Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free EAP? Did anyone else get it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short.

Didn't want to pay 5K for EAP. I've driven about 200 miles now. While driving on freeway, just wanted cruise control and i found out my EAP worked. Been using it, it's been good!

I figure this was my gift for standing in line on 3/31 as I didn't get my toy car model 3.

They called and emailed me. "We mistakenly left Autopilot active in your Model 3. Would you like to keep it active? If not and you activate it after next week it will cost you extra."

Really? How long did that take them to find out?

And have they disabled it? Wondering if they can’t. And it’s just a empty threat.

I'd like to buy a vowel.

Specifically, the "E" in EAP, since mine seems to have gone missing - equally as specifically since I traded down from an AP1 car's perfectly functional AP to an AP2 car's not-yet-at-parity-to-this-day "E"AP.

With regard to Tesla being able to disable (not-E) AP, they certainly can remotely. I don't know if there's functionality in the Model 3 for the driver to disable remote access - but even if there is now/yet, I would imagine Tesla could easily get around that.

While it is certainly disturbing that not only did line waiters not get the "something special" referenced that very day, now many haven't gotten the scale model promised with their deliveries. All of that having been said, and while those mistakes remain uncorrected, it's a bit of a stretch to expect Tesla to not try to correct whatever they do choose to correct. Even if it's not to the owner's advantage, not surprisingly these days.

As an aside, my $0.02 is that even the poorer AP2 and certainly the AP1 functionality is quite literally worth the price of the car. Speed limit sign errors notwithstanding for AP2 (which doesn't currently react to camera reads of signs as does AP1), just the smoother TACC is head and shoulders better than the competition. Can't trust it for a minute, and must remain ever-vigilant - but even with that, it would be very difficult to go backwards to traditional cruise control and no lanekeeping or speed monitoring.

My response to those who say, "But I want to drive the car" is simply this: There are plenty of opportunities to let the car drive itself (editorial license taken) while still being able to drive the car during the more interesting moments.

Yeah, I know - first world and decidedly generational problems. But still.

It would be a smart move for Tesla to "ACCIDENTALLY" leave EAP activated on all Model 3 deliveries, even if they didn't order it. Then, a couple months later, after the owners get used to it, Tesla calls and says "Our bad, we left it on, we will deactivate it unless you'd like to keep it and come off with the extra 5 grand".

Tesla would get some sales from that, and make more money that they otherwise wouldn't have. And simply for changing zeroes to ones in the computers!

It would be a smart move for Tesla to "ACCIDENTALLY" leave EAP activated on all Model 3 deliveries, even if they didn't order it. Then, a couple months later, after the owners get used to it, Tesla calls and says "Our bad, we left it on, we will deactivate it unless you'd like to keep it and come off with the extra 5 grand".

Tesla would get some sales from that, and make more money that they otherwise wouldn't have. And simply for changing zeroes to ones in the computers!

I start to worry they will "accidentally" leave EAP on my car then..... I rather not to have it and save the $5k instead of try it for free for certain time and I get used to it. And they call and email saying I have to pay for it

They called and emailed me. "We mistakenly left Autopilot active in your Model 3. Would you like to keep it active? If not and you activate it after next week it will cost you extra."
Yeah, they can't do that. You ordered it without EAP. It's their problem that they gave it to you with EAP. They can remotely remove it, but they can't charge you just because you use it. You didn't sign an agreement that gave them the ability to charge you for use of a feature that you didn't buy, did you?

Yeah, they can't do that. You ordered it without EAP. It's their problem that they gave it to you with EAP. They can remotely remove it, but they can't charge you just because you use it. You didn't sign an agreement that gave them the ability to charge you for use of a feature that you didn't buy, did you?

Tesla is referring to the as-configured 5k price vs the after-purchase 6k price. Nothing shady there. OP can either pay the 5k to keep it, or they will disable it and it will cost the standard 6k to activate later.

Tesla is referring to the as-configured 5k price vs the after-purchase 6k price. Nothing shady there. OP can either pay the 5k to keep it, or they will disable it and it will cost the standard 6k to activate later.
Ah. By "activate" I thought the op meant "activate it from the car's drive shaft", not "call us to say you want us to activate it". Now that makes sense. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo