Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Four reasons owning a Model S has been bad for me...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. Several people I know, even though they make 6 figures, don't want to spend more than about $12k-15k for a car. So I've gotten some criticism purely for buying it.

The other day I was getting dinner and the guy making my sandwich said something about my car and then said "those are really expensive, like $70k". I couldn't say anything, especially after he just finished telling me how excited he is that minimum wage is going up to $10/hr at the beginning of 2016.

It is definitely a first world problem, but sometimes I wish I could talk about my car more and not feel judged. Probably why I spend so much time on TMC now.
All true. The Mrs. is extremely nervous about about how people judge her/us differently. We downplay it with the truth - it is, after all, a "company car." For me it's also work related because my clients are high net worth individuals in Silicon Valley and I can't exactly pick them up/meet them in a Datsun 280Z.

I dunno. When I first got the P85D I wanted *everyone* to notice - it symbolizes certain recent successes two decades in the making and I'm understandably excited about that. But five weeks in and I've learned I must temper when and who I can talk to about the car. I'm confident I've made people feel bad just because they know what it costs and that makes them feel self conscious in contrast. So, like Pete90D, I often come to this "safe place" to get my nerd on. Because driving this car is honestly the most fun I've had in a long time and I shouldn't feel bad about it. I f-cking earned it.

Last edited:
... But five weeks in and I've learned I must temper when and who I can talk to about the car. I'm confident I've made people feel bad just because they know what it costs and that makes them feel self conscious in contrast. ...

Agreed. For those who have a clue about our climate problem and/or our petroleum problem, I have found the following 3 points help "soften" the blow:
  1. Tesla has ignited a blowtorch underneath the collective behind of the auto industry about transitioning from petroleum to electric vehicles.
  2. Tesla hopes to offer a more affordable version in 2 years.
  3. The best way that I could help ensure Tesla stays relevant for 1 and 2 was to buy their current product, as I was able to find a way to afford it. Even buying Tesla stock is useless unless someone is buying the cars.

(Of course 3 goes over a little easier when you only have a non"Pxx" configuration -- although that price subtlety is likely beyond what the average person knows about Model S.)

(Of course 3 goes over a little easier when you only have a non"Pxx" configuration -- although that price subtlety is likely beyond what the average person knows about Model S.)
That right there. A P85D is on display in downtown SF behind the Hyatt. My parents are in town and know of my intentions. I showed them that car (in the new blue, nice). They said "Aren't these expensive?". To which I agreed, mentioning that most Telsas they see in the media are this one, and cost about twice as much as a base one.
But the base is pretty friggin' great!

Let's not forget the OP here. Brilliant thread!
What has been bad about being about to order? I think about that more than anything else right now when I am not kneck deep in work...

Yeah. Several people I know, even though they make 6 figures, don't want to spend more than about $12k-15k for a car. So I've gotten some criticism purely for buying it.
In the Bay Area, you can make "six figures" and still struggle if you have kids and a mortgage. So I sympathize.

I have always bought low-end cars my entire life. A few were used, and the new ones were always bargain-basement. It completely violates everything I believe in to spend so much on a car, but I can afford it and I love the car. But yeah... being judged by others is a problem.

The other day I was getting dinner and the guy making my sandwich said something about my car and then said "those are really expensive, like $70k". I couldn't say anything, especially after he just finished telling me how excited he is that minimum wage is going up to $10/hr at the beginning of 2016.
You can say they start at $52,000 with a semi-straight face. It requires you to bend the truth as much as the Tesla website does. :)

i explain that somewhere between year five and year eight it will cost about the same as if I had purchased a fully loaded Camry.

I remember trying to justify it and no matter what I said all I heard back was... "I could buy 12 of my car for that". I work with a lot of people that just want something with 4 wheels, a roof, and can go the speed limit even if it takes them minutes to reach highway speed.

All true. The Mrs. is extremely nervous about about how people judge her/us differently. We downplay it with the truth - it is, after all, a "company car." For me it's also work related because my clients are high net worth individuals in Silicon Valley and I can't exactly pick them up/meet them in a Datsun 280Z.

I dunno. When I first got the P85D I wanted *everyone* to notice - it symbolizes certain recent successes two decades in the making and I'm understandably excited about that. But five weeks in and I've learned I must temper when and who I can talk to about the car. I'm confident I've made people feel bad just because they know what it costs and that makes them feel self conscious in contrast. So, like Pete90D, I often come to this "safe place" to get my nerd on. Because driving this car is honestly the most fun I've had in a long time and I shouldn't feel bad about it. I f-cking earned it.

