Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forgoing BMW / Mercedes / Lexus for Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came from a Lexus IS 350 F Sport and loved the interior of that car but after seeing the minimalist interior of the Model 3 and how smooth it drives along with all the other features it offers I was sold on moving to Tesla.

Once you own a Tesla Model 3, you enjoy the minimal interior and modern design and realize you don't need all those extra buttons and gimmicks that you used to have in your previous ICE vehicles.
yep...I agree with that...I have had Mercedes and Lexus for the last 25 years...I took a test drive and bout the Model 3 a week later.....I and my wife absolutely love it......there are a few things that my wife misses, like being able to only unlock the drivers door, but she likes the way it drives......so, today I was out and parked next to BMW 330i....what a small car......it was not nearly as exciting to look at as our Blue with white interior and 19” wheels...

Reactions: follow.johnny
I drove the IS 350 a week ago and although I liked the interior a lot and the sales representative dropped it by 5 k for an unbelievable price, I did not buy it. Why? Even though the paddle shifting was fun on sport mode and the engine made a mighty roar, I felt a major delay when I put my foot on the gas pedal. It also felt as though it was "held back." Cornering was okay, but not spectacular. There was no oomph !!!

My biggest mistake was driving the Tesla Model 3 AWD two weeks prior. Despite the luxurious interior of the IS 350 and the ES models and the wonderful Apple Car Play (which I love), I fell in love with the Tesla. Nothing seems to compare to the Torque when going from 0 - 60, at least not in this price range.

This week I am going to finally buy one. I gave up a significant Labor Day 5 k discount from Lexus and 6 k discount from Acura. Naturally I hope it's worth it in the end.

By the way, I love luxurious interiors too. The race comment was a bit over the top. Loving wonderful things is not confined to any particular group. Just my 2 cents.

I came from a Lexus IS 350 F Sport and loved the interior of that car but after seeing the minimalist interior of the Model 3 and how smooth it drives along with all the other features it offers I was sold on moving to Tesla.

Once you own a Tesla Model 3, you enjoy the minimal interior and modern design and realize you don't need all those extra buttons and gimmicks that you used to have in your previous ICE vehicles.

I was debating last year on upgrading my Honda Fit to a Lexus IS350 F sport or Model 3 (my wife had an RX350 and we loved Lexus service). I'm a car guy, so I would have likely bought a used IS350 and spent money upgrading the car through RR Racing. I ended up going with the Model 3 last October given it was cheaper new, and I liked the simplicity, lack of having to bring the car in for service and cost savings over premium fuel. 3 months later, we upgraded the RX350 for a used Model S mainly due to the fact that I didn't want to keep paying for Lexus repairs (including 2 brake jobs in 2.5 years costing close to $1600).

We used to be a VW/Audi family (still have an A3 e-tron) - not the high end luxury barges but the performance oriented (Jetta GLi, Audi S4, that type of thing). I like the handling of those cars, others like the "prestige" if you will, and the appointments.

Everyone likes how my 3 rides, a little no-button phobia from some, but all agree it is a solid, comfortable, quick car. Some think Tesla by name carries plenty of prestige; I personally really appreciate how it gets out of its own way.

Electric == now+future ICE=legacy

Moderator note: I performed a minor edit to the first post and moved a couple of other posts discussing the snippet to snippiness.

Non-moderator note: In my opinion, I wish Tesla had less "prestige," and I cringe to even type that word. I have noticed a small wedge that gets inserted between me and some others when they realize I have a Tesla. Obviously it depends on their income level; but the knowledge that I drive a Tesla often has come with the baggage of a difference in wealth level. I believe it's also one of the main drivers of anti-Tesla sentiment in some communities - it's easy to mark drivers as the eco-rich or whatever disparaging term they want to use. Personally, I wish my cars had the cachet of a Honda.

I paid $34K for my LR RWD net of credits and rebates. A nice fully loaded Toyota can cost more than that. If there is any "prestige" associated with owning my Tesla, purchase price has nothing to do with it.

I don't talk about cars much but if someone asks me about my Tesla, I brag about how I can drive from Orange County to Palm Springs on less than $3.00 worth of electricity.

• Love
Reactions: Msjulie and SO16
Mercedes makes fantastic cars. They are designed to appeal to the ego of the male owners and the safety concerns of the females.

Everybody feels more important when they can drive a Mercedes, little less so in a BMW. They are great aspirational cars.

Problem for them is that the world is changing faster than they are. People no longer look friendly upon fat cats, driving large gass guzzlers with large fuel tanks and larger engines. They pollute terribly. There is a reason the exhaust pipes come out the back, forcing those behind them to deal with the fumes, while they sit up in front in cool comfort.

EV is the way of the future. Constant pollution of our urban centers is making citizens sick and causing them to die sooner. Can't continue.

Let's break this down. I think this post says lot about Tesla owners.

The first person I met who owned a Tesla was a friend who was a Silicon Valley millionaire. It was about 10 years ago. Back then, Tesla had a certain cachet. They were really expensive, somewhat rare, cars driven by really, really rich people.

