Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found a LOT of Model 3's in a Tesla lot - Pictures inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4/11/18 around 2:30 pm - 6 carriers loading, 1 leaving the lot and 1 waiting to get into position. Looks like the bottleneck now is the transportation process.

F2E55DFE-5728-40AA-98B2-2589A6BFE16E.jpeg
DC953DF4-8229-4864-9734-3A3E864093CB.jpeg
E88F0325-66DC-4393-83CA-64A2EF86AD5D.jpeg
656D88B7-6992-4C96-A1E2-CD9921F890E3.jpeg
60B0ED37-98F1-4211-905C-431762E09DED.jpeg
51FEE9E6-9F94-4AD9-BA29-3CB35855A6E1.jpeg
54B9C7F6-2C2E-4CD2-B8B1-9F14F0693975.jpeg
2BCAAE1C-D428-45DE-965D-6258616C681A.jpeg

When they get to 5k/wk M3 + 2k/wk MS/X, that's 7k/wk cars, or 1000 cars/day. Each truck carries 9 cars I think, so 111 trucks/day. If truckers work 10 hours during the day, that's one truck every 5.4 minutes. If each car takes 10 minutes to load into the truck, each truck takes 90 minutes to fully load, then they need 17 trucks loading in parallel if a new truck is coming in every 5.4 minutes. It sounds daunting, but doesn't sound completely impossible.

When they get to 5k/wk M3 + 2k/wk MS/X, that's 7k/wk cars, or 1000 cars/day. Each truck carries 9 cars I think, so 111 trucks/day. If truckers work 10 hours during the day, that's one truck every 5.4 minutes. If each car takes 10 minutes to load into the truck, each truck takes 90 minutes to fully load, then they need 17 trucks loading in parallel if a new truck is coming in every 5.4 minutes. It sounds daunting, but doesn't sound completely impossible.
So that’s one heck of a lot of trucks when you put it that way.

Still loading at 8pm

Wonder if it's easier for the trucks to get on the road and use less fuel (not sitting in traffic) if they can leave loaded in the evening hours. Not necessarily thinking of the deliveries that will go by train but more so the ones driven to Southern California and elsewhere by truck trailers.

I think they only 8 on a lot of the trucks.
Now assume the Model Y and this place pumping out 1 million cars a year

I can't imagine that the Y will be produced here in any volume..

Last edited:
It feels very inefficient to produce a car, then it gets parked by a driver in a line, the they wait, then a driver loads them on a truck.

There are humans involved. There's waiting time, there's space used. Workers need to walk to the car. This process needs to be designed more efficient. Does someone knows if there are solutions for this? FSD would help here, but loading into the truk would be an extra software module ;-)

Reactions: Sean Wagner
It feels very inefficient to produce a car, then it gets parked by a driver in a line, the they wait, then a driver loads them on a truck.

There are humans involved. There's waiting time, there's space used. Workers need to walk to the car. This process needs to be designed more efficient. Does someone knows if there are solutions for this? FSD would help here, but loading into the truk would be an extra software module ;-)
Pretty sure all cars are driven around proven ground before getting signed off for delivery

All well and good but right now the focus is on getting them built in the most efficient manner. Let's let them concentrate on that aspect for right now. How to get them from the end of assembly to the parking lot is a ways down the priority list.

Dan

Yeah I don't want my car driving all the way from Cali to Texas. It WILL show up with chips/cracks/etc... Plus 1k+ miles on the odometer.

That was my initial thought, but there are ways this could be mitigated.

The cars could self drive in convoys (human driver in lead car, making stops to get recharged at specific destinations) and Tesla could leave the protective shipping film on the cars, along with some other things in place until the car delivered itself.

Final delivery could/would include having someone scheduled to show up and detail the car and do final QC check.

The real icing on the cake would be if Tesla offered buyers the choice of paying $1,000 for "normal" delivery where it is trucked to a delivery center for handover or if the customer was willing to waive the delivery fee if the car delivered itself.

That was my initial thought, but there are ways this could be mitigated.

The cars could self drive in convoys (human driver in lead car, making stops to get recharged at specific destinations) and Tesla could leave the protective shipping film on the cars, along with some other things in place until the car delivered itself.

Final delivery could/would include having someone scheduled to show up and detail the car and do final QC check.

The real icing on the cake would be if Tesla offered buyers the choice of paying $1,000 for "normal" delivery where it is trucked to a delivery center for handover or if the customer was willing to waive the delivery fee if the car delivered itself.
Off track, but...
Just teach the car to get on a truck or train. That will speed load times and reduce scratches and other issues. For train loading, I think a tunnel may be needed. A million cars a year is going to need a much faster way to get cars away from the lot.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Off track, but...
Just teach the car to get on a truck or train. That will speed load times and reduce scratches and other issues. For train loading, I think a tunnel may be needed. A million cars a year is going to need a much faster way to get cars away from the lot.

Someday: cars can drive themselves over to the rail yard and onto the train at night when there is little traffic to disturb.

Reactions: erthquake
Off track, but...

Tesla is nowhere near needing to move a million cars a year out of that factory. Peak production of all lines is estimated to be well under 500K cars a year.

Additionally, plenty of other manufacturers who DO have factories that crank out 1M+ cars a year have found ways to get it to work. Some use more conventional means and others have more elaborate methods of moving that many units around.

• Disagree
Reactions: McFlurri and dc_h