Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free airport parking in Honolulu is back!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, spleen...I was not familiar with what was necessary to do so.

I was at the airport today and took a closer look at the charging station. It's a $7 flat rate to charge.

Ooh, excellent. I'm all in favor of having more paid chargers since it'll cut down on people charging just because they want free electricity vs people who really need the charge.

Thanks, spleen...I was not familiar with what was necessary to do so.

I was at the airport today and took a closer look at the charging station. It's a $7 flat rate to charge.

Gosh, I remember when you could fill an empty ICE vehicle's gas tank for less than $7. Any of you other kids remember those days? If that was true today, we would be driving EV's would we????

Well, I am not proud of it, but I remember gas wars back then. Gas was supposed to be about $. 31, and stations would sell it for $ .20 or $ .21 to gain visibility. People would drive from the neighbor county to buy it. Those wars would last one or two days. It was routine to top off your tank for $ 5.00.

Last edited:
@nanimac - I'm assuming the free benefit at Kukui is limited to a daily basis? Interesting, because if Kukui is free, then it means that potentially Alii Place and Harbor Court are free too. I might have to give the Alii Place parking office a call tomorrow....

@nanimac - I'm assuming the free benefit at Kukui is limited to a daily basis? Interesting, because if Kukui is free, then it means that potentially Alii Place and Harbor Court are free too. I might have to give the Alii Place parking office a call tomorrow....

Yes, daily basis at Kukui. I think someone on the forum mentioned that Alii Place doesn't honor free EV parking (can't recall why). My building is next door so let me know if you hear otherwise. Not sure about Harbor Court though.

nanimac:
Alii Place is privately owned. It offers 235 stalls at municipal rates as the condition to replace the original 235 municipal stalls that used to be there, but is not required to comply with Act 168 for free parking at state & county lots because it is private.
I didn't think that Harbor Court is gov't owned?
Kukui is City owned, right? Free parking all day? Wow! The parking staff at the City municipal bldg told me that EVs only get 3 hrs of free parking.
Anybody try the state Circuit Court parking garage?

From today's Kokua column

The state Department of Transportation no longer is charging electric vehicle owners for parking longer than 24 hours at a time at Honolulu Airport.
What that may mean for other state or county lots is not certain.
In the July 10 Kokua Line the department said the Legislature last year amended the law dealing with electric vehicle parking fees, allowing state airports to charge for parking beyond 24 hours. The department began doing so on July 1.
Shortly after, Honolulu resident Dale Podoll challenged the new charge on grounds that it conflicted with the law exempting vehicles with “EV” license plates from paying parking fees.
After consulting with the state Attorney General’s Office, the department told him last week that he would receive a refund. Podoll alerted Kokua Line to the reversal.
As we reported earlier, an electric vehicle, with an EV license plate, is allowed to park for free at state or county parking lots or metered stalls with these exceptions: while parked at a charging station; while parked for more than 21⁄2 hours at a meter or the maximum amount of time allowed, whichever is longer; while parked for longer than one 24-hour day, including under weekly, monthly or annual parking permits.
Transportation spokeswoman Caroline Sluyter had said that meant, “At the airport, electric vehicles get the first 24 hours free and then have to pay the regular rate.”
Asked about Podoll’s challenge, Sluyter said that after consulting with the Attorney General's office, the department was advised that the legislative intent was that electric vehicles should not be charged for parking in public lots.
“A refund will be issued through our parking concessionaire” and posted signs will be changed, Sluyter said.
She also said anyone else with an electric vehicle and a receipt showing the paid parking fees after the first 24 hours at Honolulu Airport also is entitled to a refund.
What that means for other state or county parking lots that offer long-term parking is not certain. Sluyter said the department had asked only for clarification regarding airport fees.
Asked about the opinion and its reach, a spokeswoman for the Attorney General’s Office deferred to the department, saying opinions are a matter of attorney-client privilege.

Gosh, I remember when you could fill an empty ICE vehicle's gas tank for less than $7. Any of you other kids remember those days? If that was true today, we would be driving EV's would we????

Greetings from sunny Florida!

As a teenager, I worked at the gas stations on the bases at Hckham AFB and Schofield Barracks. It was during the gas shortages in the mid 70's. I don't recall the prices, but I DO recall the lines of cars around the block, the pissed off customers whose tanks I couldn't fill if they already had more than a 1/2 tank, and the even more pissed off customers who could not buy more than 10 gallons at a time because of rationing.

Was called a haole many times over, and not in the good way!

Went to Leilihua HS my junior year, but graduated from Punahou. Haven't been back in many years, but hope to get over there soon!