Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Mustang Mach E Needs a Rethink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased a Ford Mustang Mach E in June 2022. 6 months later, trading it in for a MYLR.

Looking back, this car needs to be rethought. Ford's custom configuration / dealer purchasing model creates huge disadvantages for buyers, the features / pricing isn't well thought out, the charging situation is patchwork at best, and the software is inferior to a linked cell phone. It strikes me as first generation technology that would benefit from substantial innovation.

For those considering buying one, educate yourself thoroughly before proceeding. There are many pitfalls along the way.

Purchasing Process - Never Buy from a Dealer

Let's dispel the myth the MME is a "hot" car. Scarcity on dealer lots results from the delivery process. This perception is used against buyers to justify additional dealer markups.

Typically, people reserve a Mach E and receive it 6 - 12 months later. Dealers get these cars when buyers refuse delivery on a reservation.

The trouble with this model is reservation fees are fully refundable. It costs nothing for a buyer to refuse delivery, which creates a situation where dealers are mostly stocking base configurations or maxed out feature packages no one actually wants. When I was buying, it was almost impossible to get a mid-range configuration package (called a Premium,) while Selects and top of the line GTs were abundant.

You start to see the problem when you consider someone buying from a dealer probably hasn't done any research on the full line. In my situation, my old car died and I had about a week to make a decision. I test drove an MME Premium on a Saturday and left without buying. Checked in the next day, the car I drove was already sold but the salesman said there would be another later in the week. He would not be able to hold it, but told me exactly when to be there to make sure I was first in line. Arrived at the dealership, after a brief inspection I moved forward with the purchase.

In retrospect, this was a mistake. The car I test drove was a Premium, the car I bought was a Select. In terms of differences, there was no 360 degree camera, no power lift gates, no heated seats, no front-facing camera, and more. My fault for not thinking this through, but I really wasn't aware of the differences between a Select and a Premium at the time. The lack of those features was consequential. Ford has an autopilot clone called BlueCruise, the lack of a front-facing camera means the car can never take advantage of this feature (incidentally, Ford advertised BlueCruise as a standard feature on all MMEs.) The hardware can't be upgraded.

The price was above MSRP. Had I reserved it, the price would have been $46k. With dealer add ons and optional service packages, the total price was $52k before delivery, taxes, title, and fees. While some of this could be chalked up to urgency, I spent about $6k more than I needed by going through a dealer. Had I custom ordered, the additional features in the Premium would have cost less than the difference.

Never buy an MME from a dealer. If you are forced to, educate yourself on the line beforehand. The Select is a technological dead end.

The MME was Subject to Recall

The day before I purchased the MME, Ford recalled it. While selling a new car subject to recall is illegal, they did it anyway.

I got a call 3 days after purchase telling me the car can brick when I charge it. Don't charge it and bring it back to the dealer until it can be fixed. They had no timeframe for a fix.

As it turned out, the fix took a week. I did receive a loaner during that time so it wasn't a complete inconvenience. But it was unsettling, buying a car and not being able to enjoy it for a week.

The Battery and the Patchwork of Chargers

Ford marketing gives you the impression the range is fine and you're well supported by a nationwide network of fast chargers. That's misleading.

The standard range battery for an MME is rated at 220 miles. The extended range for an MME is rated at 270 miles.

My experience was range did not translate well into miles travelled, my guess is it was about 10% lower on average in the summer. In the winter, the standard range battery drops to 160 miles, lower on really cold days. There were days this winter I was getting 1 mile per percent of range. Creates a massive amount of anxiety getting into your car and wondering what the numbers are going to look like today.

The charging network is a patchwork between Electrify America, Chargepoint, EvGo and a few others. You can find them in any dense urban environment, but they are few and far between as you get away from the coast. Ford offers a navigation app, superficially similar to Tesla's. It will list the closest chargers to your location, even if they are beyond the maximum range of your car. We relied instead on a mobile app called ABRP when we were away from home, which had a more complete list that includes chargers not in the network.

The time to charge is an issue. The maximum charge rate for the MME is 70kw. Even if you are on one that goes 300kw, the best you will ever do is 70kw. But I don't believe I ever saw the full 70kw, typically I was charging at around 40kw max.

Can't overstate how complicated the charger situation made road trips.

