Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forgoing BMW / Mercedes / Lexus for Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So before I considered to just get a Tesla, I thought I was going to go the usual route and get a Lexus or BMW as my next car when it comes to cars in the $40-60k range. I didn't really consider Tesla until I drove one at a test drive event. I just kinda thought I will test drive the Tesla for fun, but not consider it. But after I drove it, I realized how much more comfortable / easier it is to drive compared to a gas car. And it was something BMW or Lexus could never do as gas cars.

I also started to kind of realize I never have to search around for the cheapest gas station again, or have to deal with expensive gas. Like you can just go home, and you always have a "full tank" / "full charge".

I was considering the Lexus RX for a while, I thought it looked cool. But I also realized the car still feels the same as the GS430 I drove like 10 years ago, just with an upgraded interior, but the driving mechanism hasn't really changed much. I just kinda hate the weird motion of gas cars now that I am so used to Tesla's electric way of driving. Especially that almost all gas cars can't even instantly accelerate if you floor it, most of them just struggle to go anywhere if you floor it.

But I knew going with Tesla, I will be forgoing the prestige that comes with buying a BMW or Mercedes, since those cars have been around longer. Tesla seems to not really have that yet, but I was willing to forgo it just so I can drive an electric car that feels much more comfortable and is more futuristic. Having a futuristic car was one of my main wants, but I didn't really know what futuristic really entailed. I guess self driving was one of the main things that really set the Tesla apart, it's something you can't really find on Mercedes or BMW. BMW & Mercedes may have prestige, but they don't have futuristic stuff.

And I actually do use self driving mainly on empty freeways. Self driving makes it much easier to do day trips to far out places because you know at night, if you have to drive back, you always have autopilot.

I feel some people who still go with BMW or Mercedes probably did it for the prestige. And that its still kinda the norm, or old fashion way to have a nice car people know and respect. Tesla is still kinda new, it only has the same amount of prestige as an iPhone.

I kinda of wish Elon Musk would be willing to make the cars have more swaggy interiors. Like something a rapper with tons of bling would like. Just so we can have the best of both, luxury interior of Mercedes but futuristic driving of Tesla.

"I knew going with Tesla, I will be forgoing the prestige that comes with buying a BMW or Mercedes..." trust me on this, people pay much more attention to the Tesla than any BMW or Mercedes in the parking lot. If that's your game it'll win it in spades. There is a whole world of customization options as well (aftermarket/3rd party). For me it's the whole picture, luxury and economy, all in one. YMMV, but we are incredibly happy to be in a Tesla vs another brand.

I own a BMW 340i right now. Top of the line, every option checked, $65k car. It's nice, I guess, but not anything really special. My biggest issue with it, since day one, has been the automatic transmission. Before this car I always had manuals. Even with a turbo I never really felt significant lag. But in this car the lag is pronounced and it's really annoying. Put foot down, wait 3 seconds, then kick. The thing I loved most about the Tesla when I drove it was the linear acceleration. Push the pedal a little and the car goes a little, put it to the floor and the car goes like a bat out of hell instantly. That alone sold me.

I'm actually going to miss some things about my BMW like the HUD, the heated steering wheel, the actual physical controls, etc... but the way it drives is more than enough to make up for it.

Just a bit of Lexus history---back in the 80s I drove a Mercedes 190E and then a 300E. My wife was driving Toyota vehicles. In the late 80s I heard that Toyota (and Nissan) were working on a luxury line. I did some reading and research, and with a leap of faith bought a 1989 LS400 for my wife, one of the first delivered to the SF Bay Area. My wife subsequently drove a series of LS (new one every 4 years or so) until 2015. Her original LS was just so good, and the service so superlative, that in 1991 I preordered the SC400, taking delivery of one of the first 1992 models in SF. I drove the SC400 and then a SC430, then when that was totaled, a GS450H. All great cars, solid, reliable, with great service. I never thought I would ever leave Lexus.

In January 2013, my wife came to me suggesting that she get me a special 30th anniversary present, which turned out to be a Tesla. I ordered my S85 in February, but had to wait until May 2013 to take delivery since Elon had not yet found 'a red that did not suck'. I sold my GS450H back to a local dealer.

Shortly after taking delivery, I called my long time Lexus service advisor, who I had known for almost 25 years (he started as a service tech), and told him that I had switched. He was not surprised. Soon thereafter I drove by his dealership (which still serviced my wife's LS460) and stopped in and offered him a ride. While demoing my S85 for him, he privately revealed that he had applied for a job at Tesla (a major leap of faith back then, giving up a great secure job for a not so certain future). At that time I had already gotten to know several key individuals at Tesla, so I told my Lexus service adviser friend that I would be happy to give him a recommendation to Tesla if the opportunity arose.