Having wealthy clients would definitely increase the need for improved presentation. There are a lot of people in the area that have money and don't care, but there are plenty that do.

I'm in a similar situation. It does show what I've achieved over the last decade and I worked really hard for a lot of years to be in the position I'm in and I did it without college. I guess that's why it bothers me more when people are critical. They simply have no idea what was given up or the work that was put into everything. Luckily I had a very old friend, who is also a car guy, visit the other day. When I took him for a ride he was blown away and was sincerely congratulatory of me getting the car and recognized the milestone because he remembers when I had $0 to my name and no career.

Honestly I think the Bay Area is probably a bad place for all of this too. There's a ton of money here, and a lot of people make a lot of money, but there's a lot of animosity towards people in the higher income brackets. Even from people who make 6 figures because $100k doesn't get you much in a number of cities around here. Mountain View alone, the rent for townhouses is in the $4k range, not many single family houses for under $1.2MM, townhouses are selling for $900k+. It doesn't matter how much you make, the fact that a run of the mill townhouse goes for that much is flat out ridiculous.

Having wealthy clients would definitely increase the need for improved presentation. There are a lot of people in the area that have money and don't care, but there are plenty that do.

I'm in a similar situation. It does show what I've achieved over the last decade and I worked really hard for a lot of years to be in the position I'm in and I did it without college. I guess that's why it bothers me more when people are critical. They simply have no idea what was given up or the work that was put into everything. Luckily I had a very old friend, who is also a car guy, visit the other day. When I took him for a ride he was blown away and was sincerely congratulatory of me getting the car and recognized the milestone because he remembers when I had $0 to my name and no career.

Honestly I think the Bay Area is probably a bad place for all of this too. There's a ton of money here, and a lot of people make a lot of money, but there's a lot of animosity towards people in the higher income brackets. Even from people who make 6 figures because $100k doesn't get you much in a number of cities around here. Mountain View alone, the rent for townhouses is in the $4k range, not many single family houses for under $1.2MM, townhouses are selling for $900k+. It doesn't matter how much you make, the fact that a run of the mill townhouse goes for that much is flat out ridiculous.
Actually, I think Telsa is a good badge of "Silicon Valley Success." Since the body styles are all the same you can have a $100k+ car and many people don't know it - so it's understated in that regard. Plus, its super safe, very green, family friendly, tech savvy, and made right here in the USA - all points that any US car owner can appreciate. My first choice in cars was actually a Maserati granTurismo, which costs about the same as a loaded P85D. The Mrs. vetoed because it was *too* ostentatious and had only two doors. And she was 100% right about both things. Most of my clients think Tesla is the bomb and want to discuss the car, the company, the tech, Musk, Space X, whatever - many are stock holders and are pleased to see me improve their holdings. I think if I pulled up in a $120k Maserati they'd just think I'm charging too much.

I guess it's largely a matter of perspective and I'm forcing myself to be more sensitive to the perspective of the person I'm talking to. But that's really hard when I'm geeked out with excitement.

- - - Updated - - -

That right there. A P85D is on display in downtown SF behind the Hyatt. My parents are in town and know of my intentions. I showed them that car (in the new blue, nice). They said "Aren't these expensive?". To which I agreed, mentioning that most Telsas they see in the media are this one, and cost about twice as much as a base one.
But the base is pretty friggin' great!

Let's not forget the OP here. Brilliant thread!
What has been bad about being about to order? I think about that more than anything else right now when I am not kneck deep in work...
Trust me, it's even worse after you've ordered but before it arrives. That's insufferable. Tesla you should ideally assign you a "Tesla buddy" during that period - kind of like an AA sponsor. Someone you can call when you're jonsing that will come pick you up and let you smell the interior of the car, play with the center console, teach you how things work, and maybe even drive a little. That's actually not a horrible idea....
tongue.gif

Last edited:
You can say they start at $52,000 with a semi-straight face. It requires you to bend the truth as much as the Tesla website does. :)

You can do that and even less in a CPO, so feel free to say it with a straight face!

- - - Updated - - -

Trust me, it's even worse after you've ordered but before it arrives. That's insufferable. Tesla you should ideally assign you a "Tesla buddy" during that period - kind of like an AA sponsor. Someone you can call when you're jonsing that will come pick you up and let you smell the interior of the car, play with the center console, teach you how things work, and maybe even drive a little. That's actually not a horrible idea....:tongue:

Totally! I was fortunate that a neighbor has a Pearl White S85. I got to bounce ideas off him and driving it was totally sublime. It wasn't long till I bought one and I was jonesing while waiting on it!

