Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Four Rial Lugano 19" wheels bent in two weeks - are they up to the task?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the same boat with mknox and dsm363.

Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Rials. They should be here in a couple of days and I'll get my local tire shop to mount my 19" Goodyears (which I removed last fall) on to them. The set was more than $1,000 less than the standard Tesla 19" rims, and I believe the Cyclones would have been even more. Tire Rack convinced me that they're not seeing any abnormal level of bent or damaged Rials compared to any other rim.

The cost? That 5-letter name that begins with "T" and ends with "A" is the reason you're paying more. :)

That's pretty much what I assumed at the time but the RL's were back ordered at the time and I wanted to put the snows on. But what about the supposed differences being discussed? Alloy vs Forged etc... No merit?

Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Rials.

Gutsy move Mav! :smile: Let us know how it goes please.

I think you will love them, MKnox! I am just a few weeks away from having to take mine off and put the standard 19s back on, and I am not looking forward to it. Gonna miss those mean-looking wheels!

Two of the four wheels showed up yesterday :confused: They were sent in two boxes and the other one says it's delayed due to severe weather (we did get a big winter storm). Weird that one box made it.

Anyway, they look great and unlike many here, they are going to be my summer wheels. I'm using the stock Tesla 19" wheels for my winter set. Shortly after I got my car, I scuffed two of the rims going through a car wash, so I figured they might as well end up on winter duty where they're likely to get more banged up than in in the summer.

That's pretty much what I assumed at the time but the RL's were back ordered at the time and I wanted to put the snows on. But what about the supposed differences being discussed? Alloy vs Forged etc... No merit?

There's some merit in construction differences, but I would guess that it's only a small portion of the price difference. We don't have all the details of the construction, so it's difficult for me to place a value on the differences.

Anyway, they look great and unlike many here, they are going to be my summer wheels.

My summer wheels too. In fact, my all year wheels as I'm in California.

I decided last night to pull the trigger. I figure they're relatively cheap so the risk is really just being caught out on a long distance trip. I do have concerns, as I've mentioned earlier, but I couldn't replicate the style elsewhere on 19s.

I'll try to update this thread one way or the other about the overall performance, including any road hazard mishaps.

The wheels were delivered today (no, I still don't have the MS). They look great. My big complaint is they were shipped OnTrac, which is awful in my neck of the woods. One bundled box of two wheels was crushed. The wheels, as far as I can tell, didn't sustain damage. I'll be able to see better once I get them on the car... hopefully next week.

The wheels were delivered today (no, I still don't have the MS). They look great. My big complaint is they were shipped OnTrac, which is awful in my neck of the woods. One bundled box of two wheels was crushed. The wheels, as far as I can tell, didn't sustain damage. I'll be able to see better once I get them on the car... hopefully next week.

How did we do ? Are the wheels OK ?

As an update, one of the four wheels was a bit out of true. As it happens, the wheel was the last one that had the tire moved onto it. Therefore, we will have to back out all of the tires onto the stock rims while we wait for Tire Rack to have Luganos back in stock (unfortunately, they are out of gunmetal until end of April). Tire Rack was very supportive, and if they'd had a wheel in stock, would have sent it immediately. They have also offered to pay the costs of moving tires back and forth. I'm impressed with the service at Tire Rack, but have to admit that I'm slightly concerned that this is related to the reported "softness" issues in this thread.

doc@tirerack was really helpful and I appreciate everything they're doing. No question Tire Rack is a top notch outfit. The only question in my head is about the Rials. I will have to sleep on it tonight, as I spent 3 hours in the wheel shop today with a very meticulous installer - not ready for another 3 hours just yet.

Last edited:
yeah, I've been holding off on buying a spare Rial because of these reports. I'm putting it off for a while longer to see if more reports of this come up and with the off hand chance that these came from a bad batch, I want the additional wheel to come from a fresh batch, one hopefully casted with extra scrutiny.

yeah, I've been holding off on buying a spare Rial because of these reports. I'm putting it off for a while longer to see if more reports of this come up and with the off hand chance that these came from a bad batch, I want the additional wheel to come from a fresh batch, one hopefully casted with extra scrutiny.

I've made my decision to go with aftermarket TSportline 19" turbines. Enough with these Rial's. The TSportline versions were designed specifically for the MS with an exact matching centerbore diameter, so no centering ring needed. That, TSportline's versions are 35mm offset, putting them out slightly more. I'm going to put 255/45ZR19s on them.

I do owe this thread a photo of my Pearl White car with the gunmetal Luganos. This was after initial installation - the car is filthy so please excuse the lack of staging, etc. I think they look really good.

photo 2.jpeg

May as well add a pic of mine too. This is also from installation, I just took them off and went back to the stock 19s with all seasons yesterday. Mine held up great through the winter and pot holes in New Jersey. I do really like the new 19" turbines from TSportline though, I would probably have gone with those had they been available when I purchased the Rials.

photo.JPG

I've made my decision to go with aftermarket TSportline 19" turbines. Enough with these Rial's. The TSportline versions were designed specifically for the MS with an exact matching centerbore diameter, so no centering ring needed. That, TSportline's versions are 35mm offset, putting them out slightly more. I'm going to put 255/45ZR19s on them.

Enough with these Rials? Why? Because a few people have some bad ones compared to the many that don't? You're going with a wheel made in China that is largely untested on any vehicle?

Enough with these Rials? Why? Because a few people have some bad ones compared to the many that don't? You're going with a wheel made in China that is largely untested on any vehicle?

And there's still no evidence supporting the Rials were "bad" to begin with. Two people had a few bent rims due to potholes, and that's reason enough for people to believe they're all flawed, or there was a "bad batch"? Seriously?

Until there's real proof that the Rials are "bad", I'm planning on buying a set in the fall for winter tires (and now due to youlikeadajuice's photo above, I can't decide between gunmetal or silver).