Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frame Failure called "Normal Wear and Tear" by Tesla Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Gixx1300R On another note, may I ask if you have had any issues with your HV battery pack? The reason I ask is I also have a 2013 build Model S which was a 60 kWh pack until last August when it went haywire, literally, out of the blue throwing codes out like no tomorrow ultimate dieing in my driveway, awaiting an appointment for weeks to be towed to the Princeton SC to be told it needs a new HV pack. All in all, a month out of the 8 year warranty, that’s right one month.

Out the shop about 6 weeks or so later $12K for a 90 kWh C version pack software locked to 75 kWh.
I replaced my pack about 2 years ago. I upgraded from a 85 kWh pack to a 90 kWh pack for 8k.

Reactions: tmyl21
A word to the wise out there, as Joe Biden has been saying lately ‘Don’t’ supercharge unless absolutely necessary.

I supercharged all too often in the failed pack with maybe 75,000 miles on it. Never beat on the car, non-garaged (it may matter) many variables.

Ultimately it seems water ingress was the culprit and in my opinion, those A version packs which failed on me weren’t as tightly sealed as hopefully these newer C packs may be fingers crossed

@Gixx1300R On another note, may I ask if you have had any issues with your HV battery pack? The reason I ask is I also have a 2013 build Model S which was a 60 kWh pack until last August when it went haywire, literally, out of the blue throwing codes out like no tomorrow ultimate dieing in my driveway, awaiting an appointment for weeks to be towed to the Princeton SC to be told it needs a new HV pack. All in all, a month out of the 8 year warranty, that’s right one month.

Out the shop about 6 weeks or so later $12K for a 90 kWh C version pack software locked to 75 kWh.
Man Tesla keeps winning awards for excellent customer service. If you are gonna bend someone over for 12k out of warranty, maybe you should not software limit the pack 🙄( unbelievable)

A word to the wise out there, as Joe Biden has been saying lately ‘Don’t’ supercharge unless absolutely necessary.

I supercharged all too often in the failed pack with maybe 75,000 miles on it. Never beat on the car, non-garaged (it may matter) many variables.

Ultimately it seems water ingress was the culprit and in my opinion, those A version packs which failed on me weren’t as tightly sealed as hopefully these newer C packs may be fingers crossed
For every person that says supercharging is a problem another says they’ve supercharged x gazillion times with no issues. Conclusion- there is no evidence that frequent supercharging causes premature failure in hv packs due to Tesla’s (advanced?) BMS.

I have seen EV shops do repairs like this. It will not stop the motor mount from failing again and if Tesla replaces the subframe the same problem still exist.

Here is a picture of the motor mounts that an EV shop repaired (got it off of YouTube). From the red line upwards the mount can still crack. The red arrows are also a weak spot when the mounting holes are drilled. The blue vertical lines are the thin aluminum (about an 1/8th inch thick) that is being used.
thumbnail.png

Subframe failure is not normal wear and tear. It is a structural part of the frame that is designed to hold the motor and inverter in place.

Aggressive driving is an excuse that Tesla uses not to honor your warranty. Tell them to prove that aggressive driving is the cause and point them to the Magnuson Moss warranty act if your car is under warranty.

Reactions: advocate8
I cut an inspection hole in the trunk, purchased a Tig welder and welded it from there without dropping the subframe. Tack welded the plate that was cutout and used automotive seam sealer to waterproof the cutout area.
View attachment 983789
@Gixx1300R I commend you for doing this. Need more out of the box thinkers like yourself here. Thanks for sharing your knowledge...now I need to learn how to tig weld.

How is it holding up so far?

• Love
Reactions: Gixx1300R
Triangular gusset plates should be welded like this for maximum strength using 6061 or 7075 billet aluminum. A CNC machined piece would be a lot better and is something that I will look into making soon.

View attachment 983907

IMO, skip the aluminum and bolt on steel. Maybe even have it wrap around the subframe to spread the load.

IMG_1043.jpeg

Reactions: Gixx1300R
Such bracket could perhaps be just bolted around the subframe, without welding. Someone could easily sell such kit for 500.. It would still be a bargain compared to repacing the whole subframe.
That would require that the subframe to be removed for installation. The tangs on the subframe would have to be cut off and the welds removed down to a smooth surface. To CNC machine such a piece would be a lot more than $500.

@Gixx1300R I commend you for doing this. Need more out of the box thinkers like yourself here. Thanks for sharing your knowledge...now I need to learn how to tig weld.

How is it holding up so far?
Much thanks, It is holding up extremely well. I have put it through it paces with multiple hard braking, acceleration, go back and forth from reverse (to a full stop) and drive. no signs of movement. The welds aren't pretty, but they are holding up.

Nice but the tangs on this would still be the same and the original that are on the subframe. the same problem would exist.

View attachment 985138
Not if the steel tangs were over the stock aluminum ones. I don’t have an S to review, so I’m not sure if there is enough space. At the very least, a longer bolt would be needed to overcome the added thickness of the steel tangs.

Or, like you said, grind off the stock tangs then bolt steel.

For every person that says supercharging is a problem another says they’ve supercharged x gazillion times with no issues. Conclusion- there is no evidence that frequent supercharging causes premature failure in hv packs due to Tesla’s (advanced?) BMS.
You can add me to the “another says” list. I have over 240k miles in my 2015 85D with 40% supercharging. 11% battery degradation. I’m pretty happy with that. I never leave it sitting after charging to 90%.