Travelling in rural PA, there were no chargers in the network anywhere near us. One morning, I had to get up at 2 while the family slept to charge on a level 2 charger behind a car dealership. It was the only one for 50 miles, and it took 15% off the battery getting there and back. On a trip to West Virginia, we found ourselves in a charging desert, again with no chargers for 50 miles from our cabin. To ensure we would not run out of juice, we just parked and didn't use the car. Anything beyond a few miles walking was out of reach for us.

For both trips, even when we found fast chargers, The amount of time spent at chargers dragged things out. In one case, a 4 hour drive turned into an 8 hour drive. My wife frequently asked what the point of a road trip was in this car.

Ford's Inadequate Technology

Ford overpromises with the technology. It's present, but we found it to be lacking.

The MME comes with dongles for different drivers to offer some personalization features. It has an interior camera which (I believe) does facial recognition. It also has an app that allows remote start and recognizes when you are present to automatically unlock the doors.

This never worked for us. Despite the fact we created individual profiles tied to each dongle / cell phone, the MME only ever recognized my wife as the driver. If I wanted personalized settings, I had to manually select them from the tablet. We devoted a fair amount of time to this feature before deciding it was unimportant because the only thing you can really personalize is drive modes. It's easier to just select a different one when you get in the car.

The MME comes with a number of apps. Most of them proved inferior to their counterparts on our cell phones.

The navigation app is the big one, it's supposed to give you directions and guide you to chargers. The directions suffer from the lack of real time information on traffic. The shortest route is often the most heavily trafficked, but also the maps did not reflect new development and road closures. The first time I tried using it, I was sent to a road that had been blocked off for construction for months. The charger listings are overwhelming. You either get a list of their in-network charging partners - who are often no where near you - or you get to sort through a list of every level 1 and level 2 charger by distance. This is probably the area with the most room for improvement in the whole car.

The energy app is the only one that doesn't replicate something from our phones. It breaks down how much power is being consumed by different activities. We found we didn't have much of a use for it, primarily because the range was so short. We were more interested in finding the next charger than optimizing our battery usage.

The voice command system is very basic and needs some improvements. First off, there are some commands it would suggest, like changing the volume, but not recognize. But the big issue was when the voice command entry would be triggered by someone speaking on a podcast. This happened frequently enough to be a problem, someone would say something and the screen would switch off the maps to a full screen voice command interface. To clear it, I would need to interact with the screen. When the podcast would start up, it would rewind a few seconds and repeat the process.

As I mentioned, BlueCruise is Ford's autopilot equivalent. There's no way to use it on a Select because you don't have the front-facing cameras. What you do get is Enhanced Cruise Control, which gives you lane assist and automatic breaking. This was not bad and the feature I used most often.

I could go on, but basically: we rarely used the voice commands and the only apps we really used were on our phones. Other than the enhanced cruise control, this car didn't do much for us from a technology standpoint.

2021_Ford_Mustang_Mach-E_EXT_Range_AWD.jpg

"2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E EXT Range AWD" by Calreyn88 is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog feed thumbnail.

One interesting thing I saw in a youtube video where they were drag racing an MYP vs the top end MME- it turns out that the MME will only give you full power for the first 5 seconds and then cuts back to a gimped power level to protect the batteries. So it will appear to be even with the MYP in 0-60 tests but it falls behind hard for longer distances like 1/4 mile, highway pulls etc.

Yeah I checked and the MME is .1s slower 0-60 but .6s slower in the 1/4 and it traps nearly 15mph slower.
MACH E GT performance is listed at 3.5 sec 0-60. But yes apparently for short bursts.
MYP 3.5 Sec 0-60. I dont have stats but that same acceleration seems to hold until you reach top speed. Very linear feel.

MYP is/was when I bought it 57000.
MEGT I think prices closer to 70k. after you go to sleazebags and make sure you have the same/less features than a MYP.

MEGT Lame batteries, Lame user interface, Crap suspension, 1.3 miles of extra cable, etc.

They keep harping on Tesla Quality. That's laughable from the big three. Weve all had falling head panels broken ICE engines poor alignments etc. My Grand Cherokee was a lemon. Yes Tesla had some early manufacturing challenges but thats what happens when you are at the forefront of modern age design. New ideas, new designs new problems new electric motor concepts. My current MYP2023 is flawless so far.

