Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found this little gem on my $55K Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, have driven many late model cars (mostly GM, Toyota, Nissan, Ford rental cars and for testing at work). I'd say they are all considerably louder than my Y at any speed. I'll acknowledge that they've gotten better in recent years than older offerings, but not on par with Tesla. Is your Model S loud from wind noise or drivetrain/powertrain related?

Wind noise and road noise.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
folks here questioning ‘Folks it has to do with NVH’ has no clue.

coming from automotive engineer here...
with micro vibrations, that wood will compress under that clooge of a thing strap, and the whole assembly will loose it’s purpose.

That’s now how parts are assembled in automotive engineering world.

This thing is up for a major recall for safety. Who ever authorized this decision has no idea of basic vibrations theory in automotive world. Amazing for a $60,000 car.
I question the qualification of any self-professed engineer who doesn't know how to spell "kluge". It is occasionally misspelled "kludge", but your abomination is new to me. Fake engineer for sure!

Don't know if anyone has already said this but it looks the wood pieces were added perhaps during shipping from China to the US. Tesla peeps then forgot to remove the band and the wood pieces. The condenser doesn't appear to jut up against anything so it was likely added ad hoc during the shipping process to keep them from damage.

Here is mine...taken during Homelink Install
IMG_2937.jpeg

I question the qualification of any self-professed engineer who doesn't know how to spell "kluge". It is occasionally misspelled "kludge", but your abomination is new to me. Fake engineer for sure!

Your attack still does not address what people are finding in their cars.
Here is mine...taken during Homelink Install
View attachment 587552

Ahh there you go... now is the tightness of that retainer indenting the top of the fins? Or do you have how it should be? Or even cutting through or melting the strip? I am just trying to ascertain the purpose of the wooden etc upgrade.

Your attack still does not address what people are finding in their cars.

Ahh there you go... now is the tightness of that retainer indenting the top of the fins? Or do you have how it should be? Or even cutting through or melting the strip? I am just trying to ascertain the purpose of the wooden etc upgrade.
My "attack" (was that really an attack?) wasn't an attempt to address anything people are finding in their cars.

I have yet to see anybody with a problem, just surprise and questioning the quality of parts they observed. It's a big ball of nothing for now. If there's actually ever a problem, then it will become interesting. Right now it's something nobody ever sees that looks funny.

My "attack" (was that really an attack?) wasn't an attempt to address anything people are finding in their cars.

I have yet to see anybody with a problem, just surprise and questioning the quality of parts they observed. It's a big ball of nothing for now. If there's actually ever a problem, then it will become interesting. Right now it's something nobody ever sees that looks funny.

Until it falls off....

Until it falls off....
Right now nothing is falling off. It's all pointless worry. If there ever is a problem, it will get fixed. If you don't trust Tesla to do this, you shouldn't own a Tesla because they have far more deadly ways to screw things up. This is pretty much equivalent to screaming about an imperfect haircut and not worrying about getting a fatal virus. But maybe you're doing that too?

• Disagree
Reactions: croman and CyberShy
You have to admit it is funny to see Home Depot molding be used to assemble the internals of a brand new Tesla (I think that was the OP's intent). Unless we think every post on TMC should only be complimentary of Elon and Tesla?

If Tesla told you your car was going to be delivered late because they wanted to take extra time getting it right... would you say, 'nah... deliver me that poopoo car, I'll sacrifice the quality so you guys can achieve your Q2 goals' ?

I sort of think most people would choose a slightly delayed quality car.

Are we really sure it’s from Home Depot? I’m sure Lowes sells something similar. Just saying....:D

Right now nothing is falling off. It's all pointless worry. If there ever is a problem, it will get fixed. If you don't trust Tesla to do this, you shouldn't own a Tesla because they have far more deadly ways to screw things up. This is pretty much equivalent to screaming about an imperfect haircut and not worrying about getting a fatal virus. But maybe you're doing that too?

OK its a bonus gift nothing to see here!

040C46D3-E1E1-40E2-AA3B-B3ED1974B704.png

have yet to see anybody with a problem, just surprise and questioning the quality of parts they observed. It's a big ball of nothing for now. If there's actually ever a problem, then it will become interesting. Right now it's something nobody ever sees that looks funny.
There have been at least a few people who have had this assembly replaced. No one has determined that this is the reason for the replacement though.
I'm still curious if this has been changed in Rev C...

Yours seems to be missing the trim (continuous improvement? I feel like this might actually work better...).
You're also missing the heat pump sound insulation.
That was taken before my AC went out and they had to replace the entire super manifold. Hopefully they put the missing insulation in at that time. Who knows. They also replaced my second row seat backs which I never asked for...guess its a TSB

I think this is what is supposed to be as shown from our MYP VIN 21xxx assembled in July. Anything other than this should be directed to the service center for correction.
Yours doesn't seem to have the lower piece?
Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 6.07.29 PM.png

It's amazing that Tesla was able to validate so many different designs. :p
I agree with @mongo that this is actually to hold the plastic fitting on the back snug with the LCC. I think the design without any corner moulding is actually the best and faux wood being the worst because it will compress over time and make the strap loose.

I think this is what is supposed to be as shown from our MYP VIN 21xxx assembled in July. Anything other than this should be directed to the service center for correction.

If your LCC packing strap protectors break, here is your lifetime replacement solution;

Replacement PN#: EP-5620-USA
Cargo Packing Edge Protector, 1-7/8" x 1", White, PK1000
Qty 1000 @ $57
Z-sx3tjcpIx_.JPG

(Gotta wonder if were they were recycling these from other packaging discards... ran out, then sent someone to Home Depot?)

Last edited:
^ It's part of the cooling system... that also cools the battery. You don't want to overheat a battery that is basically the floor of the car.
The car will not let the pack overheat. It will cut the charging or the motors if the temperature gets too high. Long before that, it will throw a low coolant warning.

Why would I not challenge those who clearly have no intention of actually owning a Tesla and who post click bait for short sellers?
Debate about quality is fine. But when posters claim "most" or "all" Teslas have xyz defects, that transitions to hyperbole unsupported by evidence.

If you look at my posts, I'm totally in support of Tesla addressing issues where there is a clear defect. (White paint panels mismatched, severely mis-aligned doors, trunks and frunks need to be addressed by Tesla. But whining about a speck on the paint or a 1mm misalignment of a door? Really?)

I really do not think this is anything to do with the wonderful stock price and short sellers. That is just another blanket excuse to not address the problems in all models. The OP here was not after click bait in fact it looks like he wanted it closed after it hit mass media which I can understand and we can thank him for discovering it so people can get it rectified before damage is done. The question that needs to be answered for the greater good of mankind and Tesla's reputation is how these jerry rig answers to securing part of a car were ever allowed on a production line? Then the next question who qualified the car ready for the customer in stages of its build? I think the general answer as like with my own model 3 none. Ironically this issue was raised because the OP had to repair the most obvious and long standing issues with just about all Tesla cars panel misalignment.

The simple truth is years on and Tesla buyers are paying a premium for a new car that is factory faulty in every sense of the automotive industry for various reasons. In my case an entire large list. There should be a element of pride in your product. We are way past the prototype stages and nowhere on the website when you buy does it say you will be treated as such on purchase no. You want a car just like in those pictures. Taking after sale corrective measures on the new buyers time and expense. Some people including Telsa need to grow a pair and stop these cars even getting on the boat like it.

End of the factory line for e.g. 50 point check. Off the boat 50 point check. Pass = give it to the customer. Fail = rectify the obvious issues, update the car with any bulletin fixes and then pass it onto the customer. That order of things makes sense and creates a sense of pride in what you sell. Why the hell Tesla management don't get that reputation is very quickly being eroded I do not know. I wouldn't expect a falcon 9 to launch failing its 25,000 point check.