Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have this for a fact or hearsay? I've seen lots of 'According to...', but never a Tesla statement. I only ask because it's something I am interested in.

No mention of need premium connectivity to use this feature. I don’t have premium connectivity and have this setting available.

Worth it for me.

I don't have to bother with tethering my phone to get the same features, which means I don't need to upgrade my phone plan. Plus, tethering all the time puts a lot of pressure on my phone battery which is already degraded enough as it is.
I like and prefer satellite view.
I stream all music on my Spotify account (and I listen to A LOT of music).
I watch plenty of YouTube/Netflix when waiting for my partner to finish all her numerous shopping trips.
Living in London, live traffic visualisations and routing is a must. I know many a back-road/shortcut now thanks to seeing where the traffic is backed up and figuring out other ways round.
Live view - don't use it often but it's a nice to have when I do.

Do what works for you for the price/convenience. I make up the £10 by not having to commute to work every day (that's the justification I made up for myself anyway!).

Living in London, live traffic visualisations and routing is a must.

Just to point out: standard connectivity still gets the traffic rerouting, just not the traffic visualisations. Also, if your phone and your car do wireless charging, the phone battery isn't really an issue.

For me, the benefits are:
  • Satellite view
  • Traffic visualisations
  • Not having the faff of tethering when I want to stream music - although mainly I listed to radio - or when I occasionally want to watch Netflix
  • Being able to use Spotify without having to have a Spotify account was also a plus when I first subscribed - although currently I'm using Tidal

Last edited:
In my case, premium connectivity is not worth it. I don't need a satellite view and already have my own family Spotify subscription.

I believe the route planner does take into account live traffic information, I just can't see it. For example, saw a build-up of traffic at M1 by Meadowhall, Sheffield last week. The car rerouted me around the lane closure, I even checked the same route on Google Maps to verify.

My phone is android, and using Tasker, it's now automated to turn on WiFi hotspot when it is connected to the car's Bluetooth. Then off again when disconnected from the car's Bluetooth. The car automatically switches from my home WiFi to the portable Wifi from my phone. So there's no additional faff before driving off.

I'm essentially paying myself £10 each month for what was about 10 minutes of set-up time. Money for other expensive hobbies, like Warhammer 40k, drones and 3D printing...:rolleyes:

Just to point out: standard connectivity still gets the traffic rerouting, just not the traffic visualisations. Also, if your phone and your car do wireless charging, the phone battery isn't really an issue.
Oh for sure re. rerouting. Traffic visualisations are for when I'm not plugging in a destination and just need to know to avoid certain clogged arteries. The other plus side is I'm getting Black Cab level knowledge of my local area!

Re. battery - I actually thought it's because it's always passing data through so it's always using power. As it's getting charged, and using power a lot at the same time, it heats up the batter massively and then contributes to degradation? I don't know enough about it but that's what my intuition is saying (which is often wrong as we all know!).

Traffic visualisations are for when I'm not plugging in a destination

FWIW I put in destination even on routine short trips - I eman, I've got the Tech installed, right? :). Although road-blocked from accident or similar is rare its a right royal pain when it happens ... and I'm happy that Car / Waze / etc. just routes me whatever it thinks is best.

If it does route an unusual way I would then need traffic visualisation to confirm where the problem is - and that there is a problem!

That said, unless the route is dual carriageway I could turn around if I go into t tailback ... but then I've got retrace-steps time to add to my journey

Reactions: QuanTim
I have android auto for tesla... jesus, waze is soooooooo much better than tesla in house navigation, that I would do almost anything to get it native.

but I know it will not gonna happen. tesla loves my data and they will not share it with google.

however, on the side note, I covered internal camera lense. just for the lols.

I would do almost anything to get it native

I've never found the need to have it native. I have dashboard SatNav on maps-only (voice muted), and get voice instructions from Waze on phone. I also don't see it anything like as black and white as that :

The car knows about Supercharger locations and so on, whereas Waze will happily route me the wrong / long way round the M25 to avoid traffic on the Dartford crossing - which would in practice require a significant stop for charging. There are other EV-specific things that car Satnav is doing which Waze isn't (as yet)

I've never found the need to have it native. I have dashboard SatNav on maps-only (voice muted), and get voice instructions from Waze on phone. I also don't see it anything like as black and white as that :

The car knows about Supercharger locations and so on, whereas Waze will happily route me the wrong / long way round the M25 to avoid traffic on the Dartford crossing - which would in practice require a significant stop for charging. There are other EV-specific things that car Satnav is doing which Waze isn't (as yet)
I do that the same. BUT - sometimes waze guides me via better route due to traffic than tesla's google sat nav.. although both are actually owned by same google...

Reactions: WannabeOwner
with an iphone you can automatically create a hotspot connection and discountation.
As long as your car is in park, as soon as your iphone connects via bluetooth, it will create a hotspot.

Then you have everything from premium connectivty except for Satelite image and traffic visualisation (you still get real-time traffic routing).

instructions in this video

with an iphone you can automatically create a hotspot connection and discountation.
As long as your car is in park, as soon as your iphone connects via bluetooth, it will create a hotspot.

Then you have everything from premium connectivty except for Satelite image and traffic visualisation (you still get real-time traffic routing).

instructions in this video
You can do that with Android too using MacroDroid which starts the phone hotspot as soon as Bluetooth connects to the car.

The main issue is the car not turning WiFi on for every drive. I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to go into the WiFi settings and turn it on myself.

It may well put strain on other components, but if the battery is sitting at a constant 100% in the charging dock, then pretty much by definition no significant current is flowing either into or out of the battery.
Having a battery with the chemistry in most mobile phones sat at 100% is not good for it, the least damage is at 50% (80-90% is not too bad, which is why it is recommended to limit charge to within that range…. And iPhone implemented the charge to 80% and then predict when you will wake up to finish the charge to 100% in order to minimise the time spent at 100%)

Another AI thing that doesn’t reliably work. Just give me a manual charge limit and I’ll manage it better myself.

Looks like both an optimised and 80% option is available on iPhone 15 but even though my iPhone 13 is running same iOS 17, it’s unfortunately not an offered option for me as optimised charging simply does not work properly for my usage patterns so 80% would be great benefit.

Looks like both an optimised and 80% option is available on iPhone 15 but even though my iPhone 13 is running same iOS 17, it’s unfortunately not an offered option for me as optimised charging simply does not work properly for my usage patterns so 80% would be great benefit.
Only available with the new hardware, which seems unnecessary as you would expect it to be implemented in software that any phone could do and isn’t really a feature that is going to convince someone to upgrade.

Reactions: MrBadger