Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free app for viewing TeslaCam and Sentry videos on your Android device

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone successfully used this on a Galaxy S10? When I plug in the card using the otg adaptor, I see the USB charging notification, but the app does not see the card. The My Files app does not see it either. I feel like I am missing a setting in the OS to enable external drives or something.

I'm using a S10 and have no problem. I do have the "Developper options" enabled but actually didn't change any specific parameter (USB debugging is disabled).

excited to try this on my OnePlus 6t

I just picked up an OTG cable for my OnePlus 5T and it doesn't see the drive :( But then I tried plugging in a couple of different drives and the 5T didn't see any 'removable drive', so I don't think it's the app. I might have to do further research in the OnePlus forums. Please let us know if you get yours working and if so, how.

r

Last edited:
The people who seem to have the most trouble getting the app to work are OnePlus users, but I've had several people tell me that they got it working after a little troubleshooting. I don't own one to test with unfortunately.

The OS is a branch of Android that requires OTG storage to be enabled each time you want to use it via a System setting, so that's step 1 at least.

Interesting issue that I will definitely work to resolve. The long-press is intended to open the selected video in whatever external media player is on your device that can play an MP4 video. Does it open the media player and then the player says "file not found" or do you see "file not found" inside of the TeslaCam / Sentry Reviewer app?

Interesting issue that I will definitely work to resolve. The long-press is intended to open the selected video in whatever external media player is on your device that can play an MP4 video. Does it open the media player and then the player says "file not found" or do you see "file not found" inside of the TeslaCam / Sentry Reviewer app?

Thanks again for the great app and resolving the minor issues.

Long press does nothing so on the screen where I long-pressed, I basically see a highlighted bit of text that just says the file was not found.

This is a great easy to use app. I have been using a dual USB flash drive that you can plug into the 3.0 in the car and it also has a usb-c for my phone so there is no adapter needed. I bought a 64gb and it haß more than enough space.
Here is a link for one for $14 https://m.newegg.com/sandisk-model-sdddc2-064g-g46-64gb/p/N82E16820173270?item=N82E16820173270&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-Mobile-_-pla-_-Memory (USB Flash Drive)-_-N82E16820173270&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=12920453&PID=7111873&SID=37170X963217Xcd14e55a6cb609333d44942cf160220f

Emphasis on "no adapter needed" mine. Is this the only way to avoid unplugging the TeslaCam drive? For me unplugging is more of a pain than bringing it in to my desktop. I can't seem to figure out how to unmount it properly, so it's hit or miss on being readable on my Mac. I tried my phone on the other USB port, but it only saw the car, not the other drive. Would a USB hub/splitter be the same?

Emphasis on "no adapter needed" mine. Is this the only way to avoid unplugging the TeslaCam drive? For me unplugging is more of a pain than bringing it in to my desktop. I can't seem to figure out how to unmount it properly, so it's hit or miss on being readable on my Mac. I tried my phone on the other USB port, but it only saw the car, not the other drive. Would a USB hub/splitter be the same?
It's only meant to plug in using one of the connectors at a time. You still have to unplug it from the car, you just don't have to use a separate adapter to plug it into the phone.

There is no way to unmount it properly. You long press the camera icon to shut down the recording operation, but that's not the same as unmounting. Every now and then you just need to plug it into a PC to run scandisk.

• Informative
Reactions: MXn00b

I'm having a really strange issue with my Galaxy Note 8 and an OTG adapter. It seems the App is able to access the files fine when the drive is mounted but after a few minute of use, the App loses the drive and at that point I can't even safely unplug the drive. I unfortunately corrupted a drive while then trying to unplug and plug the drive back in.

Have you looked into a different way to access the USB drive?

If it makes a difference, I also have a 250 GB Micro SD card in my Note 8 so the USB Flash drive is plugged in addition to that and I'm thinking there is perhaps some issue with the App trying to locate the TeslaCam folder in the Micro SD drive that is only used for my music.

The way the app currently accesses the USB drive is via Android's high-level storage access system, which should be the safest way of doing it, but it seems to have many device-specific quirks. I would hope that it's not possible for the app to corrupt a drive, but since it is leaving the actual hardware interfacing up to the Android operating system it's possible that there could be some weird bug at that end. I wouldn't have the power to fix that, though.

The app is sandboxed by the operating system so that it can only access files / drives that you explicitly permit it to access, so the app could not access your other SD card even if it tried. That's not to say that Samsung's version of Android does not have a bug in that area that could allow external storage paths to get mixed up. It's unlikely, but not impossible.

To get around the device-specific problems, I tried an alternative system where my app would directly read the USB storage at the hardware level, but it was less reliable and more likely to cause things like corruption so I decided against deploying it.

In any case, I think my brother has a Note 8 I should be able to borrow and test with, so I'll put that on my to-do list.

• Helpful
Reactions: DCEV
The way the app currently accesses the USB drive is via Android's high-level storage access system, which should be the safest way of doing it, but it seems to have many device-specific quirks. I would hope that it's not possible for the app to corrupt a drive, but since it is leaving the actual hardware interfacing up to the Android operating system it's possible that there could be some weird bug at that end. I wouldn't have the power to fix that, though.

The app is sandboxed by the operating system so that it can only access files / drives that you explicitly permit it to access, so the app could not access your other SD card even if it tried. That's not to say that Samsung's version of Android does not have a bug in that area that could allow external storage paths to get mixed up. It's unlikely, but not impossible.

To get around the device-specific problems, I tried an alternative system where my app would directly read the USB storage at the hardware level, but it was less reliable and more likely to cause things like corruption so I decided against deploying it.

In any case, I think my brother has a Note 8 I should be able to borrow and test with, so I'll put that on my to-do list.

Awesome. If possible, please try with a MicroSD card already in the Note 8.

I don't think it was your App that corrupted the drive but something happening with Samsung's software or Android in the Note 8.

I'm now scared to plug the drive in to review footage :( Still also having the issue where if I long press, the App tells me the file was not found so I can't see a larger version of the video.

If anyone was having trouble with videos in this app after upgrading their car to the 2019.24.4 firmware update, I just published an update last night that fixes the issue.

Also, I finally figured out the issue with OnePlus devices - the ES File explorer app that seems to ship with those devices blocks other apps from using the USB storage. If you just uninstall ES, the sentry reviewer app works fine on a OnePlus. There are plenty of other file managers that don't have the same issue that can replace ES.

Reactions: WolfHero and elf9