Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Four Rial Lugano 19" wheels bent in two weeks - are they up to the task?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
. I'm no expert but all the bent wheels I've seen in my day have been the result of major impact, typically blowing the tire or from a tire going flat. the way the bends have occurred on this thread seem very unusual.

I strongly disagree. I've had several bent rims over the last 30 years with no tire damage. And I've only had one tire damaged by a massive sink hole on the Tappan Zee bridge that destroyed the tire and rim beyond repair. There are just too many variables to say that the rims are defective, or can't carry the rated weight of the car, etc.

If TR does anything to ameliorate the issue, it will be to just get it off their plate, not because the rims are actually defective. Like I've said before, potholes and bent rims happen. Unless the rims are actually cracked and have evidence of defects, I really don't think there's anything to be done here, except oil the squeaky wheels, so to speak.

I strongly disagree. I've had several bent rims over the last 30 years with no tire damage. And I've only had one tire damaged by a massive sink hole on the Tappan Zee bridge that destroyed the tire and rim beyond repair. There are just too many variables to say that the rims are defective, or can't carry the rated weight of the car, etc.

If TR does anything to ameliorate the issue, it will be to just get it off their plate, not because the rims are actually defective. Like I've said before, potholes and bent rims happen. Unless the rims are actually cracked and have evidence of defects, I really don't think there's anything to be done here, except oil the squeaky wheels, so to speak.

I am not sure what is the relevance of "several bent rims over the last 30 years with no tire damage" for the situation with the Luganos. Your incidents were spread over thirty years, presumably with different wheels and on different cars. In the case with Luganos all 7 bent wheels where observed within 2-3 weeks, all with the same model of wheel, from the same manufacturer, on cars of the same model.

I have questioned guys at the tire shop I've been using for many years about the incidents of bent wheels and no damage to the tires. I was told that it happens some times, in about 20% of the cases, definitely not in the majority of the cases.

In my situation there were two separate incidents in the span of 8 days, with ALL four wheels bent without any damage to the tires and any signs that damaged wheels came in direct contact with the pavement before, during or after the incidents. All incidents happened when I was driving 30-35 mph.

To top the above off, another person (RainmakerJL) reported similar incident with another three wheels that were bent without damage to the associated tires, ironically three days after posting that he did not have any issues on notoriously bad NYC roads (Four Rial Lugano 19 wheels bent in two weeks - are they up to the task? - Page 7).

So here we have 3 separate reported cases in the span of 2-3 weeks with 100% of wheels that were bent without damage to the tires. This does not conclusively prove anything, but surely makes questioning the quality of these wheels very prudent.

I take offense to your remark about "squeaky wheel". As I posted before, I do not expect TR pay for the damaged wheels; I do expect them to address this issue with the manufacturer, so these wheels can be professionally tested and situation properly investigated, rather than, as you seem to suggest, all these incidents be dismissed as freaks of nature. If wheels are found defective, the manufacturer should step up and pay for the defective wheels. Dismissing this will not help any of the three parties involved: neither the consumers, nor the Tire Rack, nor the manufacturer.

As an update, I acknowledged the obvious and bought four 19" cyclone wheels from Tesla SC on last Thursday, took them to my tire shop and installed Blizzak LM60 that were removed from the Luganos on Tesla wheels; now very happy to be driving my Model S after suffering through the 10 days that I was using my old ICE car. The 4 damaged Luganos were picked up by UPS today and are en route to Tire Rack. Stay tuned for the updates.

Funny enough, and against any reasonable odds, I managed to hit a moderate pot hole while driving from the tire shop to home, at 65mph, with no damage to the Cyclones.

Of course, you have to hold your bent rims stats up against the hundreds(?) of RL rim sets that have been sold to MS drivers who didn't suffer any damage yet so far. Holding out a few isolated, similar cases isn't a coincidence or evidence of a widespread defect, it's confirmation bias (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias).

I do suspect you'll get a set of replacement RL rims, eventually. I also suspect that they will not admit any significant defect. IMHO.

