Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found this little gem on my $55K Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me the fact that Tesla makes by far the safest cars on the road is so much more important than "workmanship" as you understand it that it's hard to express.
What makes you so sure the cars with "workmanship" issues are are as safe as the ones that were sent for safety testing?

Tesla gets to hand select which cars are sent for testing, and I highly doubt they select cars with imperfections for testing. If Tesla can't consistently assemble surface components properly, why do you think they are more careful with structural components.

What makes you so sure the cars with "workmanship" issues are are as safe as the ones that were sent for safety testing?

Tesla gets to hand select which cars are sent for testing, and I highly doubt they select cars with imperfections for testing. If Tesla can't consistently assemble surface components properly, why do you think they are more careful with structural components.
Because I'm rational. I pay attention to evidence generated by independent testing. As opposed to mindless rants on message boards.

I spent considerable time fixing my own panel gaps after Tesla refused. This was under the cowling in the frunk.
panel gaps? You mean there really are panel gaps? it's not a Fiction? not something That was simply made up by trolls or stock short'ers?
Hard to imagine!
:p
fitNfinish-1.jpg

sorry to hear they wouldn't fix yours. I guess they only did it for the more expensive models. Of course it took many many tries. hope your exploration turned out successful along with your panel alignment.

Can you point me to that evidence you refer to? Who does independent crash testing with randomly selected production vehicles?

NHTSA, IIHS, and Euro NCAP.

The Car Selection Explained | Euro NCAP:

Up to 4 cars are needed for an assessment by Euro NCAP. If a car model is already on sale, Euro NCAP will generally buy cars from dealers, in the same way that consumers do. Cars are bought anonymously, either from a single dealer or from several.

That may be true for some of the tests, but not the NHTSA, IIHS, or Euro NCAP ones. They purchase a car just like you or I would. (Just like how Consumer Reports purchase their test subject vehicles.)
When I purchased my car, Tesla knew who they were going to be sending it to before the first part was installed. You can't walk onto a Tesla dealership point at a car at random and say I'll take that one. Unless those testing groups are buying used cars, there is a decent chance that Tesla knows which cars are going to be tested before they begin assembly.

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark and MP3Mike
This is why we rejected the first Y they offered us. So many people were posting being unable to get a service appointment before the 7 day return policy and when getting to that service appointment being told their concerns were "within spec." Plus the person helping us was mysteriously unable to see a dent in the quarter panel and it took no less than 5 minutes to see the second of 5+ fish eyes on the frunk. When she offered to have the frunk re-painted we thanked her for her time and left. Prior to that though she did at one point tell me my standards may be too high for Tesla, that her 3 that was in the 300k VIN range was not perfect and that she would be so happy to be able to put family members in this Y. Weird flex, she probably wouldn't last long working in a traditional dealership yet she was the manager of this particular Tesla location.

Hopefully when we ask to be matched in January the vehicle they deliver will be very much improved.
I got the same kind of attitude from my Tesla rep. Its the whole you are lucky to be in our presence kind of attitude.

Reactions: imola.zhp
When I purchased my car, Tesla knew who they were going to be sending it to before the first part was installed. You can't walk onto a Tesla dealership point at a car at random and say I'll take that one. Unless those testing groups are buying used cars, there is a decent chance that Tesla knows which cars are going to be tested before they begin assembly.
You sure seem to love posting things. Doesn't seem to matter to you that you know nothing about the subject. Oh, well. Bye.

Its because this thread has gained mass media attraction, how I found it. I took back my model 3 after months of issues and ill prepared SC appointments. But this really does surprise me in terms of materials used they are poor. Do Tesla check on what their employees are producing? Or you seriously telling me management accept jerry rig repairs with untested results? I was kind of hoping for one off fake news but.... I guess now a model Y is not for me either. Tesla purchases are a mine field now its like snag listing a house.

p.s panel gaps are very real had plenty myself.