Shortly thereafter, he gave me the e-mail address of the Tesla HR staffer involved in his hire. I e-mailed a letter to this individual, and got a nice reply, expressing surprise that a customer would recommend a service advisor.

A few weeks later, my service adviser friend was called to Tesla HQ in Palo Alto on a Saturday for a round of 'final' interviews. After a long morning, he was now waiting at a reception area. The receptionist asked if he would mind waiting, as Jerome Guillen wanted to interview him. At that final interview, Jerome asked how my adviser knew me and was pretty amazed that I had recommended him. I had met Jerome several times in the SF Bay Area and he knew me. After this final interview, my adviser friend went home, and then next day, on Sunday got a call, offering him a position as Service Manager at the Palo Alto center. After a few years there, he has now moved to a corporate role at Tesla HQ.

And when he told his colleagues at the Lexus dealership about his career move, all he got was the cold shoulder and not even a simple 'thanks for your years of service'.

"I knew going with Tesla, I will be forgoing the prestige that comes with buying a BMW or Mercedes..." trust me on this, people pay much more attention to the Tesla than any BMW or Mercedes in the parking lot. If that's your game it'll win it in spades. There is a whole world of customization options as well (aftermarket/3rd party). For me it's the whole picture, luxury and economy, all in one. YMMV, but we are incredibly happy to be in a Tesla vs another brand.

Yeah you're right, I do get more detailed questions about the Tesla if I ever get asked about my car. Mainly like how charging is like and not using gas.

If it were the BMW M3 Lime Rock I used to have, it's just nice car (b/c it was orange / and M3, which has car fanboys). But there wasn't really anything futuristic / advanced about it except a more powerful engine. I think the Tesla Model 3 dual motor could possibly be faster than the M3 at acceleration, Tesla accelerates like buttery smooth, BMW M3 would struggle if I floored it the way I do with the Model 3.

It seems like when it comes to instagram, cars like Mercedes would be more likely to show up when someone is trying to make one of those "worked hard for this car" post. Like that one woman who got a new Mercedes C class, instagram bragged about it, then got drunk and did a hit and run the day she got the car.

Busted! Woman identified by police after posting photo of her Mercedes on Instagram - MercedesBlog

I'm just wondering if anyone like this lady, who buys a car with the intent to insta-brag about hard work and shopping an Neiman Marcus will consider a Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: VT_EE and Pkmmte
The minimalist interior is actually one of the main things that attracted me in a Tesla.

Out of all cars I've ever had, I've only ever touched a few buttons. The large majority of them were never used and only added to the visual clutter. I love the clean, modern feel the Model 3 has. It makes it feel bigger inside than it really is, and doesn't overwhelm you with things you may never need, or touch only once per year.

Granted, I've never been a car person before Tesla. All I cared about was going from Point A to Point B as easily as possible.

The minimalist interior is actually one of the main things that attracted me in a Tesla.

Out of all cars I've ever had, I've only ever touched a few buttons. The large majority of them were never used and only added to the visual clutter. I love the clean, modern feel the Model 3 has. It makes it feel bigger inside than it really is, and doesn't overwhelm you with things you may never need, or touch only once per year.

Granted, I've never been a car person before Tesla. All I cared about was going from Point A to Point B as easily as possible.

Yeah I was about the Point A to Point B idea. BMW M3 looked cool, but the way it drove did not feel like a Point A to Point B car, more like a rough ride Point A to B, there is no way to make it a normal driving car when you don't want race performance. And most people who glorify Fast & Furious, drive a Scion, and never owned or driven a sports car have no idea of the conveniences you have to forgo to drive those cars. I've rented a Lamborghini, its def not a Point A to B car, it's a rough ride and you have to be super attentive to drive one without wrecking it. Because if you are stupid, you can easily crash a Lamborghini, those cars aren't very forgiving.

But at least with Tesla, you have all the conveniences of a normal car, or better than most gas cars. But you have extreme acceleration performance anytime you want it, even if you don't care for it. I use the instant acceleration anytime the conditions allow, then go back to normal driving once I'm up to speed.

I came from a Lexus IS 350 F Sport and loved the interior of that car but after seeing the minimalist interior of the Model 3 and how smooth it drives along with all the other features it offers I was sold on moving to Tesla.

Once you own a Tesla Model 3, you enjoy the minimal interior and modern design and realize you don't need all those extra buttons and gimmicks that you used to have in your previous ICE vehicles.

Most Tesla owners consider ICE vehicles as quaint. Interesting in their own way, but more a part of their past than of their future.

