Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frame Failure called "Normal Wear and Tear" by Tesla Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a video that shows how Gruber repairs the subframe:

Also, note that they don't think it is a design issue. (Though they do improve on the design with their repair.)
At the quoted 5-7 hours of shop time to complete the repair, I can't see how it would be substantially cheaper than simply replacing the whole part.

I'm sure Gruber's shop rate is a little lower than Tesla's, but I doubt it's THAT much lower, ya know?

I wonder if they could do the same to all of the suspension mounting tabs that also seem to break.

At the quoted 5-7 hours of shop time to complete the repair, I can't see how it would be substantially cheaper than simply replacing the whole part.

I'm sure Gruber's shop rate is a little lower than Tesla's, but I doubt it's THAT much lower, ya know?

I wonder if they could do the same to all of the suspension mounting tabs that also seem to break.
The original part is a faulty design, the shops I spoke to reinforce the motor mount tabs which is the weak point

Reactions: Gixx1300R
Ok, thanks!

Really any decent welding shop could repair it, you just have to get someone to pull it, and then put it back. QC Charge in Vista, CA might be able to help.

@ajbessinger what kind of options do you guys have to help with a rear subframe issue?

Reactions: 2101Guy
Welp, this happened to me a few days ago...Looks like S85 failed again...hahaha...At 131,248 Miles...I was driving home from NY to MD and just after supercharging at Newark, DE supercharger, then while going 70 MPH in AP in the middle lane, the car did this crazy swerve as though a huge gust of wind hit the car from the left to the right lane. Almost ran into the next car over. Made it home luckily and found this mess. Oye.

Seems to me all Model S pre 2022 can and will experience rear subframe crack/breaking issues, only a matter of time.

cct5sbW.jpg

Welp, this happened to me a few days ago...Looks like S85 failed again...hahaha...At 131,248 Miles...I was driving home from NY to MD and just after supercharging at Newark, DE supercharger, then while going 70 MPH in AP in the middle lane, the car did this crazy swerve as though a huge gust of wind hit the car from the left to the right lane. Almost ran into the next car over. Made it home luckily and found this mess. Oye.

Seems to me all Model S pre 2022 can and will experience rear subframe crack/breaking issues, only a matter of time.

cct5sbW.jpg
I've seen you post about this in a number of threads, all of which, including this thread, are for a different failure. (Even if it is still part of the sub-frame.)

Reactions: xAgyex