Since that time, I have seen a lot of Model S cars. Everyone knows they are $100,000 cars driven by really, really rich people. For some reason, these people who drive a car more than twice the value of my Mercedes like to pretend it is not a status symbol. Give them enough rope, and they will lecture you on how they are saving the planet (even though what they really care about is having a fast car that costs $100,000.)

Recently, people who could not afford a Model S were given the opportunity to buy a Tesla Model 3. For less than $40,000, they could be like a mini-me version of that Silicon Valley millionaire. Now, the masses can have the prestige of a Tesla for a lease payment of about $500 a month! For example, a secretary at work recently got one. (It was delivered three months late, and it's in the shop now with a cracked roof, but that's another story.)

That may be why, right now, on the Westside of Los Angeles, everybody and their cousin is driving a Model 3. It is almost comical how many of them you see. Why aren't these people driving Hyundais or Bolts? What about a nice Honda Clarity? Simple: Prestige and status. They want the vibe of that Silicon Valley millionaire to rub off on them. I

Not only that, there is a reverse snobbery when they harangue you about they are saving the planet. Case in point: see above.

The claim is that Mercedes owners drive it to "appeal to the ago of male owners". Now, in Los Angeles, if you drive a $45,000 Mercedes, you won't get any attention. I don't know how people view a Mercedes in the Inland Empire (like Canyon Lake) view a Mercedes, but here by the ocean, it's no big deal.

Non-moderator note: In my opinion, I wish Tesla had less "prestige," and I cringe to even type that word. I have noticed a small wedge that gets inserted between me and some others when they realize I have a Tesla. Obviously it depends on their income level; but the knowledge that I drive a Tesla often has come with the baggage of a difference in wealth level. I believe it's also one of the main drivers of anti-Tesla sentiment in some communities - it's easy to mark drivers as the eco-rich or whatever disparaging term they want to use. Personally, I wish my cars had the cachet of a Honda.

Exactly!

In my opinion, I wish Tesla had less "prestige," and I cringe to even type that word. I have noticed a small wedge that gets inserted between me and some others when they realize I have a Tesla. Obviously it depends on their income level; but the knowledge that I drive a Tesla often has come with the baggage of a difference in wealth level. I believe it's also one of the main drivers of anti-Tesla sentiment in some communities - it's easy to mark drivers as the eco-rich or whatever disparaging term they want to use. Personally, I wish my cars had the cachet of a Honda.

Bingo. The amount of quasi-snide comments I hear ("oh, mr. fancy tesla guy" or "wow, must be nice to have your job" .. etc) is a direct reflection of the perception people have about Tesla, the brand. Unfortunately, reality doesn't matter.

The first question I get is usually "How much was that? $100,000?" (No, less than my wife's Buick.)
Second question is "How many months did you have to wait for it?" (Less than 2 weeks.)
Third question is "Yeah but what if you run out of battery?" (What if you run out of gasoline?)
Fourth is "Aren't you worried about it exploding?" (I think the 20 gallons of flammable liquid you're sitting on top of is worse.)

.... so on and so forth ....

It's a $35,000 car that has a better ROI than an Accord. But that doesn't matter. It's still seen as an uppity vehicle for richy-rich types.

Meanwhile, my buddy's Acura TLX cost more..... nobody gives him a ration of crap over his vehicle.

Tesla is new, different and weird to most people. They're skeptical, don't understand it, and for the most part, don't want to, either. Hence, silly questions like "won't it explode?" or "They're going to be out of business soon" or "but Elon Musk is crazy!"

Ah well - it's Tesla's problem to convince the rest of the world... it's mine to drive the <> out of my fun car.

Started driving Mercedes in the 80s and in the 90s started driving Lexus. Like @Petrocelli, the dealership treats me very well. My office is about 30 minutes from the dealership and my last few contracts specified that I get pick up and delivery of my car for every service, even a simple 5,000 mile oil change. I am not a car person and my time is extremely valuable to me, so my main concern was always comfort, reliability and excellent service...which Lexus gave in spades. A month ago, I test drove a new GS sport and couldn't justify getting a newer version of essentially the same thing I was currently driving. The following weekend, I test drove a model 3; ordered a blue/black M3P- on Monday, it was delivered Wednesday, and I picked up that Friday.

It's only been two weeks, but I've never enjoyed driving as much as I do now.

But I knew going with Tesla, I will be forgoing the prestige that comes with buying a BMW or Mercedes,
Worth keeping in mind that prestige comes from praestigiae, the same root for prestidigitation:
1. Performance of or skill in performing magic or conjuring tricks with the hands; sleight of hand.
2. Skill or cleverness, especially in deceiving others.
Trying to buy prestige at the Mercedes dealer might be deceiving yourself.
Robin

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors and ohmman
In 2007, I bought the first iPhone - while living in Australia. I made it function with some hacking. I had a business trip to Beirut, and sitting in a restaurant I put it on the table. I looked around and noticed a couple more new iPhone owners who did the same. Not because they were bragging, but because they were proud. They had made a smart choice, buying the best new technology.

It just is.

