Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Mach-e

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I was ready to dismiss Ford's effort at an EV, but after reading/viewing all the reviews the last few days, I have to say I am impressed with the Mach-e. For those of you considering a Model Y (as I am), I think you have to consider the Mach-e as well. I will not go into the pros and cons here, but I encourage you to check out some of the You Tube reviews. If I were going to pull the trigger today I think I would go with the Mach-e (can't believe I just wrote that).

Curious as to what others think?

Just found this video which provides a good quick summary of the Mach-e

Last edited:
Reactions: glide and jmaddr
Well, I was ready to dismiss Ford's effort at an EV, but after reading/viewing all the reviews the last few days, I have to say I am impressed with the Mach-e. For those of you considering a Model Y (as I am), I think you have to consider the Mach-e as well. I will not go into the pros and cons here, but I encourage you to check out some of the You Tube reviews. If I were going to pull the trigger today I think I would go with the Mach-e (can't believe I just wrote that).

Mach-e has been discussed quite a few times here.

Why not buy a Mustang Mach-E?

Reactions: imola.zhp
No and No. :rolleyes:

Take your shilling somewhere else.

Just found this video which provides a good quick summary of the Mach-e

• Disagree
Reactions: glide

I LOVE the fact that Ford has stepped up to the plate BIG TIME with the unfortunately named "Mustang Mach-E"
This is exactly what the EV market needs, real challengers.

However:
  • The Mach-E has a range of 210 miles for $44,000. The 300 mile car should be $50,000.
    • BUT the Ford has the $7,500 tax credit.
    • It has a few good features
    • It has an interior well-designed for people who don't know what they don't need
  • A Model Y is the same price, and has a range of 326 miles.
  • The Ford has some lame-ass Ford software package that may or may not have software updates.
  • The Ford has an anemic acceleration of 6.1 sec 0-60, compared to 4.8 seconds for the Tesla.
    • That is a significant difference.
    • This means that the Ford is underpowered on the motor side to make up for the efficiency and battery chemistry gap.
    • This will show up in all aspects of the car's performance.
  • The Ford is RWD, not AWD.
    • This affects cold-weather performance
    • This affects drivability in the case of motor failure
    • This affects all around performance
    • This affects safety in evasive maneuvers
  • AWD will be available, but at a significant range cost.
  • The Ford will not be easily available, because of demand, so expect price hikes.
  • The Ford has no charging infrastructure.
  • The Ford will be sold out of Ford dealerships.
  • The Ford will be serviced out of Ford dealerships
  • It's a Ford.
  • It's really ugly.
  • It's interior is even uglier. And weird.
  • No Autopilot, much less FSD.

I'd rather have a Model Y, but good on you Ford!

Efficiency is disappointing, so the Ford is a no go for me. It's a solid offering from Ford without a doubt - it's great to have viable competition. It offers some really interesting & cool features. Tesla needs to step up their game to make the Y more compelling with meaningful software features & updates. Emissions mode & arcade was good for shits & giggles but it's time to get serious.

Reactions: Whatstreet
Mach-e has been discussed quite a few times here.

Why not buy a Mustang Mach-E?

Agree with this, no need for two posts...

but since OP brought up video reviews, check out this review regarding the charging speeds...

If the car does have OTA updates, perhaps they can improve on this over time but currently looks like MME falls short when it comes to DCFC speeds.

Reactions: Whatstreet
I didn't expect my post to be greeted with a lot of support since this is a Tesla forum, but for persons considering an EV, I think the Mach-e is a serious contender. Appears Ldub22's facts are wrong/dated: The Mach-e Premium model ($54,700) with the extended range battery and all wheel drive has a stated range of 270 miles and 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. The reviewers who released their driving impressions this week indicated that the 270 miles range is actually realistic (unlike Tesla's estimated ranges -so they are likely comparable). They also said they achieved 4.9-5.0 0-60 times.

To me, here are the advantages of the Ford:
  • Better build quality. This is not yet known for sure, but it has to be better than Tesla. At least Ford does dealer prep - where the dealer looks at the car before delivering it. Seems Tesla expects the customer to do this review - thus the checklists.
  • Better tuned suspension. Reviewers said it is still sporty and the steering feel is good, but not nearly as harsh as the Model Y.
  • Brakes that combine regen with mechanical braking when you press the brake pedal. My understanding is the Model Y pedal is mechanical only.
  • A second screen in front of the driver.
  • Apple Car Play.
  • Appears Waze and Tidal (and others?) are also built into the Sync system - separately from CarPlay.
  • Better adaptive cruise - with the Tesla, if you turn the steering wheel the system disengages and you have to reset it. Appears the Mach-e system allows you to change lanes manually and it will reengage as soon as you are centered into another lane (like Hyundai). Also, and most importantly, a future update (it will have over the air updates) in the Mach-e will allow for full hands free driving through the use of the eye sensors on the steering wheel column (like Cadillac Super Cruise). Only works for pre-mapped roads, but almost all divided highways are mapped. Without the eye sensors it will still lane center on any road. I know Tesla is working on FSD, but I think this is still just a (dangerous) experiment.
  • Not a single reviewer noticed any kind of phantom braking since the Ford combines sensors with cameras. My understanding is that Tesla is cameras only.
  • Home Link included at no additional cost
  • Real buttons for wipers and glove compartment (not really a big deal to me)
  • 360 overhead camera view
  • Roof compartment for sunglasses
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Kick sensor for trunk
  • Rear cross traffic alert
  • Many more Ford dealers than Tesla stores for service. The Tesla store is actually closer to me than the nearest Ford dealer, so that is not an issue for me, but likely is for many others.
Seems like Ford read this forum and really addressed all the concerns Model Y owners have been the Y.

