Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found a LOT of Model 3's in a Tesla lot - Pictures inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was my initial thought, but there are ways this could be mitigated.

The cars could self drive in convoys (human driver in lead car, making stops to get recharged at specific destinations) and Tesla could leave the protective shipping film on the cars, along with some other things in place until the car delivered itself.

This still doesn't address 1k miles on the odometer, tires, etc... I do believe that self driving a short distance to a rail yard might be an option.

Reactions: McFlurri
B17CFD50-AC0D-4439-83E3-D120D3FE9FC5.jpeg
C15BA49A-474F-479A-AF59-300476C9F26A.jpeg
DCE1E584-7307-4AC9-9D47-1EBAB473CFEC.jpeg
418C1AA2-5E08-4B05-9EB1-D350CBF4CAD2.jpeg
30E60F4E-1550-4F47-9BAF-2D0575F26DCA.jpeg
816E05E7-EB39-41F0-9513-2AB17F1D6DFC.jpeg
9FA4E29F-F4D2-4737-88F5-AE3619334B86.jpeg
Have they started parking cars on the back side of the lot or is that still employee parking where the fence was?
Still an employee lot -

4/12/18 around 845 am - they are making new “aisles” to squeeze the cars in so they’re packed in tighter than before. One local truck leaving the lot with 2 others loading.

Last edited:
Love seeing the red glow of the glass roofs. As far as mileage on the new cars, we were happy to see only 4-5 miles on our S when it was delivered across the bay to the Palo Alto store/service center. Don't know if they are moving S/Xs over there any more for deliveries but it was a nice option for us than traveling up the East Bay.

Reactions: GaryW
Thanks again for all the pictures @augkuo.

Knowing that so many people are so anxious to get these cars, one has to wonder why doesn't Tesla hire more transport trucking companies to get these cars to the people that want them. How hard could it be ?

Would you take 1000 miles on your car at delivery if they discounted it $1000?
The "destination" charge has to apply uniformly across the US, regardless of where or how the car is delivered. Even people taking delivery at the factory have to pay it. I'd be really surprised if there was a way to reduce the cost of the car based on how you choose to get the car delivered that would not be directly in conflict with the required destination charge.

Thanks again for all the pictures @augkuo.

Knowing that so many people are so anxious to get these cars, one has to wonder why doesn't Tesla hire more transport trucking companies to get these cars to the people that want them. How hard could it be ?

I imagine that it's always about price and availability - Tesla doesn't own the transport companies so they have to compete with all the other automakers making deliveries.

When they get to 5k/wk M3 + 2k/wk MS/X, that's 7k/wk cars, or 1000 cars/day. Each truck carries 9 cars I think, so 111 trucks/day. If truckers work 10 hours during the day, that's one truck every 5.4 minutes. If each car takes 10 minutes to load into the truck, each truck takes 90 minutes to fully load, then they need 17 trucks loading in parallel if a new truck is coming in every 5.4 minutes. It sounds daunting, but doesn't sound completely impossible.

This is why they need trains to haul the large quantities. RR's could show up with 100 rail cars if there were room to spot them at Richmond. what the old car loading was 6 lanes with 6 cars each holding ? 12 cars for 432 cars per load. UP could switch out the cars faster than Tesla could load them. I know my car said in Alabama for at least 2-3 weeks waiting for a truck ride up to VA. Sorry Elon trains are faster and more efficient than your semi's.

Last edited:
The "destination" charge has to apply uniformly across the US, regardless of where or how the car is delivered. Even people taking delivery at the factory have to pay it. I'd be really surprised if there was a way to reduce the cost of the car based on how you choose to get the car delivered that would not be directly in conflict with the required destination charge.

If that's true they still might be able to do it by way of a rebate or some such.

The idea is that Tesla, even with the huge volume they do, is paying somewhere in the neighborhood of $200-$500 to get these cars shipped to the DCs. If they could eventually get some of the cars to self deliver (via caravan, etc.) that is a massive savings for them.... one way to make the idea more palatable to consumers is to find some way of passing the cost savings along to make up for the wear.

It, for example, might only make sense to do this for deliveries within 500 miles of the factory and perhaps they could rebate back to the customer $.x for each mile on the car at delivery.

It, for example, might only make sense to do this for deliveries within 500 miles of the factory and perhaps they could rebate back to the customer $.x for each mile on the car at delivery.
I suppose it's possible. Not being a CPA or tax lawyer, I have no idea what wording is used or how it is applied in practice. But it seems that since the destination charge has to be the same, by law, regardless of pickup, then there is no rebate possible as well. The law may have been written vague enough that some could interpret it one way, but it would be up to the courts to enforce it, and the federal government could step in and muddy things up.

Yes, I think it would be nice if they could do that, and perhaps the laws can change in the future, but for now, I'm sure this is just a pipe dream. :)

This is why they need trains to haul the large quantities. RR's could show up with 100 rail cars if there were room to spot them at Richmond. what the old car loading was 6 lanes with 6 cars each holding ? 12 cars for 432 cars per load. UP could switch out the cars faster than Tesla could load them. I know my car said in Alabama for at least 2-3 weeks waiting for a truck ride up to VA. Sorry Elon trains are faster and more efficient than your semi's.
I think rail is a possibility as volume goes higher. I also think that rail could be used for incoming parts as well. Given that there are 2 parts storage buildings built recently for M3 production, one of them located where the old rails were, and the cars also need somewhere to park while they queue up for a train full, it would be interesting to see how/where Tesla would configure the rail if they do use them in the future.

