Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frame Failure called "Normal Wear and Tear" by Tesla Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im not sure about being improper installation. The cases we have seen the 2 tabs are cracked which is most apparent. However when we took a closer look we also saw there were 2 additional cracks in the frame where the weild was, and extended beyond.
They slightly bend my mount while installing the DU. 2 indy mechanic confirmed it. That mount should be straight up at 90 degree angle, mine was slightly bend to the right, which resulted in uneven tension distribution. Left side of the mount cracked first followed by right side. I believe P85D P90D and so on will never experienced this due to torque distribution between both axels, meanwhile our P85s gonna struggle with that rear thin mount holding those torque numbers!

Reactions: croman and rickyjb
I posted this an hour ago under the [URL="https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/3206111/"]Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues[/URL] #3117, but a general post about the service experience seems appropriate in light of Tesla's decision to not look at this from an engineering standpoint but rather to just deny goodwill, swap out the part and move on.

I hope I'm not the canary in the coal-mine, but my rear subframe sheared apart at the rear connection to the drive train. I do drive a lot, so my 2012 P85 is approaching 170,000. That said, I have never thought of frames as a "wear and tear" part. Nonetheless, Tesla service apparently does and decided that I should pay $2035 to have it replaced. I am beyond frustrated.

There was no collision, no bottoming out, no drama. I was just backing out of a parking spot and I hear THUNK THUNK THUNK. Upon diagnosis at the service center, I told them to explain the situation up the line and request the repair be done on a goodwill basis. I know my mileage is high, but this is not a water pump. It is a FRAME FAILURE. It is the structural skeleton of the car and it should not wear out. The stresses from the motor are known and the engineering should be correct on a part like this. There had to be some sort of materials defect or heaven forbid an engineering defect. Frames don't just break.

The only other idea that has come up is that they may have over-tightened the mount and created the stress when they swapped out the drive train a few months ago.

The only analogy I can find is the BMW E46 3 Series where the subframe was pulling against the unibody and causing cracks in the body. Guess what BMW did. Ten years of goodwill repairs regardless of mileage and design changes to stop the issue. In my case, they were just planning on sending the subframe off to recycling and moving on.

I would really appreciate any advise on how to proceed or get this escalated to someone who cares to take a considered approach.

Thanks,
Andy

You can see another view in the original link, but here is a closeup of wear the metal sheared away.
64jSUKn.jpg
Happened to me back in 2018. My 2013 Model S was just a few months out of warranty at the time. At first the SC said I was on the hook for the cost. I asked them just one simple question: “So, when is the subframe supposed to crack?” They realized they had no good answer for me and covered the cost.

Reactions: croman
i do not think tesla would of disclosed that to him.
If they did, then he should share it with these guys where tesla stated they revised the subframe, as it can be used as evidence in court that they acknowledged it as being bad, and revised it.
Having just inspected these same mounts on my March 2015 P85D subframe, one thing I can say is the welding and the shape of the the two top mounts are totally different on mine.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
They slightly bend my mount while installing the DU. 2 indy mechanic confirmed it. That mount should be straight up at 90 degree angle, mine was slightly bend to the right, which resulted in uneven tension distribution. Left side of the mount cracked first followed by right side. I believe P85D P90D and so on will never experienced this due to torque distribution between both axels, meanwhile our P85s gonna struggle with that rear thin mount holding those torque numbers!

Except that the P85D has just as much torque on the rear axel as the P85. The P85D makes WAY more torque down low combined which is why it can hit 0-60 in 3.1 seconds. The P85DL (like mine) makes even more torque on both axels.

I've just been told by Tesla Chelmsford (UK) service centre that my rear sub frame is cracked. My car is a 2014 P85. Drive unit (the 3rd one since 23,000 miles) was replaced in July. I have driven 5000 miles since then, so the car is up to 73,000 miles now.

It was all fine until last week, when I missed my turning on a country road. I braked hard (there was nothing behind me), came to a complete stop, put it in reverse, backed up about 40 feet, came to a complete stop again, put it in drive and then had this bang every so often from that point. I thought it was sloppy driveshafts, but it only made the bang in reverse. Tesla are now putting a quote together to fix it, as its not part of the drivetrain (go figure?), and apparently putting it into reverse before stopping can cause this. You can't actually put it in reverse while still moving , as the software stops that happening, so they are lying.
Looking at going legal with this, as I have all the time in the world, and will quite happily stand outside the Tesla showroom telling all the new potential customers about how Tesla really look after their customers. As an Engineer, I can see this is a piss poor design. The fact that it breaks with normal driving to so many of us just proves that.

Putting it in reverse before stopping is no different than reverse torque from regen braking. I toggle between forward and reverse in multiple point turns without ever touching the brake because it's a lot easier to transition back and fourth using the drive selector and just keeping my foot on the accelerator.

Does anyone know if Tesla would cover the rear sub frame since this appears to be an ongoing problem with so many other people. Mine broke a few days ago and the Tesla dealership is doing the replacement. Seems like they need to step up to the plate for this issue.

Does anyone know if Tesla would cover the rear sub frame since this appears to be an ongoing problem with so many other people. Mine broke a few days ago and the Tesla dealership is doing the replacement. Seems like they need to step up to the plate for this issue.
I'm only aware of a couple of people on this thread getting this replacement performed for free.
best of luck, let us know how it goes and would appreciate you posting a copy of the invoice.

you could try raising this thread with your service manager .

Occasional loud thump from back of the car while driving, and frequent thump while slowing down at stop sign or pulling into/out of garage

Thanks. This shouldn't be happening. Clearly a manufacturing defect that the customers end up paying for it. Any idea if the replacement parts are any better? How about the newer cars, have their sub-frames been redesigned to prevent this fracture?

Thanks. This shouldn't be happening. Clearly a manufacturing defect that the customers end up paying for it. Any idea if the replacement parts are any better? How about the newer cars, have their sub-frames been redesigned to prevent this fracture?
@mmmnnn posted in this thread (#132) that the new design has part # ending L vs. the replacement part# ending with E. No idea how long the replacement will hold, but it should come with Parts warranty which is 1 year or 12.5k miles.
I would ask how many miles does it take to wear the sub frame out It is BS that the sub frame is a wear item
yeah I did, response was “pay or take it to 3rd party shop”. I love all aspects of Tesla and TSLA, but, SERVICE S*CKS indeed.

@mmmnnn posted in this thread (#132) that the new design has part # ending L vs. the replacement part# ending with E. No idea how long the replacement will hold, but it should come with Parts warranty which is 1 year or 12.5k miles.

yeah I did, response was “pay or take it to 3rd party shop”. I love all aspects of Tesla and TSLA, but, SERVICE S*CKS indeed.
id take them up on the offer to take your business elsewhere , as long as you can find a place to do the work.

i try to keep my car away from tesla service since mine was replaced.