TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Four reasons owning a Model S has been bad for me...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ozweepay, Sep 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I admire your restraint!

2. 21miDay

21miDay Member

I agree about the single-themed conversations. The director over my department at work told me he should have a stopwatch to time how long it takes me to start talking about Tesla when he sees me.

3. freds

freds Member

Ah we are now in the category that most airplane owners are in!!!

4. freds

freds Member

Oh one more reason! All the car commercials on TV are now just boring!!!

5. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

Though sometimes they are humorous when they talk about experiencing the right car or sales team!

6. laorient

laorient Member

I got a strange turn-on by this... :redface:

7. woof

woof Fluffy Member

I sense a new wiki thread coming soon: Why my Tesla is better than a [boy/girl] friend.

8. Pete90D

Pete90D Fan of Red Lights

I see two...

"You might be a Tesla owner if..."
    1. You ask yourself if your car is better than your significant other.

"Why my Tesla is better than my significant other"
    1. The car won't leave me when I ask this question.

:) :)

9. Tyl

Tyl Member

Brian H on the Teslamotors forums said it best....

IMG_4844.jpg

10. ozweepay

ozweepay Member

How about "Top 10 reasons a Tesla is better than a boyfriend/girlfriend."

There's a lot of potential here... things like "actually looks cool when handles stick out."

Or "only minimal foreplay required before you plug in and go to sleep."

Etc.

11. Pete90D

... I'm supposed to plug in every chance I get

12. yo mama

yo mama Supporting Member

I share this problem. I've attempted to mitigate the phenomenon by trying very, very hard not to be the one who *initiates* the Tesla-related conversation. Because once it gets started, I'll go on forevah. The biggest challenge, honestly, is to avoid having my childlike excitement being interpreted as dooshy bragging. I try to play it cool and not get over-excited... but I fail more often than not. The best I can muster is to not be the person who starts the conversation... which is good because I rarely have to. :biggrin:

13. ozweepay

ozweepay Member

This is a danger... talking excited about your $100,000 car is universally viewed as doochy.

Today I was giving blood and the phlebotomists were asking what I did over the 3-day weekend. I told them I got a new car and I spent a lot of time learning about it and driving around. They immediately asked what kind it was.

No one in the entire office had ever heard of Tesla. So I tried to down-play it... "it's electric; no not hybrid, fully-electric; 270 mile range; superchargers are free." One girl got really excited... "I should get one of those! How much do they cost?"

I didn't know how to answer that and not be a douche... so I dodged it. Sigh...

14. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Active Member

And a cheetah can't operate at top speed for very long...

15. Duma

Duma Member

And what a sight to see while it lasts.

The analogy keeps giving. The limiting factor for a cheetah is overheating -- no sweat glands, all cooling is by panting. Range improves at lower speeds.

There is one difference. Cheetah are loners. Model S like to get together.

16. vitaliy

vitaliy Member

This is so true! I have dreamed about Porsche 911, or S-Class Coupe, or BMW M4; but now all of those look so outdated... Beautiful & comfortable, but so outdated...

17. Pete90D

Yeah. Several people I know, even though they make 6 figures, don't want to spend more than about $12k-15k for a car. So I've gotten some criticism purely for buying it.

The other day I was getting dinner and the guy making my sandwich said something about my car and then said "those are really expensive, like $70k". I couldn't say anything, especially after he just finished telling me how excited he is that minimum wage is going up to $10/hr at the beginning of 2016.

It is definitely a first world problem, but sometimes I wish I could talk about my car more and not feel judged. Probably why I spend so much time on TMC now.

18. jerry33

jerry33 (S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20

i explain that somewhere between year five and year eight it will cost about the same as if I had purchased a fully loaded Camry.

19. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Dog Chauffeur

I've already planted the "seeds of deception" with my coworkers by saying that I'm looking for a "used" one and that I'll only buy if I get a "good deal." This is despite the fact that I'm not actually considering CPO because I live in Colorado and want the biggest tax rebate possible. Most of the folks I work with drive 5+ year old Hondas and such so this car isn't even in the same universe. All they know is that it's a "Doctor's car" based on how many docs they see with them so they know it's expensive.

20. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Sometimes when my wife goes into the garage to get something, she comes back and exclaims "We have a supercar in our garage!" almost 2 years later.