Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forward collision warning too sensitive on 2019.20.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive always had my collision warning set to medium and its worked fairly well up until the most recent update. Now I’m seeing about two false positive per day. By false positive I mean the alarm sounds and I go “What the heck was that for?”

Additionally, the cars in adjacent lanes are much more jittery on the display when I’m at a stop light. I thought they fixed this bug a while ago, but it appears to be back with the most recent firmware. Not sure if the two are related.

By chance, do you notice it while going up hills (with the car in front stopped/stopping)? I'm a new owner, but notice that I get the warning a few times a day, but only going uphill. You'd think it would take into account the incline of the road (GPS?), but it clearly doesn't. My old car never had this kind of an issue, even when sent to "early".

I also had to lookup in the manual to realize that it won't stop if you're backing up into something. Had a car tear past me while backing out (I was going slowly because it was a bit of a blind corner with a car having blocked me in), but the Tesla (according to the manual) wouldn't have stopped, whereas my old car would have hit the brakes. I found that to be weird too given all the safety claims.

I live in a historic neighborhood where the streets are narrow and it goes off even with nobody coming at me. I disabled it. Same with the Audi I had before.

I also find the volume terrifying and distracting when there is an emergency happening that I need to deal with. I've tweeted to Tesla many times to lower the system sounds in the Model 3 but no luck so far. (Model S is much quieter like a regular car)

I used to think mine were excessive as well. Then I had a passenger alert me at the same exact moment that the car did. Now I know I was going to stop in time but both the passenger and the car both felt I was breaking late. So my takeaway, adjust my driving to make them both happy and my driving a little safer.

I've noticed that I tend to get them more often if the car in front of me is tailgating the car in front of it.

I had mine on early for awhile but that was WAY too early for me. I could tell long before that a car was going to pass in front of me and I was going to have to correct my car prior to it going off. I've adjusted it back to Medium and its been much better.

It goes off on my fairly frequently but after this recent update, I actually had the car go beyond just the warning and actually slam on the brakes, just because I suppose it thought I wasn't slowing down fast enough for the car in front of me braking to get into a left turn lane. Scared the crap out of me...I knew I wasn't going to hit him but the car appeared to think so and I almost got rear ended instead.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Before this update, I might hear the collision alarm once a week. Now I am hearing it at least 1-2 times a day. It seems like it goes off the minute a car slows down or hits its brakes. This does not include false alarms that you hear driving down a narrow road with cars parked off to the side.

I had it happen again this morning. For me, it seems to *always* be while I'm on an uphill, even if slightly. They should have an algorithm (or AI) that dials back the sensitivity on an uphill, particularly if it's detecting my foot coming off the "gas", even slightly, as presumably, I'm aware that I need to stop, but trying to modulate the regenerative braking (which I've got set on high).

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: apacheguy
It's definitely gotten more sensitive the last couple releases. I don't know if it's using a new algorithm that is giving more false alarms or if it's seeing further ahead. I've had a couple instances where I simply could not figure out what it's "problem" was.

• Helpful
I used to get bogus FCW alerts all the time in my neighborhood for cars parked on the inside of a curve and going uphill. Since 2019.16.x, I haven't had any at all. I think mine is set to late warning, due to the false alerts before--might try it on the standard setting now.

Ive always had my collision warning set to medium and its worked fairly well up until the most recent update. Now I’m seeing about two false positive per day. By false positive I mean the alarm sounds and I go “What the heck was that for?”

Additionally, the cars in adjacent lanes are much more jittery on the display when I’m at a stop light. I thought they fixed this bug a while ago, but it appears to be back with the most recent firmware. Not sure if the two are related.
Same observations for me

• Helpful

I get a number of false warnings every day, sometimes the car slams the brakes on on the motorway, when it thinks a truck is wandering. I now pass parked cars very wide, but still it goes off. My wife hates riding in the car because of it. I have to be ready to press the accelerator at all times. I use cruise control a lot, and have done so for years on various BMW’s, but this is very wearing. Have tried adjusting settings but they seem to reset when I switch off. Spoils a great car.