One interesting thing I saw in a youtube video where they were drag racing an MYP vs the top end MME- it turns out that the MME will only give you full power for the first 5 seconds and then cuts back to a gimped power level to protect the batteries. So it will appear to be even with the MYP in 0-60 tests but it falls behind hard for longer distances like 1/4 mile, highway pulls etc.

Yeah I checked and the MME is .1s slower 0-60 but .6s slower in the 1/4 and it traps nearly 15mph slower.
Yeah and 70K for it. For an underperforming vehicle with poorly sourced parts that can overheat easily.

Ford has no business criticizing Tesla as they have sunk to a new low. There must some subliminal hypnosis going on with their ads as people are still giving them money for these things. Then they turn around and wonder why they're stuck in the middle of somewhere with some strange message on the screen.

Yeah MME was barely comparable to MYP before the price cuts but now it's just a slaughter.

I just love how hard the MYP pulls at pretty much every speed from idle to triple digit speeds.
I've had my P90D X for 7 years and it never grows old stepping on the accelerator.

I've had my P90D X for 7 years and it never grows old stepping on the accelerator.
That is in a class by itself ;) Once my kids are old enough in a few years to take MYP off my hands gonna beast up to faster..
Yeah MME was barely comparable to MYP before the price cuts but now it's just a slaughter.

I just love how hard the MYP pulls at pretty much every speed from idle to triple digit speeds.
I went after a Corvette the other day that was itching for a beatdown...MYP went from 70....to 135 caught up to the Vette. Had to ease off the pedal. I thought I was going 90 but in just those few seconds I was doing 135(freaked myself out).

My buddy works at Stellantis they bought what was it Peaugot to get some EV knowhow. Now he is in Parris dealing with a revolution (Not in Technology)..but pitchforks cause they raised retirement from 62 to 64!!

I had moisture in the right taillight, a known issue. I entered the Tesla app, took the first available appointment, and 3 days later a mobile tech showed up and replaced it in under 10 minutes, no questions asked.

A dealership, after trying to weasel their way out of the warranty replacement, would likely have taken half a day to do the installation, possibly leaving some nice scratches on the paint. No thanks!

Have had that issue with multiple dealers too. I think it's the dealer vs maker issue which TSLA does not have. Of course a good dealer would fight for customer, it's rare though depending on maker, not Ford for sure.

The OP had a Select which is to be nice... a budget trim.

I ditched my Y in November and kept my Mach-E and i4 for two main reasons. BlueCruise and 360 camera. I would 100% buy another Y if they added USS back and a 360 camera. BlueCruise is the icing for the MME. I’ve driven to Miami and back (500 miles) with 90% of hands free. I’ve heard SuperCruise is even better. I do miss Tesla audio quality, voice control, and sentry. I don’t miss the poor rear visibility though.

Current pricing on the Mach-E sucks and I would not recommend it at 2023 prices even with the tax credit. At 2022 prices where it was $56K for a loaded Premium plus $7500 tax credit… sure.

Of course I still think the i4 is a vastly superior EV to the Mach-E, Y, and my new Ioniq 5 Limited. I recently traded away my i4 for a Sequoia TRD Pro as something fun and different. EVs are very much appliances to me.

I wouldn't recommend a Mach-E period. Not until Ford improves the thermal system and it becomes dependable enough for hassle-free long distance driving. In other words, maybe in 5 to 10 years Ford time. And yes, I know people have been making long trips, however, it's just a ticking time bomb as Ford hasn't fixed the HVBJB issue for certain.

I consider the Y several orders of magnitude more reliable when all things are considered. As for BlueCruise, the reviews are all over the place. I'd have to test it myself.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
As for BlueCruise, the reviews are all over the place. I'd have to test it myself.

I love BlueCruise. I drove hands free 90% of the way from Orlando to Miami and back. It's better than sliced bread. I've done the same trip before with Autopilot and it was a mess - disengaging all the time.

Model Y is a solid overall EV but I would not take a Y on a long road trip. The firm suspension is tiresome as is the high NVH (road + wind noise). I still recommend a modern luxury (or near luxury) gas SUV for long road trips. Modern SUV have some serious refinement and comfort.

Reactions: vickh
I love BlueCruise. I drove hands free 90% of the way from Orlando to Miami and back. It's better than sliced bread. I've done the same trip before with Autopilot and it was a mess - disengaging all the time.

