Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford says owners can start using superchargers today (Feb 29)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt manufacturers will standardize charge port location. They never did with ICE gas caps.
Gas stations have long enough hoses, charging stations just need long enough cables.
It is possible that Tesla made that a condition for getting access to the Supercharger network. We will have to see where the OEMs put the NACS port on their vehicles starting in 2025.

Reactions: sleepydoc
You must be a joy to be around in traffic or in line at McDonald's.
Well I don't eat that crap so not an issue! I like my MYP, a HUGE reason I bought it was the ability to always be able to charge reliably w/ no wait like a gas car. If that ability is lost the car is useless to me. I value my time more than anything. I have no issue stopping to charge for 25 min but waiting to charge is unacceptable.

Reactions: evo9rs
Before anyone complains that the SCs are now going to be clogged with non-Teslas, remember that Tesla sells more Teslas to clog those chargers every year than the competition COMBINED. And if that's not accurate, it's close.

You make a good point… but, you know, I’m still with the “we don’t take kindly to your type around here” crowd and sticking with my complaining about non-Teslas clogging our stalls 😂

IMG_0001.gif

see this thread...https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/tesla-blesses-other-cars-blocking-two-stalls-due-to-short-cord.322534/
Right? I'm buying a MY to go with my M3 and would hate to deal with the riff raff charging their non Teslas. :)
I have nothing against other EV owners - I like my Tesla but I don't look down my nose at the owner of a Leaf, Mach E or ID.4. It's a car, not a cult.

My issue is part of the reason I bought a Tesla was the robust charging network. It's reliable and available. The issues with Electrify America chargers are legend and if I were looking to charge my Leaf I would always choose a supercharger, given the choice. So now, if we have twice as many people using superchargers, the network is much more congested and less useful. For many owners this will compromise the value of their car meaning Tesla has made a decision after they bought their car that the owner has no control over and decreases the car's value.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
see this thread...https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/tesla-blesses-other-cars-blocking-two-stalls-due-to-short-cord.322534/

I have nothing against other EV owners - I like my Tesla but I don't look down my nose at the owner of a Leaf, Mach E or ID.4. It's a car, not a cult.

My issue is part of the reason I bought a Tesla was the robust charging network. It's reliable and available. The issues with Electrify America chargers are legend and if I were looking to charge my Leaf I would always choose a supercharger, given the choice. So now, if we have twice as many people using superchargers, the network is much more congested and less useful. For many owners this will compromise the value of their car meaning Tesla has made a decision after they bought their car that the owner has no control over and decreases the car's value.
I bought my M3 because it was the most efficient EV on the market and the CCS1->NACS adapter meant I that I have access to the Tesla SC network and all the other DCFC networks. Last night we unexpectedly got a complementary charge at the Benson AZ EA station, and we charged and shopped at the same time.

The antidote to the possibility of crowded TSC sites is to explore non-Tesla DCFC networks and to use them as is convenient.

Reactions: KJD
I bought my M3 because it was the most efficient EV on the market and the CCS1->NACS adapter meant I that I have access to the Tesla SC network and all the other DCFC networks. Last night we unexpectedly got a complementary charge at the Benson AZ EA station, and we charged and shopped at the same time.

The antidote to the possibility of crowded TSC sites is to explore non-Tesla DCFC networks and to use them as is convenient.
except they are not integrated into Tesla’s NAV system making them difficult to look up, complicating trip planning and precluding battery conditioning. If Tesla would add them to their Nav system it would be helpful. Otherwise it dramatically reduces their utility. Not to mention the paucity of non-Tesla plugs near me.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
except they are not integrated into Tesla’s NAV system making them difficult to look up, complicating trip planning and precluding battery conditioning. If Tesla would add them to their Nav system it would be helpful. Otherwise it dramatically reduces their utility. Not to mention the paucity of non-Tesla plugs near me.
Nobody wants to be routed to a broken charger.

Actually, you can find them easily enough by typing in 'Electrify America + city', for example. But I know what you mean, especially as the car won't precondition even when navigating to a DCFC station. I've added Plugshare and ABRP to my car's Webbrowser as favourites, so that helps a bit and these apps are also available on smartphones.

I used Plugshare and ABRP to help plan our recent trip to Roswell NM.

Question regarding charging prices I'd get considering I have both a Model Y and a Ford Lightning. If I'm charing the Lightning at a supercharger, will I get the Tesla owner rate? I feel this FAQ implies that, but open to interpretation - "Tesla owners always get the best pricing at each site without a Supercharging Membership."

Also, not sure which app takes priority when I simply plug in - the Tesla App (because I'm an owner) or Ford's Blue Oval Network (because that's the car plugged in).

I doubt that a Tesla vehicle owner, will get Tesla vehicle pricing when charging a NON Tesla vehicle at an SC. TWT.

With ~ 120K Ford Mach E, F-150 Lightning and E Transport vehicles in North America, compared to the ~ 2M registered Tesla vechicles its not really going to be too much of an issue other than some areas of real concentration, or some time of year, holidays, day of week possibly. But again, we’ll have to see.

The fact that every Ford that needs to charge COULD be taking up two SC ports simultaneously, and for ~ 20-30% more TIME at least, it could certainly produce frustrations.

Right? I'm buying a MY to go with my M3 and would hate to deal with the riff raff charging their non Teslas. :)
I would be totally fine with this if the number of superchargers has doubled overnight and Tesla could make extra profit on supercharger utilization by non-Tesla vehicles. But if I am going on a trip and arrive to, say Russell KS, 8-station supercharger with 3 stalls indicated as available to find out 3 fords are parked there forever sucking up under 20kW power above 80% and only 2 stalls remain available for Teslas, this is not right.
1709415952238.png

Actually, you can find them easily enough by typing in 'Electrify America + city', for example. But I know what you mean, especially as the car won't precondition even when navigating to a DCFC station. I've added Plugshare and ABRP to my car's Webbrowser as favourites, so that helps a bit and these apps are also available on smartphones.

I used Plugshare and ABRP to help plan our recent trip to Roswell NM.
it certainly can be done but you end up using a hodgepodge of apps to cobble together your route, there's no way to pre condition, there's no way to check how many bays are open (or functional) and no way to legally do it while you're driving. It's all more than a little kludgy and why I only do it when I absolutely have to.

Like I said above, the super charger network (including the tight integration with the car's nav system) is a huge advantage for Teslas. doing what you suggest negates that advantage.

it certainly can be done but you end up using a hodgepodge of apps to cobble together your route, there's no way to pre condition, there's no way to check how many bays are open (or functional) and no way to legally do it while you're driving. It's all more than a little kludgy and why I only do it when I absolutely have to.

Like I said above, the super charger network (including the tight integration with the car's nav system) is a huge advantage for Teslas. doing what you suggest negates that advantage.
The DCFC network's own app will show, in theory, charger availability/functionality in real time; no not always 100% accurate but usable.

• Informative