Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford says owners can start using superchargers today (Feb 29)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I said “depending on location”.. out here, the uncharge is ~ 16 cents per kw extra… so 80 x .16 gets one to 12.80..so, you got me, its not 80 exactly
Whatever it is, it's a round trip with a decent chunk of charging each way.

Adding to the fee narrows the market and just helps all the other networks that are expanding and competing with the help of NEVI.

EVGo most expensive sub is $13. They have 3 levels. $0.99 just waives session fees, $7 they say up to 20% saved, $13 they say up to 30% saved.
EA Pass+ is $7. 25% discount on charging.

I am heading to a store for popcorn to watch supercharger fistfights on TikTok and Youtube.
I said this in another thread.

If the 3rd party EV requires 2 or more stalls to charge. What happens when they arrive at a Supercharger and there is a line? How are they going to get multiple stalls?

If they park like the guy below and a Tesla takes the stall to the left and right, how do they leave?

My guess? "The outsider" is going to find out the Tesla Supercharger isn't an easy or friendly place to get a charge.

maxresdefault.jpg

1709317502662.png

Not sure what this picture is, but I love it!
1709317628497.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
so no 72 KW SuperChargers for non-tesla vehicles?

that's disappointing.

The urban chargers in and arround Manhattan are my primary source of charging my S85D. I had intended on getting an R1S in Januray 2024 for my birthday but when my 85D battery pack failed in November fo 2023 and I had it replaced, I pushed my plans for the R1S back for a few years (incidentally Rivian has been "hounding" me about finally ordering my R1S and I have been presently ignoring them given my "new" Model S battery.)

I figured this would give Rivian a chance to actually switch the charging port to NACS.. but the loss of access to Urban SCers would really put a damper on my plans.

the parking garages with level 2 charging are unrelable or congested and I often return to my car after leaving it at a destination charger overnight only to find that my car has been unplugged and moved to facilitate charging another vehicle. so I have spent $45 to get only ~180 miles of rated range. not ideal.

which is why I like to hit urban SCers instead.

EVGo most expensive sub is $13. They have 3 levels. $0.99 just waives session fees, $7 they say up to 20% saved, $13 they say up to 30% saved.
EA Pass+ is $7. 25% discount on charging.
But the Tesla subscription has more value. (At least in my opinion.) It gives you the discount at more sites, and those sites have more working stalls. Sure, EA's monthly fee is half as much, but on average their sites only have 2 "working" stalls, and almost always have lines during busy times.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
If the 3rd party EV requires 2 or more stalls to charge. What happens when they arrive at a Supercharger and there is a line? How are they going to get multiple stalls?

If they park like the guy below and a Tesla takes the stall to the left and right, how do they leave?

My guess? "The outsider" is going to find out the Tesla Supercharger isn't a easy or friendly place to get a charge.
It hasn't seemed to be a big issue in Europe where they have had Superchargers open for a long time.

I don't think they have the SC demand we see in California, especially on a heavily traveled routes like SoCal to Las Vegas on a weekend.
That is likely true, and I think the Ford, and other brand, owners are going the be disappointed that some large sites aren't open to them at all. (Like Baker, CA, which likely isn't open because it is a mixed V2 and V3 site.)

Reactions: Falcon73

My guess? "The outsider" is going to find out the Tesla Supercharger isn't an easy or friendly place to get a charge.

Not to mention the fact that the Ford F 150 lightning can have a battery that is 100-130 kw, so charging could take easily 20-30% MORE time than say model 3 or Y to go from ~ 10% to 80%. So not only could they take up 1-3 spaces, but the could take them up overall for easily more time.

Reactions: Falcon73
This really limits the number of chargers open to non-Tesla EVs. Or we can look at it as keeping V2 charges open solely to Teslas. Slower yes, but it's better than waiting on non-Tesla owners who have filled up all the chargers. Plus many "legacy" Teslas like my 2016 MX can't charge above 125 kW.
Yep that's why most of the non-Tesla EV manufacturers are indicating access to 15k Tesla SC stalls. That's not all of the V3 stalls of course - and it doesn't include any V2 stalls. Tesla posted yesterday that they have been busy for the past several months touching most of the 15000 V3 stalls to install newer boards that are J3400 compatible - because most of the stalls were only native NACS protocol previously - now they support both native NACS and the J3400 CCS based NAC protocol (which is what the new SAE J3400 standard actually is). So until/unless the V2 and remaining V3 stations are also updated with the newer boards - they won't be NACS J3400 compatible either - meaning no third party BEVs will work with this subset of SCs. I suspect most stalls will be updated over time - whether by upgrade (v2 to v3/v4) or just upgrading the boards. I'm sure at some point newly built SCs started using the updated boards that provide J3400 procotol support as well - I'd guess any SC brought online as of last fall best estimate, and of course all net new SCs will support J3400 NACS by design.