... Tesla you should ideally assign you a "Tesla buddy" during that period - kind of like an AA sponsor. Someone you can call when you're jonsing that will come pick you up and let you smell the interior of the car, play with the center console, teach you how things work, and maybe even drive a little. That's actually not a horrible idea....:tongue:
That might almost make sense! I am biased, as my deposit just went through a few hours ago... :wink:

Actually, I think Telsa is a good badge of "Silicon Valley Success." Since the body styles are all the same you can have a $100k+ car and many people don't know it - so it's understated in that regard. Plus, its super safe, very green, family friendly, tech savvy, and made right here in the USA - all points that any US car owner can appreciate.

I agree, I just meant that it is a bad place for criticism with all the people feeling pushed out of nice areas by people that make more money than they do.

Aaaaand now the sucky waiting beings. As an aside, please tell me you aren't going to park this beautiful vehicle on the streets of San Francisco.
No freaking way. That would be grounds for dismissal. And a beat-down by Elon himself.
I am lucky enough to be paying so much ransom money to my landlord that I have a small-ish garage space (measured, it will fit).

Tesla you should ideally assign you a "Tesla buddy" during that period - kind of like an AA sponsor. Someone you can call when you're jonsing that will come pick you up and let you smell the interior of the car, play with the center console, teach you how things work, and maybe even drive a little. That's actually not a horrible idea....

Haha! That's awesome. I'll be someone's Tesla Buddy.

I've tried to talk my salesman into a joint venture to sell more Teslas... we'd do a show-and-tell and I'd let people look at my car. He would bring a demo car as well. We could hit the local business park, go to an Angel Investors meeting, doctors, lawyers, businessmen and engineers.

I think a quick powerpoint and video followed by some hands-on and he would sell another 20 cars in a month. I would get 0 for this effort, except maybe my TSLA stock would go up a notch! :)

He's not interested... sadly...

I agree, I just meant that it is a bad place for criticism with all the people feeling pushed out of nice areas by people that make more money than they do.
Yeah, I hear ya. Income inequality is currently on steroids in the Bay Area, which has it's draw backs. On the flip side, this is what economic recovery looks like for our region. I don't think anyone would prefer to go back to 2008-2010. Every Tesla sold means more good paying jobs at Tesla right here in California, and that's super cool.

- - - Updated - - -

No freaking way. That would be grounds for dismissal. And a beat-down by Elon himself.
I am lucky enough to be paying so much ransom money to my landlord that I have a small-ish garage space (measured, it will fit).
Pfffew. I was worried we might have to stage an intervention.

And what a sight to see while it lasts.

The analogy keeps giving. The limiting factor for a cheetah is overheating -- no sweat glands, all cooling is by panting. Range improves at lower speeds.

There is one difference. Cheetah are loners. Model S like to get together.

Completely off-topic but I remember a National Geographic documentary explaining the differences between cheetahs and leopards (Night & Day was the title) and I'm pretty sure leopards were the loners and cheetahs lived in family groups. If that's so, the comparison is still matching perfectly!! (besides the fur).

Completely off-topic but I remember a National Geographic documentary explaining the differences between cheetahs and leopards (Night & Day was the title) and I'm pretty sure leopards were the loners and cheetahs lived in family groups. If that's so, the comparison is still matching perfectly!! (besides the fur).

My 8 year old daughter is fairly certain cheetahs are loners and leopards live in groups. She's the authority in this case.

I've tried to talk my salesman into a joint venture to sell more Teslas... we'd do a show-and-tell and I'd let people look at my car. He would bring a demo car as well. We could hit the local business park, go to an Angel Investors meeting, doctors, lawyers, businessmen and engineers.

I think a quick powerpoint and video followed by some hands-on and he would sell another 20 cars in a month. I would get 0 for this effort, except maybe my TSLA stock would go up a notch! :)

He's not interested... sadly...
My idea (patent pending) is for Tesla have a bunch of their employees drive used Teslas for Uber and Lyft. Imagine hiring an Uber and a Tesla rolls up. That'd be freakin' sweet and passengers would love it.

I went for a test drive with my wife and after looking at a variety of new and used cars ranging from $7k to $50k, this is the first car she has agreed that I get to replace my 15 yo economy sedan. She likes it so much that she wants to help pay for it even though she doesn't drive.

I mistook my sister for a test drive and instantly converted her to a tesla fan and now she's ready to make a deposit on the model 3 as soon as they start taking them.