Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FPL Advertisement about EV charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure when they updated the site, but FPL has finally opened enrollment in the Panhandle/NWFL area they bought out from Gulf Power. I was able to enroll today, and it looks like the next step is getting a call from an electrician.

I got my charger installed this week, less than two weeks after enrolling. The tech that came out said it was the fourth install he's done so far. I didn't have to change my usual scheduled charging settings in my car, but the charger itself was not set to off peak only by default. Having a longer cable than my semi-permanebt Gen1 mobile charger install is nice. Pushing the button on the charger does unlock the charge port, so I can pull the adapter out with the 1772 wand as a single unit. They also sent a charger that matched what I had for a circuit and confirmed it again before install, so I'm getting the full 40a possible for my install.

So far, I'm happy. By my calculations, I'll be saving $60-80 a month after the $31 a month program charge.

I got my charger installed this week, less than two weeks after enrolling. The tech that came out said it was the fourth install he's done so far. I didn't have to change my usual scheduled charging settings in my car, but the charger itself was not set to off peak only by default. Having a longer cable than my semi-permanebt Gen1 mobile charger install is nice. Pushing the button on the charger does unlock the charge port, so I can pull the adapter out with the 1772 wand as a single unit. They also sent a charger that matched what I had for a circuit and confirmed it again before install, so I'm getting the full 40a possible for my install.

So far, I'm happy. By my calculations, I'll be saving $60-80 a month after the $31 a month program charge.
Wow that's a lot of driving every month

Did electrician leave old GEN1 240v outlet and power in place?

Reporting back: I've had this for a few months ($38, with FPL supplied charger, permitted, installed). Been working great. The off peak times are generous enough for me to keep my car charged, and according to my bill, I've calculated that I'm saving $10-20 a months. I still have my old plug so if I really wanted to do on peak charging, I could use my old charger (on peak with FPL is quite expensive, though I never needed it). The app doesn't really show much and my car's app doesn't provide much detail either, but I can see the speed and start and stop times. So I'm quite pleased.

Reactions: gnxs
Will they install their charger in place of a Tesla Wall Connector? I don't have an outlet, so was wondering if they would use that circuit (60A) instead of having another outlet installed ($38 instead of $31)
Worst case, you might need to remove the Tesla charger yourself first. I had a 14-50 outlet that they removed and reused the circuit to install the FPL-provided charger.

Will they install their charger in place of a Tesla Wall Connector? I don't have an outlet, so was wondering if they would use that circuit (60A) instead of having another outlet installed ($38 instead of $31)
The will remove the Tesla charger. But they won't use the outlet. They will change it to direct wire, and probably have to pull a permit for the change so you are looking at $38 vs $31.

BTW, I don't know how you have an outlet with 60A service. Outlets max out at 50A so something isn't correct.

If the Tesla wall connector is direct wired and was permitted, they will swap it and then you get $31/month. Just be sure to understand its a 10yr agreement with penalties if you stop sooner, and limited to 1 EV.

The will remove the Tesla charger. But they won't use the outlet. They will change it to direct wire, and probably have to pull a permit for the change so you are looking at $38 vs $31.

BTW, I don't know how you have an outlet with 60A service. Outlets max out at 50A so something isn't correct.

If the Tesla wall connector is direct wired and was permitted, they will swap it and then you get $31/month. Just be sure to understand its a 10yr agreement with penalties if you stop sooner, and limited to 1 EV.
It's not an outlet, the WC is hard wired in with a 60A breaker. When I filled out the survey, I just sent a picture of the wall connector. Guess I'll have to explain it to the electrician once they call me.

It's not an outlet, the WC is hard wired in with a 60A breaker. When I filled out the survey, I just sent a picture of the wall connector. Guess I'll have to explain it to the electrician once they call me.
If it was permitted originally, the will remove Tesla charger and replace it. Then its only $31/month unless it was never permitted, then they pull the permit and charge $38, I believe. It may be only 32A, at least it was at the start of the program. Let us know if its still 32A or they put in 48A/11kW ones now.

I declined the program due to the loss of power, ten year agreement and limit of 1 EV. I went TOU with 2 EVs which worked out better for me. Good Luck

Reactions: Magnus0322
We don't have TOU plans here (FPL got rid of it when they bought out Gulf Power). We have a tiered plan (cheaper rate if under 1000kwh used).
I would have to check, but I don't think the electrician who installed the charger pulled a permit, since it was all done in the same day.

You'll be OK. I had a hard wired Tesla wall charger on a 60A breaker and they removed the Tesla charger from the wall and installed the FPL one in it's place. They did make me change the 60A breaker down to a 50A breaker, but that's fine since the FPL charger maxes out at 40A.

I'm paying $31/month.

Reactions: HollywoodSX

The pulled my 14-50 outlet and hardwired in the FPL charger with no permit needed. All depends on where you live.

My FPL charger is 40A continuous on a 50A breaker, same as my Gen1 MC on a 14-50 was before that.

Reactions: golferguy
We don't have TOU plans here (FPL got rid of it when they bought out Gulf Power). We have a tiered plan (cheaper rate if under 1000kwh used).
I would have to check, but I don't think the electrician who installed the charger pulled a permit, since it was all done in the same day.
FPL does have a residential TOU they just make it very difficult and hidden. It took multiple calls over weeks to finally get on the plan for me