Model Y is a solid overall EV but I would not take a Y on a long road trip. The firm suspension is tiresome as is the high NVH (road + wind noise). I still recommend a modern luxury (or near luxury) gas SUV for long road trips. Modern SUV have some serious refinement and comfort.
I’ve driven my S all over the US and Canada and wouldn’t change it for any gas SUV.

On a trip from Miami to Tampa, all I saw were 3s and Ys. I'd guess they're the most driven EVs on long trips. They may not be the most comfortable but they get the job done. I won't hesitate to drive cross country.

Yup. When I drove my 3 to Miami and back.. I stopped at the Turnpike Superchargers and they were mostly full but the CCS chargers were empty. They are slightly busier now.

Also... some of the 3 and Y drivers I spoke to were sometimes renting the Teslas. Heck... almost ALL the Polestar 2 drivers I've met at CCS chargers were renters. I myself rented a P2 in Austin and had to use public charging.

"Not the most comfortable" is an understatement. I drove 200 miles to trade in my Y for a BMW i4 last fall and it was night and day in noise and comfort. They were the same price back then.

A Corolla gets the job done too... for $50K you can get a nice gas SUV with creature comforts. IMO EVs are not great values and explains why resale is so poor on used ones. Maybe in CA where gas is $5/gallon it financially make sense but elsewhere you get more value and comfort at the same price point in a gas SUV.

The cost of EV ownership depends on a lot of factors that can vary quite a bit from person to person. I have access to free charging at work and live around 20 miles away round trip. Plus, when I factor in the lower maintenance, the performance, and the convenience of home charging, it's tough to beat.

Just not having to stop at a gas station, or charger (except for about 5 days or so a year) is a win. And I have yet to drive an ICE vehicle that can mimic the smoothness and acceleration / deceleration feel of a transmission-less drivetrain. Also, the initial cost of similar performing gas cars is usually higher, sometimes much higher. And they tend to cost more to own out of warranty. Yes, you can point to advantages of owning one, but that would depend heavily on a person's priorities and needs.

For me, EV ownership has too many advantages to give it up for gas.

The cost of EV ownership depends on a lot of factors that can vary quite a bit from person to person. I have access to free charging at work and live around 20 miles away round trip. Plus, when I factor in the lower maintenance, the performance, and the convenience of home charging, it's tough to beat.

Just not having to stop at a gas station, or charger (except for about 5 days or so a year) is a win. And I have yet to drive an ICE vehicle that can mimic the smoothness and acceleration / deceleration feel of a transmission-less drivetrain. Also, the initial cost of similar performing gas cars is usually higher, sometimes much higher. And they tend to cost more to own out of warranty. Yes, you can point to advantages of owning one, but that would depend heavily on a person's priorities and needs.

For me, EV ownership has too many advantages to give it up for gas.
Good points and agreed. Add to that as ICE sales continue to decline which they have at a rapid rate gas/oil volume will also decline and most certainly compound the cost of those resources in a short amount of time. I have no doubt fuel costs will sky rocket in a few years as their margins decline making EV sales a No brainer.

Good points and agreed. Add to that as ICE sales continue to decline which they have at a rapid rate gas/oil volume will also decline and most certainly compound the cost of those resources in a short amount of time. I have no doubt fuel costs will sky rocket in a few years as their margins decline making EV sales a No brainer.

I think other uses for crude/gas will subsidize the costs. Q is whether our/US indirect subsidies like military spending continue?

I think other uses for crude/gas will subsidize the costs. Q is whether our/US indirect subsidies like military spending continue?
I have my doubts that oil will be subsidized. In fact, I expect it will be taxed heavily. As to mil spending the issues at hand are now Taiwan and Europe so not sure we see a change but certainly there will be less interest in the middle east, It's about damn time.

Lower demand for petroleum isn't going to make their costs go up, until for decades when the expertise and capital has declined so significantly---like how expensive would whale oil be today vs 1870?

It's straight up depletion and the middle east has to feed their spoiled and rapidly growing population.

Reactions: vickh
I have my doubts that oil will be subsidized. In fact, I expect it will be taxed heavily. As to mil spending the issues at hand are now Taiwan and Europe so not sure we see a change but certainly there will be less interest in the middle east, It's about damn time.

I meant our mil spending as an indirect subsidy will stop, so I agree. This is why MBS is throwing a tantrum and lowering supply/raise prices

Regardless no brainer to shift to EVs long term and even short term for some states with high gas prices. My fam. in TX disagrees and they're right financially... for now