Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forget Range Anxiety - I've Got Flat Tire Anxiety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so being fairly new to the Tesla world, we now have 2 Tesla's and an ICE car. We have yet to do a longish road trip in either
Tesla. I'm not concerned about where to charge as much as I'm getting worried about getting a flat. I mean, getting
stuck on the highway far from home with a flat, 2 teenagers and a dog would not be fun. And adding to my worry is
the fact that from what I've been reading, Tesla mobile rarely has the cycles to come out and visit you with a new tire
so you can get on your way. If the cars had a spare in them if would be different, but I'm just a bit shell shocked about
this. Should I just take the ICE car that has a spare?

Am I being overly paranoid?

...Should I just take the ICE car that has a spare?...
If your flat tire is near a Tesla Service Center during business hours, I don't think it's a problem.

My guess is flat tires don't happen that often but in your case, for peace of mind, you might want to buy a 5th tire/wheel as a full-size spare either from Tesla Service Center or from another owner. The problem is it occupies space.

Reactions: Marcust99
I think it's a legit worry. But there are ways to make it much less worrisome.

Some people are content to rely on AAA or tow services in the unlikely event of a flat while on a trip, but that's a bit risky IMO. Others carry a jack, plug kit, and air compressor to fix small punctures themselves. Others buy a spare to put in the trunk for longer trips.

I do the latter two. I cobbled together a roadside kit with a jack, jack pad, wrench, plug kit, and air compressor that is always stored under the floor of my trunk. And I bought a donut spare from a Hyundai Genesis that happens to also fit Model 3's from eBay, and I throw that in my trunk whenever driving >100 miles from home. You can also buy a full-sized spare for a bit more $$ if you don't want to worry about going longer distances or at higher speeds with a donut.

I just ordered my first Tesla and have had similar thoughts and worries as you. However, it got me thinking about my history of driving and in my 27 years of driving and 15 years as a passenger and only once did I have a completely flat tire that needed to be replaced. I had my newborn in the car with me and it was freezing cold out and I didn't have any winter gear with me. When I went to change my tire I realized that my tire place (that swaps my winters and summer tires) never put back my winter tire lug nut adapter so I had no way to take my tire off. So I ended up calling AAA anyways. lol.

So long story short...in 43 years I have never been in a situation where I had no option but to swap out a flat for a spare.

Also, I honestly don't believe my wife would even know how to change a tire...so for her it wouldn't even matter if there was a spare.

I have had a lot of slow leaks that just required air until I could make it to a repair shop...so it might make sense to keep a portable air compressor in the car as this has been way more common then all out flat tires for me.

Reactions: ucmndd
I bought a space saver temporary spare and kit from Modern Space, which I keep at home. I have the Tesla Fix a Flat system I keep in my car. I have the AAA 200 mile towing coverage. I live 100 miles from the closest dealer. Likely no one has a tire to fit except Tesla, and maybe not even them. This gives me options both near home and away. Hopefully, I'll never use any of these options, and all this was a waste. I would like that, actually.

Neither our Tesla or 2019 ICE car came with a spare. I've had 2 flats in ~15 years of driving. The first I had a spare on me and changed it. The second was in my Model 3 and roadside picked me up in about 45 minutes.

You could buy a spare. But what if 2 tires go flat? It's not impossible as if something caused a flat, it could cause it for multiple tires. If it's not the dead of winter or something, I would think relying on roadside, whether Tesla or someone else, would probably be sufficient.

I bought a space saver temporary spare and kit from Modern Space, which I keep at home. I have the Tesla Fix a Flat system I keep in my car. I have the AAA 200 mile towing coverage. I live 100 miles from the closest dealer. Likely no one has a tire to fit except Tesla, and maybe not even them. This gives me options both near home and away. Hopefully, I'll never use any of these options, and all this was a waste. I would like that, actually.
Driving LA to NY I got trapped in Lafayette, IN, with a double flat on Michelin PSS2 on 21” stock wheels. It was years ago but I stayed for two nights before a tire could be had within a 100-mile vicinity.

Nothing new to add, but my setup is Jack, Jack stand, Jack pad, tire repair kit, 12v air compressor, and torque wrench (no spare in the car, but I do have a spare on the trailer). All in the frunk.

Plus Good Sam roadside coverage.

Anything I am missing?

Nothing new to add, but my setup is Jack, Jack stand, Jack pad, tire repair kit, 12v air compressor, and torque wrench (no spare in the car, but I do have a spare on the trailer). All in the frunk.

Plus Good Sam roadside coverage.

Anything I am missing?
I’ve been stranded with flats where I had to be towed and then Uber home. None of them (not once) repairable. Granted, LA roads over 9 years it’s gonna happen. But narrow sidewalls and 5,000 lb car with driver. Never had the chance to use my air compressor, scissor jack or tire kit, which I also have in the frunk. It’s all brand new still. Just my experience. A spare would be a nice addition but at that point your frunk is just spare tire storage. During the pandemic I switched to 20” model x wheels with wider rubber and taller sidewalls. I’ve had three flats on them, all replaced under warranty though. Conti DWS06+ 245/275 fyi

I bought a Modern Spare kit; it'll be here by end of this month. I also carry a Dewalt Tire Inflator and a tire repair kit.

I frequently drive from SJ to LA. I figured if I blow a tire somewhere in the middle, my preps might be more useful.

If I'm driving around SJ or LA, I'd wouldn't keep the spare in the car. Rather just call a flat bed.