Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Four reasons owning a Model S has been bad for me...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife made me go to therapy because of Tesla and I don't even own one! For the non-owners, I would add that knowing about Tesla and having test driven one Model S makes you single-themed in conversations and, especially in Spain where practically no one knows about Tesla or EV's, it makes you sad when they don't understand your hype about model x, model 3, powerwall, gigafactory, autopilot, ludicrous mode,... Thank God I found the best place to share my craziness :).

I agree about the single-themed conversations. The director over my department at work told me he should have a stopwatch to time how long it takes me to start talking about Tesla when he sees me.

Brian H on the Teslamotors forums said it best....

IMG_4844.jpg

I agree about the single-themed conversations. The director over my department at work told me he should have a stopwatch to time how long it takes me to start talking about Tesla when he sees me.
I share this problem. I've attempted to mitigate the phenomenon by trying very, very hard not to be the one who *initiates* the Tesla-related conversation. Because once it gets started, I'll go on forevah. The biggest challenge, honestly, is to avoid having my childlike excitement being interpreted as dooshy bragging. I try to play it cool and not get over-excited... but I fail more often than not. The best I can muster is to not be the person who starts the conversation... which is good because I rarely have to. :biggrin:

This is a danger... talking excited about your $100,000 car is universally viewed as doochy.

Today I was giving blood and the phlebotomists were asking what I did over the 3-day weekend. I told them I got a new car and I spent a lot of time learning about it and driving around. They immediately asked what kind it was.

No one in the entire office had ever heard of Tesla. So I tried to down-play it... "it's electric; no not hybrid, fully-electric; 270 mile range; superchargers are free." One girl got really excited... "I should get one of those! How much do they cost?"

I didn't know how to answer that and not be a douche... so I dodged it. Sigh...

I fully agree that the Model S channels the spirit of a cheetah. I am reminded of the comment of a friend while observing a cheetah on safari, "Doesn't she just look fast." So true, and with cat's eyes to match. All that is missing is some wicked incisors when opening the frunk.

BTW, my forum name is Swahili for... cheetah. :p

And a cheetah can't operate at top speed for very long...

And a cheetah can't operate at top speed for very long...

And what a sight to see while it lasts.

The analogy keeps giving. The limiting factor for a cheetah is overheating -- no sweat glands, all cooling is by panting. Range improves at lower speeds.

There is one difference. Cheetah are loners. Model S like to get together.

I didn't know how to answer that and not be a douche... so I dodged it. Sigh...

Yeah. Several people I know, even though they make 6 figures, don't want to spend more than about $12k-15k for a car. So I've gotten some criticism purely for buying it.

The other day I was getting dinner and the guy making my sandwich said something about my car and then said "those are really expensive, like $70k". I couldn't say anything, especially after he just finished telling me how excited he is that minimum wage is going up to $10/hr at the beginning of 2016.

It is definitely a first world problem, but sometimes I wish I could talk about my car more and not feel judged. Probably why I spend so much time on TMC now.

Yeah. Several people I know, even though they make 6 figures, don't want to spend more than about $12k-15k for a car. So I've gotten some criticism purely for buying it.

i explain that somewhere between year five and year eight it will cost about the same as if I had purchased a fully loaded Camry.

I've already planted the "seeds of deception" with my coworkers by saying that I'm looking for a "used" one and that I'll only buy if I get a "good deal." This is despite the fact that I'm not actually considering CPO because I live in Colorado and want the biggest tax rebate possible. Most of the folks I work with drive 5+ year old Hondas and such so this car isn't even in the same universe. All they know is that it's a "Doctor's car" based on how many docs they see with them so they know it's expensive.