Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Question on what shows on the screen while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So there's 3 types of autopilot from what I've read, default/Enhanced/FSD. Default has the normal set your speed cruise control. Lane centering ability (does it work on freeway turns?), and I'm hoping stop and go traffic? Enhanced has the fancy features like using the navigation to autopilot (btw, does this work anywhere where's there's decent marking on the road? Or is it like supercruise where only certain freeways are supported?), and auto parking (btw, does it only do reverse into parking?), and smart summon (Which sounds good, if I could have the car reverse in a tight parking spot so I can get in.).
Anyways, if I have all that correct, I've seen videos where the tesla display shows your car, and vehicles and people and such around it. Does that work everywhere? Or only if you pay for Enhanced or FSD? It looks neat in that it knows what's a car/truck/Semi on the road.
And I heard on the there's NO turn signal warning. Like on newer cars, it has a light in the mirror to warn you before you thinking of changing lane, or a chime when you turn on your blinker and even some move you back into your lane.
BUT you can have it show you in the display whatever is in your blind spot when you use your blinker? Is that the only safety warning?

Standard Autopilot is just TACC (Traffic-Aware Cruise Control) and Autosteer (lane keeping), and they work on any road with lane markings and handle stop and go traffic. Autosteer is primarily intended for the highway. Enhanced Autopilot adds Auto Lane Change, Navigate on Autopilot, Autopark, Summon, and Smart Summon, but some of those features are temporarily disabled for certain cars. Regular FSD just adds Traffic and Stop Sign Control, but FSD Beta adds Autosteer on City Streets, where the car will take you from point A to B (but you have to pay attention and be ready to intervene). The visualization is the same for everything except FSD Beta, on new cars anyway.

I suggest you read the Autopilot section on the manual to get more details (FSD Beta is not documented here): Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

Upvote 0
Everything stated above, but you should probably just do a ride along with someone that has these features and can show you. The industry is moving so fast that we don’t have common language to communicate in words what exactly some of your questions‘ answers are or aren’t cover or don’t cover, and especially what they look like or don’t look like. E.G. - Production included Autopilot (every new Tesla) is “just” TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control) and Autosteer. Although it’s often compared to LKA (Lane Keep Assist) in other cars, it’s really nothing at all like other car makers’ LKA. It’s much more advanced, works on windy roads, etc.

Upvote 0
Also, the behavior will depend on which model you're talking about and when it was built. For example, new Teslas no longer have ultrasonic sensors (USS) for close-range obstacle detection, so that impacts Park Assist, Autopark, and Summon. The visualization with HW3+ is a bit more detailed than earlier versions. So if you're in the market for a used Tesla, provide some more information about what you're considering.

Upvote 0
Also, the behavior will depend on which model you're talking about and when it was built. For example, new Teslas no longer have ultrasonic sensors (USS) for close-range obstacle detection, so that impacts Park Assist, Autopark, and Summon. The visualization with HW3+ is a bit more detailed than earlier versions. So if you're in the market for a used Tesla, provide some more information about what you're considering.
So a new 2023 MYLR coming from either CA or TX and with only Autopilot has NO park assist? On a $50K car??? How crazy is Elon? Even cheap Toyotas and Nissans selling in the $20K range has at least rear sensors...

Upvote 0
So a new 2023 MYLR coming from either CA or TX and with only Autopilot has NO park assist? On a $50K car??? How crazy is Elon? Even cheap Toyotas and Nissans selling in the $20K range has at least rear sensors...
The lack of Park Assist etc. on cars without USS is temporary situation, and the vision-based versions are already being reintroduced with recent builds, though it will be a while before they work as well as the USS-based versions (if ever). The same is true in Tesla's $100K+ cars.

Upvote 0
The lack of Park Assist etc. on cars without USS is temporary situation, and the vision-based versions are already being reintroduced with recent builds, though it will be a while before they work as well as the USS-based versions (if ever). The same is true in Tesla's $100K+ cars.
But do cars with ONLY Autopilot get "park-assist" (proximity detection to something) back since there are no USS anymore OR are you now expected to purchase Enhanced Autopilot?

And I did see a video where someone compared his new vehicle without USS (but using Tesla Vision) to his older one with USS. So does that mean the USS-less vehicles ARE now getting the necessary software to bring this safety feature back?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
But do cars with ONLY Autopilot get "park-assist" (proximity detection to something) back since there are no USS anymore OR are you now expected to purchase Enhanced Autopilot?

And I did see a video where someone compared his new vehicle without USS (but using Tesla Vision) to his older one with USS. So does that mean the USS-less vehicles ARE now getting the necessary software to bring this safety feature back?

Thanks.
Park Assist is a standard feature on all Teslas, but Autopark and Summon require EAP or FSD. As I noted above, recent builds have reintroduced Park Assist based on Tesla Vision in cars that don’t have USS, but it doesn’t (yet) work as well as the USS-based feature.

Reactions: FMinMI
Upvote 0