I think rail is a possibility as volume goes higher. I also think that rail could be used for incoming parts as well. Given that there are 2 parts storage buildings built recently for M3 production, one of them located where the old rails were, and the cars also need somewhere to park while they queue up for a train full, it would be interesting to see how/where Tesla would configure the rail if they do use them in the future.
Still rooting for this:

Realistically, with the self driving features, the 3 can load itself onto an arbitrarily long train without the problems of getting drivers back for the far end.

...since the destination charge has to be the same, by law, regardless of pickup, then there is no rebate possible as well.

As far as I've been able to research this is a common misconception. The only thing legislated regarding delivery charges is that they have to be listed as a separate line item on the invoice. There is no law saying they have to be charged or that they have to be the same for all buyers. I've tried to find "the law" that says it several times and all I can ever find are people referring to it but no one ever has a source or link to it.

Still rooting for this:
Autorack - Wikipedia

Realistically, with the self driving features, the 3 can load itself onto an arbitrarily long train without the problems of getting drivers back for the far end.
The Vert-a-Pac seems inapplicable for FSD self-loading.. The tri-level Stac-Pac configuration may be possible fro FSD self-loading, that allows 12 cars per rail car. If FSD is limited to one-level loading then that limits to 4 casr per rail car.

At 5k/wk M3 + 2k/wk MS/X, 1000 cars a day, that translates to 83 rail cars in Stac-Pac configuration, and 250 rail cars in single level configuration, each rail car is 89 ft long in your link. So we're looking at 1.4 miles to 5.6 miles of rail cars depend on 1-level or 3-level loading. Tesla Fremont factory is ~1/2 mile long, so it may not be that simple of a slam dunk. Average train in the US is ~2km long (6600 ft), so probably need multiple trains a day, so scheduling also is not simple.

Another factor is the loading speed. A lot of the loading time is not just driving the car onto a truck or a rail car, but strapping it down. In a rail configuration I don't know if it's practical to drive cars into multiple rail cars in parallel, I can't visualize it. I can only see cars entering at one end of the train, with platforms connecting one rail car to the next, so cars can sequentially drive themselves into the train. That also means that each car needs to get strapped down sequentially after they reached their designated position in the train.

Compare this to trucks, where multiple trucks can be loaded in parallel, I'm not sure if the train would be necessarily quicker.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: immunogold
Would you take 1000 miles on your car at delivery if they discounted it $1000?

If they asked me right now I would say no. The reason is I think they are having a hard enough time delivering a car that doesn't need rework after delivery. All I want is for more risk in that my car would need rework.

Maybe if they got everything all flawless and there were not any reports of finish issues on the cars at delivery AND others tested it before me then I might consider it.

Frankly spending 60k on a brand new car I want it to not have 1k miles or I would be looking at an inventory car. To me the car would be used when I received it.

The Vert-a-Pac seems inapplicable for FSD self-loading.. The tri-level Stac-Pac configuration may be possible fro FSD self-loading, that allows 12 cars per rail car. If FSD is limited to one-level loading then that limits to 4 car per rail car.

At 5k/wk M3 + 2k/wk MS/X, 1000 cars a day, that translates to 83 trains in Stac-Pac configuration, and 250 cars in single level configuration, each rail car is 89 ft long in your link. Average train in the US is ~2km long (6600 ft). At 89ft per rail car, this gives 74 rail cars, so we're looking at 2-4 trains per day, each longer than a mile. Tesla Fremont factory is ~1/2 mile long, so it may not be that simple of a slam dunk.

Yah, Vert-a-pac is not so FSD friendly, but I like it :D

Wow, now that you mention it, 1,000 3's are basically 3 miles long..

Fremont is going make over 3 miles of car a day!
I mean WHOA!

(yes other OEM make lots of cars, they are also impressive)

Yah, Vert-a-pac is not so FSD friendly, but I like it :D

Wow, now that you mention it, 1,000 3's are basically 3 miles long..

Fremont is going make over 3 miles of car a day!
I mean WHOA!

(yes other OEM make lots of cars, they are also impressive)
Yeah that is mind-boggling isn't it? :D

Sorry I was editing my post after you quoted/replied, also added some comments regarding the sequential nature of train loading, vs parallel truck loading. I think trains definitely offer some interesting potential, but practically there are lots of issues to work out.

Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
Yeah that is mind-boggling isn't it? :D

Sorry I was editing my post after you quoted/replied, also added some comments regarding the sequential nature of train loading, vs parallel truck loading. I think trains definitely offer some interesting potential, but practically there are lots of issues to work out.

No way to get cars into the middle without splitting the train or having special ramp cars. The cars would drive on from the back at 1 MPH ( only takes an hour to load 1 mile at single level). The load speed is so slow, it could be done with summon;).

I'm not sure they actually strap the cars down due to the train tracks being pretty smooth. Images show deep wheel pockets for some transports.

• Informative
Reactions: Waiting4M3
No way to get cars into the middle without splitting the train or having special ramp cars. The cars would drive on from the back at 1 MPH ( only takes an hour to load 1 mile at single level). The load speed is so slow, it could be done with summon;).

I'm not sure they actually strap the cars down due to the train tracks being pretty smooth. Images show deep wheel pockets for some transports.
I wish I could rate Informative, Like, and Funny at the same time. Imagine 3 miles of cars crawling at 1MPH.