Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found Some HEPA filters for the Model 3: way cheaper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And no, you can't kill your heater core either. The whole point of "PTC" heating elements is they adjust resistance rapidly to maintain a certain temperature. You could have no airflow at all through the heater core and current would dial back rapidly to almost nothing once the PTC stones got up to temperature.

The risk of excessive restriction is the fan may not be able to move enough air to keep you comfortable. That is it.

Good Info! I guess the only draw back is you having to constantly adjust the AC vents manually because the car will not heat or cool fast enough inside the cabin due to air flow restriction when both the HEPA and external filter are being used at the same time. I prefer the exterior cover and hepa filter allowing me to use the auto mode when running the hvac system.

In technical term, HEPA filter can trap the 99%+ of particles. But the pressure drop is very large, so that the fan required to increase pressure. Otherwise, it will caused no air flow.
Are you confirm that is HEPA filter?

In technical term, HEPA filter can trap the 99%+ of particles. But the pressure drop is very large, so that the fan required to increase pressure. Otherwise, it will caused no air flow.
Are you confirm that is HEPA filter?

Yes, I'm using Xtechnors HEPA filters and the basic black plastic coverlet in the frunk and I see very little airflow restriction.(As posted in the video) Its only when using the exterior filter, the black coverlet, and internal HEPA filters I see a large reduction in airflow.

Any concern here that if you burn up a blower motor Tesla will not honor the warranty due to the increase resistance of the HEPA filters?

I've used third party cabin filters on my Toyota and Lexus cars for years and never had a problem. There is a very large market for third party cabin filters and I've never heard of anyone blowing a motor and invalidating a warranty as a result.

I do think you may reduce your efficiency if you switch to HEPA filters during extreme weather conditions because the fan is going to have to work harder to achieve the desired temperature.

That was my thinking. If a HEPA filter is fine for the Model S and its HVAC system why wouldn't a HEPA filter work with the Model 3?

They will work. But the filters in a Model 3 are much smaller than the Model S/X. So the question is are they large enough to filter 99.7% of all air particles down to .3 microns in size. To achieve these results the filters need a minimum amount of surface area. My guess is that they are not big enough so they may not achieve the true HEPA standard. But they will definitely filter a good percentage of airborne particles, so it can’t hurt to try them out. Just be aware that airflow will likely be reduced.

• Love
Reactions: sa012
They will work. But the filters in a Model 3 are much smaller than the Model S/X. So the question is are they large enough to filter 99.7% of all air particles down to .3 microns in size. To achieve these results the filters need a minimum amount of surface area. My guess is that they are not big enough so they may not achieve the true HEPA standard. But they will definitely filter a good percentage of airborne particles, so it can’t hurt to try them out. Just be aware that airflow will likely be reduced.
The reduced airflow would be a concern if I change from a regular filter to a HEPA filter. It'll probably be about another 6 months but just trying to gauge and concerns or issues with the upgrade. My cabin doesn't smell musky or have an odor so my reason for wanting to upgrade would be better air filtration. But if it's at the cost of reduced air flow then I'll probably stick with the regular air filter.