Biggest advantages of the Tesla are the cool factor and the Supercharging network. I have two cars and a garage in which to charge, so the charging network is not a big deal to me.

Just trying to be objective and inform those of us evaluating purchasing an EV. No reason to get nasty just because you love your Tesla.

I didn't expect my post to be greeted with a lot of support since this is a Tesla forum, but for persons considering an EV, I think the Mach-e is a serious contender. Appears Ldub22's facts are wrong/dated: The Mach-e Premium model ($54,700) with the extended range battery and all wheel drive has a stated range of 270 miles and 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. The reviewers who released their driving impressions this week indicated that the 270 miles range is actually realistic (unlike Tesla's estimated ranges -so they are likely comparable). They also said they achieved 4.9-5.0 0-60 times.

Weird, in this video they could only get 5.37 0-60 at 60% SOC, starts at 3:00

PS: That fake acceleration sound is so annoying in the video.

I wish more people will like and buy the Ford Mach=e so that Tesla can step up its game and make a truly 300 mile real world range model Y. The only additional things I would like are conventional buttons for wipers and a rear cross traffic alert and a better blind view alert.

The Mach E will sell well. The Ford is quite a bit less efficient (>25%) by EPA standards. Bigger battery, less miles per kWh. More down time charging and higher cost to run. Many won't care, it's worlds better than driving an ICE.

Some of the Mach-E's features can & should be matched with software by Tesla - my biggest pet peeve is the standard AP system. It disengages when changing lanes - a horrible implementation of LKAS (lane keep assist). Ford seemed to have done it right like the rest of market offerings. Tesla can improve BSM with showing side & rear view cameras on signaling. Wipers can be fixed with button press sequences on the stalk...

• Brakes that combine regen with mechanical braking when you press the brake pedal. My understanding is the Model Y pedal is mechanical only.
  • Apple Car Play.
  • Better adaptive cruise - with the Tesla, if you turn the steering wheel the system disengages and you have to reset it. Appears the Mach-e system allows you to change lanes manually and it will reengage as soon as you are centered into another lane (like Hyundai). Also, and most importantly, a future update (it will have over the air updates) in the Mach-e will allow for full hands free driving through the use of the eye sensors on the steering wheel column (like Cadillac Super Cruise). Only works for pre-mapped roads, but almost all divided highways are mapped. Without the eye sensors it will still lane center on any road. I know Tesla is working on FSD, but I think this is still just a (dangerous) experiment.

A few of these advantages only appear to be an advantage if you've never driven a Tesla and look at reviews created by people who don't drive a Tesla as their daily car. For example, single pedal driving is one of the best features of a Tesla. Not having to repeatedly switch your foot between the accelerator and brake pedals makes city driving much less stressful. After a few months of driving one, you'll be wondering why other EVs bother with blended brakes (in tech-speak, it's for "legacy support").

To me, here are the advantages of the Ford:
  • Better build quality. This is not yet known for sure, but it has to be better than Tesla. At least Ford does dealer prep - where the dealer looks at the car before delivering it. Seems Tesla expects the customer to do this review - thus the checklists.
  • Better tuned suspension. Reviewers said it is still sporty and the steering feel is good, but not nearly as harsh as the Model Y.
  • Apple Car Play.
  • Appears Waze and Tidal (and others?) are also built into the Sync system - separately from CarPlay.
  • Not a single reviewer noticed any kind of phantom braking since the Ford combines sensors with cameras. My understanding is that Tesla is cameras only.
  • Home Link included at no additional cost
  • Real buttons for wipers and glove compartment (not really a big deal to me)
  • 360 overhead camera view
  • Roof compartment for sunglasses
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Kick sensor for trunk
  • Rear cross traffic alert
  • Many more Ford dealers than Tesla stores for service. The Tesla store is actually closer to me than the nearest Ford dealer, so that is not an issue for me, but likely is for many others.
Seems like Ford read this forum and really addressed all the concerns Model Y owners have been the Y.

Biggest advantages of the Tesla are the cool factor and the Supercharging network. I have two cars and a garage in which to charge, so the charging network is not a big deal to me.

Just trying to be objective and inform those of us evaluating purchasing an EV. No reason to get nasty just because you love your Tesla.

