Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found a LOT of Model 3's in a Tesla lot - Pictures inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure about that. I remember reading somewhere that they have to report the VINs 30 days before the sale in order to give time for the states Motor Vehicles departments to update their records. (sorry to lazy to verify this info)
You may be thinking of the requirement to submit the VIN deciper info 60 days prior to selling the 1st car:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/manufacturer_information_march2014.pdf

Under 49 CFR 565.26, a motor vehicle manufacturer must submit to NHTSA, either directly or through an agent, information the agency will need to decipher the manufacturer’s VIN characters not later than 60 days before the manufacturer offers for sale the first vehicle identified by that VIN or if information concerning vehicle characteristics sufficient to specify the VIN code is unavailable to the manufacturer by that date, then within one week after that information first becomes available. The purpose of the 60-day requirement is to permit users of the VIN, such as State motor vehicle agencies, to obtain the necessary deciphering information before vehicle purchasers begin registering their vehicles.

I wonder why Tesla has not registered any new vin’s lately. Last numbers are from 23 May.

I don't think they're in danger of running out any time soon. Between the factory shutdown and what appears to be a slow ramp back up, they still have a substantial VIN buffer (~15-20k). Also, it's been even longer since new invitations have been sent out...April if I recall correctly.

You may be thinking of the requirement to submit the VIN deciper info 60 days prior to selling the 1st car:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/manufacturer_information_march2014.pdf

Thanks for digging this up. I've been wondering why they haven't yet submitted the VIN decoder to NHTSA, given that Elon said production of the P version was beginning. I need that code so I can add it to my script! :)

I don't think they're in danger of running out any time soon. Between the factory shutdown and what appears to be a slow ramp back up, they still have a substantial VIN buffer (~15-20k). Also, it's been even longer since new invitations have been sent out...April if I recall correctly.

What are you basing the "appears to be a slow ramp back up" on? The information appearing here in this thread seems to indicate that we are back to at least pre-shutdown levels (although the reports have not been as regular lately). I would agree that lack of VIN assignment, and certainly lack of invitations could indicate a slow ramp, but so could deferring 200K until July (which is the explanation I prefer). I would not be surprised at all to see VIN assignments go nuts starting the last week of June with VINs into the mid 40's being reported.

But that still does leave a buffer, although an atypically tight one. But I'm sure this is all part of Tesla's desire to keep their intentions to themselves and they will wait until the very last possible moment (or July 1, whichever comes first) to request another huge batch.

For what it's worth here on the east coast. There were two truck loads of Tesla being off loaded while I was there. the 3's didn't have the full cover but also only had vin's in the 22K range. They did have the partial wrap though.

I would have thought a much higher vin would be showing up with the full cover. My S came in an enclosed truck and was still pretty dirty by the time it traveled cross country on the train.

I would think those baggies would be showing up here soon.

B44A6AFA-34EE-4CC6-B779-73D95E661966.jpeg
D84DA544-5C27-4EFC-9AD2-6D78F51A84DA.jpeg
97C1783E-1145-4F81-80FD-1085CDF5FCB4.jpeg
A528E77A-9C66-4AE4-A75E-BE5A8BF96DDB.jpeg
66235B92-26C5-4B02-8C8E-85862F26A614.jpeg
9280F563-CF5A-4517-B97C-68645AE47E60.jpeg
FDB20B86-5833-44DB-BD36-A1B593772F60.jpeg
6/14/18 around 9:30am - 4 trucks loading lot looks pretty full except for room left for the carriers

Attachments

• 0DC9BEF3-467F-4EEB-B502-24B9360081D9.jpeg
    0DC9BEF3-467F-4EEB-B502-24B9360081D9.jpeg
    542.1 KB · Views: 53
Well not the parking lot and didn't take picture (in theory some footage in my dash cam I guess). But just north of Seattle about mile from my home there was truck broken down. Drove past full speed so not sure on count but I think 6x M3 and 1x MS, most likely heading to Canada. Hopefully they can fix the truck fast so no delays on deliveries.

Well not the parking lot and didn't take picture (in theory some footage in my dash cam I guess). But just north of Seattle about mile from my home there was truck broken down. Drove past full speed so not sure on count but I think 6x M3 and 1x MS, most likely heading to Canada. Hopefully they can fix the truck fast so no delays on deliveries.

They just need to hook one of the Model Xes up to the truck and give it a tow. ;)

What are you basing the "appears to be a slow ramp back up" on? The information appearing here in this thread seems to indicate that we are back to at least pre-shutdown levels (although the reports have not been as regular lately). I would agree that lack of VIN assignment, and certainly lack of invitations could indicate a slow ramp, but so could deferring 200K until July (which is the explanation I prefer). I would not be surprised at all to see VIN assignments go nuts starting the last week of June with VINs into the mid 40's being reported.

But that still does leave a buffer, although an atypically tight one. But I'm sure this is all part of Tesla's desire to keep their intentions to themselves and they will wait until the very last possible moment (or July 1, whichever comes first) to request another huge batch.

I’m basing the “appears to be a slow ramp” mainly on the reasons you mentioned. Lack of new invites since April, low # of VIN assignments, no large increase in scheduled deliveries, low max VIN reported, delivery delay emails, etc.

Either way I think the next week or two will be telling (as you pointed out). I’m waiting to see what happens in the near term before forming a definitive opinion.