Many new owners will keep one of their previous ICE cars around, parked in the garage for those time it will be a more appropriate ride, such as a long distance trip or when they really want to "drive and be in charge". Those fantasies fade away when they drive them after getting used to their new Tesla. They then realize that they are no longer what they once thought. Then they go to be sold and never looked back upon...quaint indeed.

100 buttons does not a luxury car make.

FWIW.. I'm coming from a fully loaded 3 series to my Model 3... Couldn't be happier.

And as far as "prestige"... No one at work ever batted an eye when it came to my BMW..but over the last 2 months since getting the Model 3 it's been an endless stream of people busting my chops for being able to afford a Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: SO16
I feel some people who still go with BMW or Mercedes probably did it for the prestige. And that its still kinda the norm, or old fashion way to have a nice car people know and respect. Tesla is still kinda new, it only has the same amount of prestige as an iPhone.

Hold on there cowboy.

I think a Mercedes, BMW, and Tesla all have equal "prestige" -- at least on the west side of Los Angeles. None of them will get you noticed, unless you get one of those crazy-expensive Mercedes. Even a $100,000 Model S is pretty common here.

And, I don't drive a Mercedes for prestige. I drive it because it's comfortable and quiet. But when I need it, I can switch to Sport+ mode and pass cars that don't belong in the fast lane.

(As for posing with cars -- Tesla owners do that more than anyone. Go over to YouTube, and you can find thousands of a videos of people going to pick up Teslas. Why? I have no clue.)

I had two Mercedes (C63, C300) prior to my Tesla and they do attract more attention than a Model 3 since they were custom ordered and night package models are rare at least around here. They do have a lot of things more refined and even Tesla knows this since they copied the exact wheel stalk configurations - Model S and X stalks are even taken directly from Mercedes :D

Reactions: ivyvy
I own a BMW 340i right now. Top of the line, every option checked, $65k car. It's nice, I guess, but not anything really special.

I'm actually going to miss some things about my BMW like the HUD, the heated steering wheel, the actual physical controls, etc... but the way it drives is more than enough to make up for it.

Same situation, same price, same features for the most part. Just change “BMW 340i” to “Cadillac XT5 Platinum”.

I thought I’d miss the HUD and some of the other great things about Cadillac way more than I do. The only feature that I really do miss is the 360-degree camera. That’s a great feature and one Tesla really needs to adopt.

I had two Mercedes (C63, C300) prior to my Tesla and they do attract more attention than a Model 3 since they were custom ordered and night package models are rare at least around here. They do have a lot of things more refined and even Tesla knows this since they copied the exact wheel stalk configurations - Model S and X stalks are even taken directly from Mercedes :D

The steering wheel as I understand came through Daimler. Don’t you think the steering wheel adoption had more to do with the early partnership that Tesla and Daimler had?? Tesla got some of Daimler’s material sourcing and I think Daimler got some of Tesla’s technology. Not that Tesla copied.

As for Tesla owner videos mentioned in @Petrocelli’s post, I suspect it’s because Tesla owners love their cars so much that they want to share that with others. It also helps promote the advantages of EVs and Tesla’s goal. A few months after we got our MS I, who never cared one way or another much about a car, volunteered us to be part of the cars on display all day with their owners at the annual EV Drive Week at a local college. In fact today I even posted a few fliers for this year’s event at my local Starbucks. Never did anything like this before, not really a environmental person either...And can say I never felt inspired or motivated to do this for any other car manufacturer.

As for Daimler/Mercedes, any prestige or cache they had in my eyes before vanished never to return when their Mercedes-Benz team dismantled a European couple’s MX the team had rented and returned to them in a damaged state. The company didn’t make the couple whole and didn’t sound like the team was fired for what they did. I found this appalling. Didn’t matter if it was a Tesla or anyone else’s brand. I have zero respect for a corporation that would do this to a couple. This was all over in the press. If you missed it here’s an article on it from a non-EV publication: https://jalopnik.com/mercedes-parent-company-daimler-dismantled-a-rented-tes-1820961392
And from a comment to the German paper, doing something like this is par for the course for them and they just expect insurance to cover the cost. Despicable.

Last edited:
Reactions: SO16 and Arpe
Mercedes makes fantastic cars. They are designed to appeal to the ego of the male owners and the safety concerns of the females.

Everybody feels more important when they can drive a Mercedes, little less so in a BMW. They are great aspirational cars.

Problem for them is that the world is changing faster than they are. People no longer look friendly upon fat cats, driving large gass guzzlers with large fuel tanks and larger engines. They pollute terribly. There is a reason the exhaust pipes come out the back, forcing those behind them to deal with the fumes, while they sit up in front in cool comfort.

EV is the way of the future. Constant pollution of our urban centers is making citizens sick and causing them to die sooner. Can't continue.