Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free premium Connectivity ending

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I emailed them last week chasing them up to see if they had an update for those that should get it free. I got an email from customer services to say nothing has changed you will have to pay unless you hear otherwise. I sent a strongly worded email back about how disappointed I was and the option that I may consider legal action due to miss selling the service.
I done the same and they have just sent me details of their legal/complaints department.

I done the same and they have just sent me details of their legal/complaints department.

But you ordered July iirc by which time the subscription was mentioned on the configurator spec list.

imho, the window of valid claims under "The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations" [link to Which? article] is when configurator opened on May 1st 2019 and some point later that month when the mention of subscription was added. This period obviously covers many early orders and reservation holders so likely to be a significant number. imho, the lack of mention that it was a limited period subscription falls under the above link articles "Misleading Omissions" section. But I'm not a lawyer so just my interpretation.

So.... I’m paying for Spotify premium (it’s in my phone plan) & have logged into it in the car. Sounds fine to me but I also don’t hear any rattles in my car so perhaps not as attentive as many of you!

are you guys getting free Spotify during the year of free connectivity? Or beyond with the £9.99 a month? Have I missed a trick here?! Usually pretty observant on ways to save money but I feel I’ve missed something here!

are you guys getting free Spotify during the year of free connectivity? Or beyond with the £9.99 a month? Have I missed a trick here?! Usually pretty observant on ways to save money but I feel I’ve missed something here!

I interpret from table below that spotify remains free even without premium connectivity but requires wifi [hotspot] for the data.

Screenshot_2020-09-12-08-33-44-68_e307a3f9df9f380ebaf106e1dc980bb6.jpg

Have still got a few days of premium myself so havent tested it yet!

But you ordered July iirc by which time the subscription was mentioned on the configurator spec list.

imho, the window of valid claims under "The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations" [link to Which? article] is when configurator opened on May 1st 2019 and some point later that month when the mention of subscription was added. This period obviously covers many early orders and reservation holders so likely to be a significant number. imho, the lack of mention that it was a limited period subscription falls under the above link articles "Misleading Omissions" section. But I'm not a lawyer so just my interpretation.

Ordered 1week of July and this changed after that and the price also wasn't released until this year I think.
Wayback Machine

Emailed Tesla Cust Service for an update and got the following response - basically nothing has changed regarding this:

“Thanks for your patience here, we realise it has been sometime without an update. This is currently with our senior leadership team in the US and you will be informed on any changes that are made. But, currently, Tesla have not changed their position and so, unless we inform you otherwise, you will need to subscribe to maintain Premium Connectivity.

We realise that you will not welcome this feedback and would like to assure you that this is being provided as feedback from yourself and multiple equivalent owners. We will come back to you with additional information, once it is available.

Thanks again for your patience.”

I love the last line - like I have a choice! But I’m getting used to Tesla time....

I interpret from table below that spotify remains free even without premium connectivity but requires wifi [hotspot] for the data.

If you don’t have Premium Connectivity then the Spotify app will be there BUT will require you to log in with your own credentials. It doesn’t give you the “free” Tesla version. It was this way for SR+ owners for a couple of months between getting v10 and the launch of premium connectivity here in the UK. Prior to v10, we didn’t even have access to the Spotify app!!

Reactions: tj333
If you don’t have Premium Connectivity then the Spotify app will be there BUT will require you to log in with your own credentials. It doesn’t give you the “free” Tesla version. It was this way for SR+ owners for a couple of months between getting v10 and the launch of premium connectivity here in the UK. Prior to v10, we didn’t even have access to the Spotify app!!

Thanks for this, i hadn't realised that before but makes sense. Hmmm, need to think harder now on whether to cough up the £9.99/month!

Mine still lets me use the Tesla version when I have a hotspot enabled

Emailed Tesla Cust Service for an update and got the following response - basically nothing has changed regarding this:

Thanks for your patience here, we realise it has been sometime without an update. This is currently with our senior leadership team in the US and you will be informed on any changes that are made. But, currently, Tesla have not changed their position and so, unless we inform you otherwise, you will need to subscribe to maintain Premium Connectivity.

We realise that you will not welcome this feedback and would like to assure you that this is being provided as feedback from yourself and multiple equivalent owners. We will come back to you with additional information, once it is available.

Just got some of this too. Now they have communicated their position to me, I'll probably start asking some consumer bodies what their view is, especially regarding "The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations" legislation.

Last edited:
I've just received the same delay info -

Thanks for your patience here, we realise it has been sometime without an update. This is currently with our senior leadership team in the US and you will be informed on any changes that are made. But, currently, Tesla have not changed their position and so, unless we inform you otherwise, you will need to subscribe to maintain Premium Connectivity.
Thanks again for your patience. Josh Customer Service UK and Ireland

I wonder how many are affected by this?

I don’t know how much it helps - but I ordered & extensively researched my Tesla at end of june and all the info was definitely there then about the limits / just to help with time scales of when things were updated on website, as I saw some mentions of early July orders.

I only know because I couldn’t fathom the difference between premium and partial premium interior so studied it a good bit! Wasted effort as once decided long range it became irrelevant As only one interior!

Just got some of this too. Now they have communicated their position to me, I'll probably start asking some consumer bodies what their view is, especially regarding "The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations" legislation.
Hi

I agree. Tesla are trying to delay things and hope we go away. We all need to take it to the next level and start contacting consumer bodies, regulators, trading standards and possibly the small claims court to get them to take things seriously. Australia and New Zealand won their battle as they also were miss sold premium connectivity and eventually Tesla agreed to give it free to those that ordered before they changed the wording.

The more action that we can all take the better chance we have.

Reactions: CMc1 and MrBadger
So we’re saying there’s probably 1?to 3? thousand owners that might meet the criteria:

• UK cars;
  • *Ordered* (not Reserved) in May or June 2019;
  • LR or P Only;
Probably too small beer for the no win no fee investors.

If you meet the above criteria and bought directly from Tesla, start filling in your forms: MCOL - Money Claim Online - Welcome one of you could even do a template. A handful of these and Tesla will soon look up. If I didn’t have an SR+ I’d be filling it in now.

Lease car owners I’d formally complain to the lease company - they’ll come to a decision much quicker and add some clout to discussion wish the Tesla leadership team.

Am I missing something or are LR/P owners that ordered after the cutoff date stumping up £1000 for a year of £9.99 a month connected services, when you break it down ? What else do you get for that. Some mats and some fog lamps ? What else ?