Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found this little gem on my $55K Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyways, asked my Tesla salesperson to delay my MY order.

What a POS engineering it is at the moment. How did this pass quality department and pass NVH testing?

What does this have to do with NVH (noise vibration and harshness)? I’ve driven a lot of late model cars from all different manufacturers and the Model Y blows most everything else (ICE vehicles) out of the water in terms of NVH. Also way better performance and efficiency than anything at this price point. I’ve spent 15 years working as an engineer for legacy car companies and there is an enormous amount of complacency and resistance to change and innovation. Tesla is a breath of fresh air as far as I’m concerned. Sure they aren’t perfect but they hit it out of the park in the areas I care about.

Well the strap and fake wood shims are there to stop that part from moving, so related to vibration.

But who gives the OK to use this as a fix? Or are people just allowed improvisation on the lines? Was it just left on packaging material?Anyone who takes one look realises its a temporary fix and all those cars with them need a recall with the proper parts no? Or again are we in the when it breaks, blame the customer its to spec and let them fit the bill. Are there any examples of this being done in industry before to balance out the industry material argument?

Maybe the OP can post a picture of the fixed version to see how it was meant to be.

I did not imply nor say you were, and sorry if you took it that way. But thanks for assuming a general statement applied to you specifically.

The entitled customer that acts like he/she is God's gift and reacts when anyone refuses a request will find attitude reflected back at him/her.

Remaining calm and cordial works wonders compared to ranting and demanding.

Thank you for clarifying, sometimes it is easy to misunderstand ones tone through text displayed on the Internet.

If you knew me personally you would know that having worked in the customer service industry in my younger years has made me overly nice and cordial to those that work in the service industry. That was my tone throughout the discussion about the defects on the car. When I noted that the drivers front door was high at both the front and back ends, making all horizontal body lines not match, her response was “we’re talking millimeters here.”

The overall experience left a lot to be desired but we’re willing to give it another go and we are going further down the rabbit hole By buying TSLA.

Reactions: rxlawdude
One reason why you never buy the early versions of a product. It may not seem like a big deal but over time I expect that material to be compressed, which loosens the pressure of the strap, negating it's purpose to provide support. I don't think the faux trim is dense enough to hold up over time, and I doubt it was tested for durability. Not a good look Tesla. Plenty of better solutions at the local hardware store like PVC or CPVC pipe cut in half or ABS plastic sheet bent with a heat gun.
You're assuming it is for support of the exchanger.

My opinion based on the images I've seen:

The LCC is on the high side of the compressor loop, there are two large round ports (green) that mate to the metal manifold. The LCC bolts to this manifold with 4 fasteners (orange). This connection is strong enough to handle 200ish psi x the port area. Plenty strong to handle the mass of the LCC. The LCC itself is a stack of stamped and brazed plates, also very strong.

Then look at the strap. It has almost no angle relative to the assembly, it is not constrained against sliding, nor are the corners bent (formed). This would not stop the LCC from sagging nor does the setup look correct to reduce vibration. Further, the nylon is not structurally able to provide support.

So then, what does it do? The liquid side of things is provided by two rectangular ports (blue) from the plastic/nylon manifold assembly. This is bolted to the metal manifold, but it is not fastened directly to the LCC (since they are mounted to the same piece, it's almost the same). More critically, it does not have any fasteners between the two ports.
The coolant system operates under low pressure (pump induced only verus an ICE that runs at 16psi to raise the boiling point) thus the amount of sealing force needed is also low.
My thought is that the strap fastens the cross support (red) between the ports to the LCC to provide more sealing force and keep them in contact. This compensates for any distortion in the nylon piece or relative movement due to differences in coefficient of thermal expansion. The nylon is bent (deformed) to provide preload and the natural bend of the strap does also. As long as contact is maintained, the system stays sealed.

Picture from Munro, markups mine.
20200912_104810.jpg

Model Y blows most everything else (ICE vehicles) out of the water in terms of NVH

I couldn't disagree more with this part of your statement. Have you been in ANY new-ish ICE car? It really is amazing how much more smooth and quiet they are compared to any tesla for that matter, not just the Y. Of course I'm talking about normal driving speeds. Under 30-40mph, yeah, it's probably quieter. On the other end, at highway speeds above 70mph, Tesla is pretty much the worst in this comparison.

Real life example: my facelift Model S is much louder on the highway compared to my wife's VW Beetle. And this is saying a lot since the Beetle has aerodynamics of a potato, and it's still much quieter inside.

Tesla has no idea what NVH testing is.

Why would I not challenge those who clearly have no intention of actually owning a Tesla and who post click bait for short sellers?
Debate about quality is fine. But when posters claim "most" or "all" Teslas have xyz defects, that transitions to hyperbole unsupported by evidence.

If you look at my posts, I'm totally in support of Tesla addressing issues where there is a clear defect. (White paint panels mismatched, severely mis-aligned doors, trunks and frunks need to be addressed by Tesla. But whining about a speck on the paint or a 1mm misalignment of a door? Really?)

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: croman and Bet TSLA
Reasonable analysis but if the fake wood spacers do compress over time then the sealing force would be reduced.
Thanks!
If the spacers compress too much I agree. Countering that is the nylon deformation preload and spring of the strap. Additionally, if the system as a whole is rigid, there should not additional force on the trim to compress it beyond the initial strap tensioning. (Unless the plastic itself breaks down excessively)

Reactions: bhzmark
I couldn't disagree more with this part of your statement. Have you been in ANY new-ish ICE car? It really is amazing how much more smooth and quiet they are compared to any tesla for that matter, not just the Y. Of course I'm talking about normal driving speeds. Under 30-40mph, yeah, it's probably quieter. On the other end, at highway speeds above 70mph, Tesla is pretty much the worst in this comparison.

Real life example: my facelift Model S is much louder on the highway compared to my wife's VW Beetle. And this is saying a lot since the Beetle has aerodynamics of a potato, and it's still much quieter inside.

Tesla has no idea what NVH testing is.
Yes, have driven many late model cars (mostly GM, Toyota, Nissan, Ford rental cars and for testing at work). I'd say they are all considerably louder than my Y at any speed. I'll acknowledge that they've gotten better in recent years than older offerings, but not on par with Tesla. Is your Model S loud from wind noise or drivetrain/powertrain related?

Well the strap and fake wood shims are there to stop that part from moving, so related to vibration.

folks here questioning ‘Folks it has to do with NVH’ has no clue.

coming from automotive engineer here...
with micro vibrations, that wood will compress under that clooge of a thing strap, and the whole assembly will loose it’s purpose.

That’s now how parts are assembled in automotive engineering world.

This thing is up for a major recall for safety. Who ever authorized this decision has no idea of basic vibrations theory in automotive world. Amazing for a $60,000 car.

Profit over quality/process, what else is new.

Engineering models accounting for correct tolerance would have caught this before it reached production, even on initial build it should have been caught and ECD through PLM system back to engineering for correction. It was not b/c this type of streamlined manufacturing is a-typical (putting cars together in tents for example) compared to established companies ie Toyota, Ford, GM ..., all for the sake of profits and schedule. Par for the course with tesla

Good thing Musk is not in the vaccine business!

The strap and corner moldings are definitely and afterthought/fix for some problem that cropped up after production... take a look at the official Tesla parts catalog page below... no strap or corner moldings

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark
you are trying to talk reason to tesla fan boys

folks here questioning ‘Folks it has to do with NVH’ has no clue.

coming from automotive engineer here...
with micro vibrations, that wood will compress under that clooge of a thing strap, and the whole assembly will loose it’s purpose.

That’s now how parts are assembled in automotive engineering world.

This thing is up for a major recall for safety. Who ever authorized this decision has no idea of basic vibrations theory in automotive world. Amazing for a $60,000 car.

What is the safety defect going to be? Catch fire? Cause the brakes to fail? Sudden unintended acceleration? Loss of headlights?

Probably unintended and sudden urge to use the window opening to regulate the temperature until it can be fixed. Ohh 3rd world issues. Its not good but its not an unfixable disaster. Look Tesla badly need better quality control I think it needs to be addressed by the top brass. As it is their 5th car line in production and the onus to throw wooden inserts etc etc onto the customer base is quite honestly not what I as an owner expected from them. I want a Y but not the possible baggage. Is the brand not worth that extra investment to stop these things going into customer hands and rectified before they get the end product? Does Elon actually know this is happening and ok with it for what the greater good? Or are the wrong people in the wrong places for this task. Come on Tesla address this publicly!