Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford says owners can start using superchargers today (Feb 29)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be totally fine with this if the number of superchargers has doubled overnight and Tesla could make extra profit on supercharger utilization by non-Tesla vehicles. But if I am going on a trip and arrive to, say Russell KS, 8-station supercharger with 3 stalls indicated as available to find out 3 fords are parked there forever sucking up under 20kW power above 80% and only 2 stalls remain available for Teslas, this is not right.
View attachment 1023987
Totally agree.

There's a good reason why these non Teslas will be flocking to the SCs. Every other network sucks. Period. I've owned CCS EVs and my own experience led me to sell everything I own to buy a Tesla. Access to the SC was the primary reason.
I'd be ok if Teslas opened up maybe 25% of their slowest chargers to other EVs.
Or, give free lifetime SC to every Tesla owner who actually bought the car and contributed to the Network.
It just doesn't make sense to open so many SCs to other EVs.

I would be totally fine with this if the number of superchargers has doubled overnight and Tesla could make extra profit on supercharger utilization by non-Tesla vehicles. But if I am going on a trip and arrive to, say Russell KS, 8-station supercharger with 3 stalls indicated as available to find out 3 fords are parked there forever sucking up under 20kW power above 80% and only 2 stalls remain available for Teslas, this is not right.
Maybe this could be solved with more rigorous congestion pricing.

I want to say I am sure experience from Europe with the non-Tesla charging has let Tesla know how to best manage this.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I suspect SC congestion from non teslas may be worse in the US than in Europe for 2 reasons:

1. The other networks in the US are often less reliable. Other networks in EU appear to be pretty decent.

2. The pricing of a SC in US (even with the increased rates) appear to still be less than EA. At least according to JerryRigEverything.

Reactions: Falcon73
Hope this isn't a repost.

From Tivocommunity:
"Two of our hosts have headed out on an epic roadtrip: from an undisclosed location in New Jersey to the Daytona Int'l Speedway in Florida.
Both are driving identical spec @Ford F-150 Lightning pickups. @VirtualKyle (Out of Spec) can only charge at Tesla Supercharger, while @tom.moloughney (State of Charge) can only charge at CCS stations.
Follow along at this URL.
Click here to see live updates"

Notice the parking job below. :p

• Funny
Reactions: jsmay311
Wheelbase has little if anything to do with it. I agree we need longer charging cables, though. Standardizing the side or something like (front right or back left) combined with a longer cable would eliminate the issue of one car effectively taking up 2 spots.
Actually it does - if the internal cabling to the battery pack has to be twice as long then it's twice as expensive - costs like this add up. As Elon is fond of saying - the best part is no part - so if locating the CT port 2.5 feet away from the back right corner saves $$$ - then that's exactly what was in point of fact done. Same goes for every other manufacturer since the battery packs are contained within the length of the wheelbase itself.

Actually it does - if the internal cabling to the battery pack has to be twice as long then it's twice as expensive
It might actually be more than twice as expensive, as you might have to use larger cabling, that costs more per foot.

so if locating the CT port 2.5 feet away from the back right corner saves $$$ - then that's exactly what was in point of fact done.
My guess is for the Cybertruck they didn't want to punch a hole and put a charging flap in the middle of the panel, so they moved it forward to the wheel well trim.

Question regarding charging prices I'd get considering I have both a Model Y and a Ford Lightning. If I'm charing the Lightning at a supercharger, will I get the Tesla owner rate? I feel this FAQ implies that, but open to interpretation - "Tesla owners always get the best pricing at each site without a Supercharging Membership."
You can but you may have to pay for the $12.99 monthly membership charging plan for your non-Tesla EV. That said, I'm not sure if existing Tesla owners who also happen to own a non-Tesla EV would have to subscribe to this plan to receive the best SC charging rates - or if this would be a "freebie" since you already own a Tesla vehicle. Perhaps someone else knows for sure.
Also, not sure which app takes priority when I simply plug in - the Tesla App (because I'm an owner) or Ford's Blue Oval Network (because that's the car plugged in).
My understanding from what I've read on a few F150L forums is that it's up to you. If you use the native FordPass charging function through the app and/or the F150L itself, then you won't get the preferential Tesla charging rate if you have purchased the $12.99/month Tesla subscription plan. If you want the lower SC rate through your Tesla subscription plan - then you need to manage the charging session through the Tesla app (and not via the FordPass app/vehicle). I suspect this may be improved by Ford via a subsequent software update to allow the Tesla membership data to be used even when using the native FordPass app/vehicle interface - but I don't think this is the case today.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Actually it does - if the internal cabling to the battery pack has to be twice as long then it's twice as expensive - costs like this add up. As Elon is fond of saying - the best part is no part - so if locating the CT port 2.5 feet away from the back right corner saves $$$ - then that's exactly what was in point of fact done. Same goes for every other manufacturer since the battery packs are contained within the length of the wheelbase itself.
right but there's no reason it can't be done - your post made it sound like a longer wheel base car couldn't have the port in back. The cabling length also depends on where the charging circuitry and battery is; it's all part of the design.