Reactions: Msjulie and BZM3
I own a BMW 340i right now. Top of the line, every option checked, $65k car. It's nice, I guess, but not anything really special. My biggest issue with it, since day one, has been the automatic transmission. Before this car I always had manuals. Even with a turbo I never really felt significant lag. But in this car the lag is pronounced and it's really annoying. Put foot down, wait 3 seconds, then kick. The thing I loved most about the Tesla when I drove it was the linear acceleration. Push the pedal a little and the car goes a little, put it to the floor and the car goes like a bat out of hell instantly. That alone sold me.

I'm actually going to miss some things about my BMW like the HUD, the heated steering wheel, the actual physical controls, etc... but the way it drives is more than enough to make up for it.
you dont need a heated steering wheel when your car is preconditioned! ;)

Let's break this down. I think this post says lot about Tesla owners.

The first person I met who owned a Tesla was a friend who was a Silicon Valley millionaire. It was about 10 years ago. Back then, Tesla had a certain cachet. They were really expensive, somewhat rare, cars driven by really, really rich people.

Since that time, I have seen a lot of Model S cars. Everyone knows they are $100,000 cars driven by really, really rich people. For some reason, these people who drive a car more than twice the value of my Mercedes like to pretend it is not a status symbol. Give them enough rope, and they will lecture you on how they are saving the planet (even though what they really care about is having a fast car that costs $100,000.)

Recently, people who could not afford a Model S were given the opportunity to buy a Tesla Model 3. For less than $40,000, they could be like a mini-me version of that Silicon Valley millionaire. Now, the masses can have the prestige of a Tesla for a lease payment of about $500 a month! For example, a secretary at work recently got one. (It was delivered three months late, and it's in the shop now with a cracked roof, but that's another story.)

That may be why, right now, on the Westside of Los Angeles, everybody and their cousin is driving a Model 3. It is almost comical how many of them you see. Why aren't these people driving Hyundais or Bolts? What about a nice Honda Clarity? Simple: Prestige and status. They want the vibe of that Silicon Valley millionaire to rub off on them. I

Not only that, there is a reverse snobbery when they harangue you about they are saving the planet. Case in point: see above.

The claim is that Mercedes owners drive it to "appeal to the ago of male owners". Now, in Los Angeles, if you drive a $45,000 Mercedes, you won't get any attention. I don't know how people view a Mercedes in the Inland Empire (like Canyon Lake) view a Mercedes, but here by the ocean, it's no big deal.

Your post says a lot and sums up why I wasn’t a bit surprised that you leased another Mercedes.

I see a lot of people driving SUVs and pick up trucks. If they can afford some of these vehicles, many over $50-60+K especially those maxed out on options, they can afford a Tesla. Likely they don’t own the cars but put down a small downpayment and have a monthly bill. But they like the idea of driving something that is beyond something they could afford to buy out right. No one knows they’re driving a leased vehicle. And not wanting to turn this into a lease/buy conversation. We’re talking perception here about Tesla owners so it goes to that. Leasing still gives the impression that you own the car when you don’t.

As to why Model 3 owners aren’t driving a Bolt or Clarity, well guess you didn’t test drive those to know the answer. Apart from the performance the Model 3 has a much more stylish body. We didn’t buy our Teslas primarily for the environment but for other reasons, but as you drive them around you come to really appreciate they aren’t sending out toxic fumes like what Mercedes-Benz was so willing to do in Europe and elsewhere and lie about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: outdoors
In my town high end cars like Mercs and BMWs are pretty rare. Occasionally you'll see a BMW 328/330 but most are at least a 8 years old. When I was in my 20s and bought my first BMW people were really impressed. Got a lot of questions like "are you a drug dealer?". Now that I'm older (41) and have a little gray hair no one cares, and neither do I. I don't drive a BMW for the status symbol I do it because it's fun to drive. Or at least my 135i was. I bought the 340i thinking it would be just as fun as the 135i just a bit bigger and more practical. Turns out it's not. Sure I can step on it and beat most anything I come across but it's got a horrible lag that I've always hated. That's all I really care about these days. I don't drive that much anyway, since I work at home, but when I do drive I want it to be fun. I'm hoping that the Tesla will be fun. I know I had fun driving it on my test drive, but you never really know until you drive it every day.

Reactions: Petrocelli and BZM3
Your post says a lot and sums up why I wasn’t a bit surprised that you leased another Mercedes. . . . But they like the idea of driving something that is beyond something they could afford to buy out right. No one knows they’re driving a leased vehicle. And not wanting to turn this into a lease/buy conversation. We’re talking perception here about Tesla owners so it goes to that. Leasing still gives the impression that you own the car when you don’t.

We are on a tangent, but everyone who knows me knows I lease my car, because I get a new one about every three years. Pretty much everyone I know leases their cars. Why? You never have a car out of warranty.

As for the intimation that I could not afford to buy the car outright, I can afford a lot more car than a $615 a month lease payment. It's about $20 a day, and I make more than that in 6 minutes.

As for the Tesla owners, don't pretend that there is no element of status to owning a Tesla. There is. I bet a lot of people would not have bought the same exact vehicle if it were a Chevrolet. People will pay for the Tesla nameplate. But I think flooding the market with inexpensive Model 3s may tarnish that status.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: tommie and outdoors