Last edited:

View attachment 1023634

View attachment 1023638

View attachment 1023642
You don't need to park the F150L like that to charge it at a V3 SC - the cable is just long enough to reach the charge port if you pull all of the way into the lane and literally almost touch the front bumper to the bump stop itself. OOS posted this YT video yesterday charging a F150L in this manner - though it doesn't look like this particular SC station has bump stops:

Even with the bump stops it's still possible - you just have to park the F150L within an inch or two of the bump stop and it'll reach with the shorter V3 cables. Hopefully Tesla will be installing longer cables even on some of the V3 SCs over time, in addition to accelerating V4 station rollout.

You don't need to park the F150L like that to charge it at a V3 SC - the cable is just long enough to reach the charge port if you pull all of the way into the lane and literally almost touch the front bumper to the bump stop itself. OOS posted this YT video yesterday charging a F150L in this manner - though it doesn't look like this particular SC station has bump stops:

Even with the bump stops it's still possible - you just have to park the F150L within an inch or two of the bump stop and it'll reach with the shorter V3 cables. Hopefully Tesla will be installing longer cables even on some of the V3 SCs over time, in addition to accelerating V4 station rollout.
You do realize it's taking two stalls? The charger being used is for the stall to the left.

Required tools for those charging Fords at Tesla SC's so they can block off other stalls.

1709323259669.png

You do realize it's taking two stalls? The charger being used is for the stall to the left.

Required tools for those charging Fords at Tesla SC's so they can block off other stalls.

View attachment 1023675
Your assumption here is that you're charging a Tesla - it's never been a secret - for several years now - that the Tesla SC network was always meant for non-Tesla vehicle charging - Musk has been saying this for years now. What you really mean is that the it's taking two stalls assuming the vehicle next to it is a Tesla. If the vehicle next to it is another Ford with the port on the left hand side of the vehicle, it works just fine. It's no longer just about Tesla owners, it's about the greater good and BEV adoption across the board.

• Love
Reactions: srs5694 and Acps110
Your assumption here is that you're charging a Tesla - it's never been a secret - for several years now - that the Tesla SC network was always meant for non-Tesla vehicle charging - Musk has been saying this for years now. What you really mean is that the it's taking two stalls assuming the vehicle next to it is a Tesla. If the vehicle next to it is another Ford with the port on the left hand side of the vehicle, it works just fine. It's no longer just about Tesla owners, it's about the greater good and BEV adoption across the board.
There are two issues - one is which side/corner of the vehicle the charge port is located on. The other is how far from the bumper it is. Tesla's charge ports are at the corner of the vehicle and cables at super chargers are barely long enough to reach them (I've actually had issues in the winter when the snow wasn't cleared closely enough to the charger.) Many non-teslas have the charge ports further back, between the wheel and the door. for these cases the car would need to parallel park, blocking 2-3 stalls.

What we need is some sort of standardization for charge port location. At gas stations it causes occasional issues but since it only takes 5-10 minutes to fill up it's less of an issue.

There are two issues - one is which side/corner of the vehicle the charge port is located on. The other is how far from the bumper it is. Tesla's charge ports are at the corner of the vehicle and cables at super chargers are barely long enough to reach them (I've actually had issues in the winter when the snow wasn't cleared closely enough to the charger.) Many non-teslas have the charge ports further back, between the wheel and the door. for these cases the car would need to parallel park, blocking 2-3 stalls.

What we need is some sort of standardization for charge port location. At gas stations it causes occasional issues but since it only takes 5-10 minutes to fill up it's less of an issue.
For longer wheelbase vehicles it’s not feasible to mount the charge port all the way to the rear. The CT charge port is not in this location either. It’s 2.5 feet away from this location over top of the rear wheel well, so even Tesla doesn’t adhere to this idea. As larger vehicles with longer wheelbases become more common - expect more of this issue not less. The solution is not to standardize the charge port location - the solution is to provide longer charging cords.

Reactions: Supcom
For longer wheelbase vehicles it’s not feasible to mount the charge port all the way to the rear. The CT charge port is not in this location either. It’s 2.5 feet away from this location over top of the rear wheel well, so even Tesla doesn’t adhere to this idea. As larger vehicles with longer wheelbases become more common - expect more of this issue not less. The solution is not to standardize the charge port location - the solution is to provide longer charging cords.
Wheelbase has little if anything to do with it. I agree we need longer charging cables, though. Standardizing the side or something like (front right or back left) combined with a longer cable would eliminate the issue of one car effectively taking up 2 spots.

Reactions: fholbert