When I go on the Tesla website to find chargers, I have an option to see only those SC location that only service Tesla.
Will there be SC where only Teslas can charge or will all SCs be made available to every EV?
When I visit the "Find Us" website I see three options. All "Superchargers", "Superchargers open to other EVs" (meaning CCS plugs via Magic Docks and the like), and "Superchargers Open to NACS" (meaning non Tesla EVs using a NACS to CCS adapter and, eventually, non Tesla EVs with native NACS plugs).

The maps show that a lot of Supercharger stations are not available to non Tesla cars, as expected from the Ford and GM announcements last summer. They include all V2 stations (of course) as well as many high use V3 stations.

All Supercharger Stations:
All Superchargers Stations.jpg

Supercharger Stations open to other EVs (Magic Docks, no adapters needed):
Superchargers open to non Tesla cars.jpg

Superchargers Open to NACS (other EVs via adapters or native NACS):
Superchargers Open to NACS.jpg

At the scale of these maps it is hard to see how many stations are actually Tesla only but if you zoom in on your area it should be more apparent. For example, here's a look at part of Northern California:

Superchargers in N California.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KJD and nicksp
When I visit the "Find Us" website I see three options. All "Superchargers", "Superchargers open to other EVs" (meaning CCS plugs via Magic Docks and the like), and "Superchargers Open to NACS" (meaning non Tesla EVs using a NACS to CCS adapter and, eventually, non Tesla EVs with native NACS plugs).

The maps show that a lot of Supercharger stations are not available to non Tesla cars, as expected from the Ford and GM announcements last summer. They include all V2 stations (of course) as well as many high use V3 stations.

View attachment 1024905

View attachment 1024904

View attachment 1024903

At the scale of these maps it is hard to see how many stations are actually Tesla only but if you zoom in on your area it should be more apparent. For example, here's a look at part of Northern California:

View attachment 1024906
Thanks for the detailed explanation. V2 chargers it is then.

Reactions: HitchHiker71

View attachment 1024905

View attachment 1024904

View attachment 1024903

View attachment 1024906
Stations that have both V2 and V3 SCs are also not open to NACS to avoid confusion. That may be why some large SC sites are not available as they may have been expanded to add V3 stalls to existing V2.

Ardmore, OK is a site like that. Only open to Teslas.

Stations that have both V2 and V3 SCs are also not open to NACS to avoid confusion. That may be why some large SC sites are not available as they may have been expanded to add V3 stalls to existing V2.

Ardmore, OK is a site like that. Only open to Teslas.
Also Gallup NM, Holbrook AZ and Trinidad CO and many other hybrid stations — excellent choices for those who want Tesla only stations.

However, there are some V3 only stations that are restricted to Teslas. For example, just from my home turf:

Alamosa, CO, Pueblo, CO, Colorado Springs, CO - Forest Bluffs, Monument, CO, Silverthorne, CO - Ruby Ranch Rd, Boulder, CO - 28th Street, Westminster, CO, Brighton, CO, Thornton, CO,

Flagstaff, AZ - US-89, Glendale, AZ, Goodyear, AZ, Eloy, AZ, Tucson, AZ - West River Road, Mesa, AZ - West Guadalupe Road, Phoenix, AZ - North 19th Avenue, Glendale, AZ - West Northern Ave,

Richfield, UT - West 1250 South, Orem, UT

Also Gallup NM, Holbrook AZ and Trinidad CO and many other hybrid stations — excellent choices for those who want Tesla only stations.

However, there are some V3 only stations that are restricted to Teslas. For example, just from my home turf:

Alamosa, CO, Pueblo, CO, Colorado Springs, CO - Forest Bluffs, Monument, CO, Silverthorne, CO - Ruby Ranch Rd, Boulder, CO - 28th Street, Westminster, CO, Brighton, CO, Thornton, CO,

Flagstaff, AZ - US-89, Glendale, AZ, Goodyear, AZ, Eloy, AZ, Tucson, AZ - West River Road, Mesa, AZ - West Guadalupe Road, Phoenix, AZ - North 19th Avenue, Glendale, AZ - West Northern Ave,

Richfield, UT - West 1250 South, Orem, UT
I think they probably just need some work. The numbers that were quoted at the time of agreements were all of the V3 stalls. So I don't think Tesla is intentionally holding back.