I wasn't being nasty, what a weird comment!
The biggest advantages of the Tesla are best batteries, best software, best on-board computing, over-the-air software updates, best programming team, best performance, and the charging network. That's a lot of bests. For example, the Ford has an 88 kW battery for less range than the Tesla. That is significant.
I appreciate your trying to be objective, but you really aren't, because this product for Ford is aspirational. You, like so many other people, are mixing coming/promised features as if they are actually here. For example, the AWD isn't even for sale within the next 6 months. It hasn't even been tested or had range confirmation. Why is this relevant? The door swings BOTH WAYS. Tesla will be using 4080 batteries by then, and may have moved the range bar, may have heated steering wheel, may have 360 bird's eye view, may have cross traffic alert, may have installed Homelink, and most importantly, may have other features that we aren't even thinking of.. Note I didn't sell any of those "features" in my previous post, because they aren't here!
Have you ever experienced Ford build quality?
Have you ever experienced Ford Dealership technical competence?
Have you ever experienced Ford dealer negotiation techniques?

Also:

A roof compartment for sunglasses? Wow, sign me up!
The second screen is nice, I have one in my S, which goes away tomorrow when I get my MYP.
I have no use for Apple Car Play or Waze. I have friends who say that Waze is on it's way out. I don't know.
The "Mustang Mach-E" is taste-specific, inside and out. But that's MY opinion.

However, when you buy the Ford, let us know!

A few of these advantages only appear to be an advantage if you've never driven a Tesla and look at reviews created by people who don't drive a Tesla as their daily car. For example, single pedal driving is one of the best features of a Tesla. Not having to repeatedly switch your foot between the accelerator and brake pedals makes city driving much less stressful. After a few months of driving one, you'll be wondering why other EVs bother with blended brakes (in tech-speak, it's for "legacy support").

Blended braking is good for preference.

I'm driving our Kona EV with Regen 3, and my wife drives with Regen 0.

I have no complaints with people who believe that when doing nothing (i.e. foot off the both pedals) the car should coast, rather than brake rapidly. Heavy regen isn't intuitive.

Reactions: frankvb
Ldub22, my nasty comment was not pointed at you. It was pointed at the earlier comment calling me a shill (which I guess is really not a nasty thing to say). Responses to a few comments above:
  • The Mach-E has one footed driving (which I love), but my wife will likely not use that so having regen blended with the mechanical braking is an advantage. I would not consider an EV that does not have one footed driving.
  • Ford will do over the air updates
  • You said the AWD has not been tested/confirmed. Most of the many, many YouTube reviews released this week were in the AWD long range and many commented that the 270 mile range seems realistic - which seems to be what the Model Y LR gets.
  • You may not value a roof compartment for sunglasses but many do
  • The community feature of Waze for indicating the presence of police is unmatched and I will not drive without it - even though I also use a radar detector. I have not heard Waze is going away.
  • The Mach-E does not have fart mode, but I am sure I can compensate for that (although my family may not appreciate it).
  • I have never experienced Ford build quality, but at least they paint the entire car :)
  • Alex on Autos review mentioned that many Ford dealers have committed to no mark-ups for the Mach-E. I guess we will see

Ldub22, my nasty comment was not pointed at you. It was pointed at the earlier comment calling me a shill (which I guess is really not a nasty thing to say). Responses to a few comments above:
  • The Mach-E has one footed driving (which I love), but my wife will likely not use that so having regen blended with the mechanical braking is an advantage. I would not consider an EV that does not have one footed driving.
  • Ford will do over the air updates
  • You said the AWD has not been tested/confirmed. Most of the many, many YouTube reviews released this week were in the AWD long range and many commented that the 270 mile range seems realistic - which seems to be what the Model Y LR gets.
  • You may not value a roof compartment for sunglasses but many do
  • The community feature of Waze for indicating the presence of police is unmatched and I will not drive without it - even though I also use a radar detector. I have not heard Waze is going away.
  • The Mach-E does not have fart mode, but I am sure I can compensate for that (although my family may not appreciate it).
  • I have never experienced Ford build quality, but at least they paint the entire car :)
  • Alex on Autos review mentioned that many Ford dealers have committed to no mark-ups for the Mach-E. I guess we will see

Seems like some Tesla owners will run Waze on their mobile phone when taking long trips. I've seen some use a mount beside the tablet for their mobile device. We run multiple mapping programs when we travel in our non-Tesla now (we don't have our car yet) so running Waze on a separate device when we do get our Tesla won't be any different.

I have no idea what % of Tesla owners do this but it was interesting to read that others use more than one mapping program like we have been doing for 5+ years.

EDIT: I sure hope Ford sells all that they make of them, the more EV's we have the better. But it isn't a vehicle we are considering. Additionally, once you see that goofy smile on the lower front bumper, you cannot un-see it. The vehicle looks like its straight out of the Disney "Cars" animated films. You have to step up to the GT to get rid of the smile.