Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forgoing BMW / Mercedes / Lexus for Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are on a tangent, but everyone who knows me knows I lease my car, because I get a new one about every three years. Pretty much everyone I know leases their cars. Why? You never have a car out of warranty.

As for the intimation that I could not afford to buy the car outright, I can afford a lot more car than a $615 a month lease payment. It's about $20 a day, and I make more than that in 6 minutes.

As for the Tesla owners, don't pretend that there is no element of status to owning a Tesla. There is. I bet a lot of people would not have bought the same exact vehicle if it were a Chevrolet. People will pay for the Tesla nameplate. But I think flooding the market with inexpensive Model 3s may tarnish that status.
you the man!!!

As for the Tesla owners, don't pretend that there is no element of status to owning a Tesla. There is.

That might be true of the S or X, but I don't think that's the case for the 3. The cheapest Tesla Model 3 costs only a little more than a Bolt or a Leaf and there is very little, visually, to distinguish the $35k version from the $60k version, so I'm not sure many people are buying it just for the badge. I think most are buying it because it's really the only practical EV on the market. The Bolt and Leaf are OK but they have shorter range and just an overall frumpier design. The Tesla looks like a normal car and just happens to be an EV. Everyone else seems to design EVs to look different than normals cars. IMHO the Bolt, Leaf and i3 all look like slightly bigger smart cars. They're all ugly.

Reactions: hocr and ivyvy
A tesla gets you far more compliments, prestige, and cool factor than those brands. Nobody cares if you buy a BMW. If you buy a Tesla everyone is interested.

I was considering an M3 before my P3D was available to order. I'm glad I waited. Saving 2k in gas alone.

Reactions: afadeev
But I think flooding the market with inexpensive Model 3s may tarnish that status.
As the owner of a Model S and X, nothing makes me happier than removing any nonsense status that is attached to the cars. The word "tarnish" here makes it seem like you tend to care about that kind of thing, though.

As the owner of a Model S and X, nothing makes me happier than removing any nonsense status that is attached to the cars. The word "tarnish" here makes it seem like you tend to care about that kind of thing, though.

Absolutely correct. I care about the status of my car.

If you are a partner at a law firm, you should drive certain cars. For example, I liked the Honda Clarity, but I wasn't going to start driving a Honda. I came down to two cars which are appropriate: a Tesla and a Mercedes.

My point in response to the OP was both brands have status. I was defending Tesla. In 6 years, there will always be someone who wants to by your Model 3 because it's a Tesla. If it were a Chevy, they wouldn't even consider it.

In car buying, status matters for most people, even if they won't admit it.

I drive a Mercedes. I freely admit that I care about status. What bothers me is that most Tesla customers won't admit it.

If you are a partner at a law firm, you should drive certain cars.
Nope.
I agree that it matters to some people. I doubt "most" is correct. I think what people are more likely to be buying into is identity.
What bothers me is that most Tesla customers won't admit it.
It's quite possible that other people don't think the same way you do. It might be hard to believe, but it's true. Just spend a few minutes thinking about what "status" or "prestige" are, and the absurdity of it all will begin to sink in. It's nothing but ego, and misplaced ego at that.

If you are a partner at a law firm, you should drive certain cars. For example, I liked the Honda Clarity, but I wasn't going to start driving a Honda. I came down to two cars which are appropriate: a Tesla and a Mercedes.

My point in response to the OP was both brands have status. I was defending Tesla. In 6 years, there will always be someone who wants to by your Model 3 because it's a Tesla. If it were a Chevy, they wouldn't even consider it.

I drive a Mercedes. I freely admit that I care about status. What bothers me is that most Tesla customers won't admit it.

If you really care about that stuff you should have been looking at a Model S anyway. The Model 3 is the everyman's version of Tesla. It's like the BMW 328 or Mercedes A-Class. Sure you can jack up the price by getting the AWD or Performance versions, but there is no visual difference to those versions. As far as anyone can tell you're driving the "cheap" $35k base model which is roughly the same price as that Honda Clarity. If you want the status symbol you'd have to spring for the Model S or X.

"I knew going with Tesla, I will be forgoing the prestige that comes with buying a BMW or Mercedes..." trust me on this, people pay much more attention to the Tesla than any BMW or Mercedes in the parking lot. If that's your game it'll win it in spades. There is a whole world of customization options as well (aftermarket/3rd party). For me it's the whole picture, luxury and economy, all in one. YMMV, but we are incredibly happy to be in a Tesla vs another brand.

NOT IN ORANGE COUNTY. I live 20 miles inland and i feel our car turns heads more than I'd like (FWDs)... but drive to costa mesa, newport, laguna? Nah, there's Teslas everywhere.

Reactions: Petrocelli

Many of us could display many things of status yet choose not to. Others choose to flaunt it. I don't judge. I also don't assume that someone that does drive a fancy car is just leasing it.

For me a car doesn't make ones status. Really not sure anything in life does. Look at me I am on top of the hill. Yes you are till someone knocks you off. Then race to the top again?

A car for me is a form of self expression. I would say few cars in the marketplace for me would offer that self expression that I am looking for. Looking at the other personal values in my life a Tesla matches that self expression. I am kind of sad it took so long to become part of my life. Maybe I or Tesla wasn't ready at the time.

Still a car to me. Provides transportation. I personally get a kick out of people so interested in my car. Some are just so cool to experience. Like kids asking questions and wanting to see inside. That is just fun and cool. Not status.

Few people I talk to go into the lines of "What do you do to afford that?" Maybe because I keep a small circle of close friends and family. To me those are the people that value me, and the other way around. We have a status of closeness.

Reactions: ohmman
Same. I wish I could keep the function of the FWDs but without the flashiness. The "Getting attention" was literally the part that we DID NOT want with our Used X Purchase.

Reactions: ohmman
That's my point. The Model 3 is a nice looking car. The other serious EV offerings out there are not. The Bolt, Leaf and i3 all look like fat VW Golfs. They're kind of like the original Prius. Intentionally ugly to lower demand.

Not all "other" EVs/PEHVs are like that.
i8 and Taycan are fantastic looking !

Model 3 is above average, but a bit too conservative on the outside.

[...]For example, I liked the Honda Clarity, but I wasn't going to start driving a Honda. I came down to two cars which are appropriate: a Tesla and a Mercedes.[...]If it were a Chevy, they wouldn't even consider it.
[...]I drive a Mercedes. I freely admit that I care about status. What bothers me is that most Tesla customers won't admit it.

Dude, stop wasting time on the Internet, go back to work, and earn enough $$ for a Porsche.
You look like a bum driving a Mercedes, and make the rest of us look like pompous d*cks if/when you drive your Tesla.

If you extrapolate from his comment about making $20 in 6 minutes that means he makes $200/hour. Which is roughly $400,000/year. Seems like both of those cars would be well below his stature.

My personal attorney drives an Acura. Very nice car. Practical too. Money spent wisely - much as I'd prefer he does with mine. Status? Who gives a flying fig.

I'm in sales. Make a decent living at it. Sometimes I show up at my customers with the Model 3. Sometimes, with my wife's Buick (seats 7 comfortably.) I had a Cadillac before the Model 3, and a Ford before that. All of which I've used with customers. None of which have any influence or direction over my customers, other than "oh hey, cool, we just installed some EV chargers so feel free to use one ..."