Sometimes people have bad luck. Some people have really bad luck. It's like flipping a coin -- each coin flip is independent of all previous coin flips. If I flip a coin and get heads 10 times in a row, what are the changes my 11th flip will also be heads? It's still 50/50. After your first two bent rims, the chances of you bending the other two didn't go down. That's why I believe the rims have no defect and you just had some really, really, bad luck.

It's like a joke I like to tell.. Do you know the best way to essentially guarantee that there isn't a bomb on your plane? Bring a bomb with you, since the chances of there being one bomb on a plane is pretty small... the chances of there being TWO bombs is almost zero. :)

Of course, you have to hold your bent rims stats up against the hundreds(?) of RL rim sets that have been sold to MS drivers who didn't suffer any damage yet so far. Holding out a few isolated, similar cases isn't a coincidence or evidence of a widespread defect, it's confirmation bias (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias).

You are missing my point. I am not ascribing any statistical significance to the fact that 7 out of many Luganos were bent. What I am saying is that for 7 out of 7 failed wheels to be bent without any damage to the tires (all in three separate incidents within 3 weeks) statistically is not very likely. Under these circumstances assuming that something is wrong with these wheels is reasonable, while assuming "some really, really, bad luck" is not.

I do suspect you'll get a set of replacement RL rims, eventually. I also suspect that they will not admit any significant defect. IMHO.

Sometimes people have bad luck. Some people have really bad luck. It's like flipping a coin -- each coin flip is independent of all previous coin flips. If I flip a coin and get heads 10 times in a row, what are the changes my 11th flip will also be heads? It's still 50/50. After your first two bent rims, the chances of you bending the other two didn't go down. That's why I believe the rims have no defect and you just had some really, really, bad luck.

It's like a joke I like to tell.. Do you know the best way to essentially guarantee that there isn't a bomb on your plane? Bring a bomb with you, since the chances of there being one bomb on a plane is pretty small... the chances of there being TWO bombs is almost zero. :)

I don't see how this is confirmation bias. the majority of S owners stick with the OEM wheels and none of them have reported these kinds of failures with 4 out of 4 or 3 out of 4 wheels. we've heard of lots of curb rash and wheel damage with the 21's from direct impact, but I have not seen a single report of multiple OEM Tesla wheels bending without any kind of impact, particularly all 4 wheels. Actually, I am not aware of even a single wheel bending without impact, but even though I do keep up on the posts here pretty regularly, I wouldn't be surprised if it has happened and I either haven't seen it or it wasn't reported. statistically anything is possible I suppose, but it looks a lot like these wheels are not a good match for a heavy car like the S or there was a bad batch, I hope the later. Until I hear a decent explanation from Tire Rack or the manufacturer, I just don't feel responsible in recommending these wheels.

Last edited:
I don't see how this is confirmation bias. the majority of S owners stick with the OEM wheels and none of them have reported these kinds of failures with 4 out of 4 or 3 out of 4 wheels. we've heard of lots of curb rash and wheel damage with the 21's from direct impact, but I have not seen a single report of multiple OEM Tesla wheels bending without any kind of impact, particularly all 4 wheels. Actually, I am not aware of even a single wheel bending without impact, but even though I do keep up on the posts here pretty regularly, I wouldn't be surprised if it has happened and I either haven't seen it or it wasn't reported. statistically anything is possible I suppose, but it looks a lot like these wheels are not a good match for a heavy car like the S or there was a bad batch, I hope the later. Until I hear a decent explanation from Tire Rack or the manufacturer, I just don't feel responsible in recommending these wheels.

I'm fairly certain that none of the reported bent RL rims happened "without any kind of impact". But yes, I would agree that having four rims out of four bending without impact to be a very strange occurrence. I'm pretty sure that's not what's being reported here.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see how this is confirmation bias..

It's confirmation bias because vgrinshpun posted his experience with 4 bent rims, and one or two other people posted similar experiences with bent rims (in a thread specifically talking about it), and immediately used their experience to support his hypothesis. But while a few other people posted that they haven't had any problems with the rims, that info doesn't counter his hypothesis (rejecting conflicting data). So it's also being selective on exactly what data is being used to support a theory.

My original plan was to replace my stock 19s with these when the car arrives. This thread has encouraged me otherwise.

I agree with the above posters. This is not a case of confirmation bias, though it appears very much like one. The data set is a very small set. Yes, Rial Luganos are "heavily" used as MS aftermarket wheels, but what's the total installed number? This isn't about formulating an opinion, it's about failures per install on this particular vehicle. Ignoring the successful (read: non-bent) installations in favor of the ones that support our claim (bent) would be confirmation bias. Collecting data about a failing wheel and making a decision based on failures per install is not confirmation bias - it's at least a somewhat scientific approach.

Not sure why OP is expecting damaged tire when rim is bent
I've bent quite a few rims in the past 10 years
I've driven BMWs with low profile sport wheels and i only had one instance of damaged tire
Every time i had to order replacement for broken wheel was just a rim
Yes, NYC roads are beyond terrible, and they kill your wheels like no other, whether you riding winter or summer setup

I'm just hoping my Luganos will survive this winter or few more
19s should give me more protection than 21s

I've been driving on the Rials for 2 months now on New Jersey/New York pothole riddled roads with no problems. I was at the Tesla Service Center last week and asked if they've been repairing a lot of wheels with the way the roads are right now. They said yes, and that while they had been repairing mainly 21s, lately they've also been repairing a lot of stock 19s because the roads are so bad...I haven't really seen this reported on the forums, but it's definitely happening to the stock 19s too.

I've been driving on the Rials for 2 months now on New Jersey/New York pothole riddled roads with no problems. I was at the Tesla Service Center last week and asked if they've been repairing a lot of wheels with the way the roads are right now. They said yes, and that while they had been repairing mainly 21s, lately they've also been repairing a lot of stock 19s because the roads are so bad...I haven't really seen this reported on the forums, but it's definitely happening to the stock 19s too.

I was told by SC that 19" Cyclones are Tesla's most resilient wheels; they later clarified that they see more 19" standard stock wheels bent than the Cyclones.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure why OP is expecting damaged tire when rim is bent

I explained it here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...up-to-the-task?p=597695&viewfull=1#post597695

I've bent quite a few rims in the past 10 years
I've driven BMWs with low profile sport wheels and i only had one instance of damaged tire
Every time i had to order replacement for broken wheel was just a rim
Yes, NYC roads are beyond terrible, and they kill your wheels like no other, whether you riding winter or summer setup

How many is quite a few? Did your wheels come in direct contact with the pavement (i.e. tire completely bottomed out and allowed edge of the rim hit the road surface)? How many times?

Probably none?
Most of the incidents were with potholes on the highway at about 55-65mph driving straight
Some were 40-45mph on FDR in Manhattan
The thing is, most of the time there was no sign of damage, just deformation of entire wheel (e.g. oval shape) or lip bent
This is my stock Audi S6 OEM wheel that recently went through pothole
Never took it out for repair, not leaking any air fortunately
No scratches and Pirellies took the hit with no damage
audi_s6_img_3597.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat with mknox and dsm363. I have the 21's. I'm currently using the 19" Cyclones with Hakka R7 snow tires. I was planning on switching to the Rials with 19" Summer Performance tires when my 21's wear out. Specifically for lower energy use and less worry about damaging tires and wheels.
I'm mostly disappointed because though I don't hate the look of the Cyclones, I also don't like the looks. I love the looks of the RL's.
FWIW the manager at the Columbus Service Center recommended against the RL's and I listened for the snow tires. As the RL users seemed to pile up I decided to go with them for my Summer tires. Now I'm just not sure what to do.
Many friends have given me a hard time for paying so much for the Cyclones compared to non OEM rims like the RL's including the guy who mounted the tires.
Are the Cyclones just better wheels? I'd at least like to justify the cost. Though I DO wish Tesla would produce an OEM 19" Turbine that matches the 21's.
And yes, I have requested this.

I'm guessing Tesla will not do it because of the differentiation. I went with the RL's because the Cyclones still look like spoke wheels and that's not my thing.

The cost? That 5-letter name that begins with "T" and ends with "A" is the reason you're paying more. :)