to be a constant issue with FSD since I've had it. It results in violent change of mind lane changes because it "sees" the truck , where it isn't. I just avoid changing lanes around trucks if possible, or just cancel TACC.

Upvote 0
I can’t tell for sure, but it’s possible that in the latest software update auto steer is not using the radar hardware, though my Y is equipped with it (bought my Y December 2020).

My display seems to have a hard time differentiating between cars and trucks. When driving on a highway at 75mph, the display might show a truck and then a few seconds later show a car, and then go back to a truck. There seems to be a lot more movement in the vehicle display.

Only the Tesla developers would know for sure the cause of this.

Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
Upvote 0
I noticed on my early 2021 MY that autopilot driving seemed less 'sure' of it's lane position starting late last week. Previously when driving on the freeway, the car drove on the freeway very steady in it's lane and did not try to constantly make small adjustments left and right to stay in the middle of the lane. Starting late last week, the car noticeably was 'twitching' constantly and making small adjustments left and right to stay in the middle of the lane like a new teenage driver over the same sections of freeway. After a couple of days of this teenage driving style, things smoothed out again and staying in the center of the lane was nice and back to normal.
Anyone else notice this? BTW, I am sure my car is still using the radar since I can set autopilot to go up to 90.

Upvote 0
I've had some time to test the Autopilot now and it's really pretty bad. First, the onscreen visualization of traffic, lanes, and people is a joke. It jumps all over the place with vehicles disappearing and reappearing randomly. Driving on Autopilot on a well marked highway has already had me manually intervene several times on turns as the vehicle was getting into the highway shoulder for absolutely no reason. It accelerates too briskly and brakes too hard. It doesn't hold steady but makes small left and right micro-adjustments all the time. Sometimes is starts slowing down for no perceivable reason. Currently, Autopilot feels more at Alpha level rather than Beta. I am extremely disappointed with the implementation and have begun festering feelings of anger and resentment towards Tesla as I feel like I've been sold a very expensive cat in a bag.

Upvote 0
I have a 2021 MY i got in June. Based on what I see and don't see on the screen I would not trust Auto pilot if I had it. I don't even use Auto steer while using cruise control. I sometimes see vehicles and sometimes not. It does show the trash can on the side of the street pretty well, but vehicles not always. I think Tesla is years away from a Safe system. What they have today is pretty poor.

Upvote 0
I have a 2021 MY i got in June. Based on what I see and don't see on the screen I would not trust Auto pilot if I had it. I don't even use Auto steer while using cruise control. I sometimes see vehicles and sometimes not. It does show the trash can on the side of the street pretty well, but vehicles not always. I think Tesla is years away from a Safe system. What they have today is pretty poor.
You do know that you do indeed have autopilot right?

Upvote 0