Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car can link to a phone wifi hotspot (all phones do it). Alternatively you can just be connected to the car via Bluetooth and listen to music from your phone on the car, of course.
I should clarify: I am wondering it Tesla supports Bluetooth tethering vs WIFI tethering
If it does then I don't have to turn on my hotspot each time i enter the car, or at least that's what i think Bluetooth tethering should overcome.

Had it for the first 5 years of Tesla ownership when it was free, when I changed to the M3 I didn't bother and can't say I miss it. The only feature I'd like a tiny bit os the live traffic display, but it's not worth £10 in my situation.

You'll hear some say its only the price of a couple of coffees.. but I'm sure some of those same people also drive miles to find a free charger to save £5 and moan like crazy when they are blocked.

Reactions: Andrew_SE23
The live traffic is useful, but does it have intelligent routing like Waze provides? I like using Waze, and its dynamic re-routing feature has helped me a few times to avoid a traffic jam. So, it is annoying that the Tesla does not support Apple CarPlay so I can use that for general navigation.

The live traffic is useful, but does it have intelligent routing like Waze provides? I like using Waze, and its dynamic re-routing feature has helped me a few times to avoid a traffic jam. So, it is annoying that the Tesla does not support Apple CarPlay so I can use that for general navigation.
It does do traffic based routing but it does that regardless of premium connectivity. What’s more, it uses a different data source for traffic routing than what it would display on the screen with premium, so there can be a mismatch

If you can’t afford ~£2.50 a week, you can‘t really afford a £60,000 car.
It does do traffic based routing but it does that regardless of premium connectivity. What’s more, it uses a different data source for traffic routing than what it would display on the screen with premium, so there can be a mismatch
Do you have this for a fact or hearsay? I've seen lots of 'According to...', but never a Tesla statement. I only ask because it's something I am interested in.

The only feature I'd like a tiny bit os the live traffic display

Would you use Waze / similar instead, to get that functionality? (Personally I think Waze traffic knowledge has a better data source, but ... YMMV (literally!)

Its the number of places that want £10-a-month from us all ...

I have found TV streaming to be very good when requiring to wait in the car for periods of time. The detailed photoreal mapping also adds quite a bit to understanding an unfamiliar location. Seeing live traffic ahead has also been of use when trying to judge if the navigation is losing the plot or if it is actually trying to reroute around a temporary incident!

In a world where you can have 100GB of mobile data for £12 a month and tether your phone to the car, I doubt it’ll ever be truly worth it unless you value the convenience. (Sorry Americans, I know you get massively ripped off for cellphone contracts!)

Seeing live traffic ahead has also been of use when trying to judge if the navigation is losing the plot or if it is actually trying to reroute around a temporary incident!

Some years ago I drove into central London. I was running late ... time was tight ...

SatNav route showed 3-sides-of-a-square approaching Embankment. I thought "that's nuts" and went straight on ... ETA immediately added 20 minutes :(

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
I’ve not bothered for a while and its fine. Sometimes the tethering can be hit or miss but if I’m just going somewhere short I’ll survive with the radio.

I have apple music at home so now its in the car its handy to tether. I have a shortcut set up to automatically turn on the mobile hotspot when I connect to the car’s bluetooth (well it prompts me at least - I have to unlock the phone and press the notification but close enough)

I rarely use in car OTA streaming of any form (and if I do I’ve probably downloaded the Tidal tracks) and used sat maps a couple of times to locate final destination, eg supercharger within a car park.

I do like live traffic visualisation, but only if the nav route doesn’t seem to be what I would expect or end up in a tailback to see how long the queue is.

I originally had premium connectivity for life, but then lost it. It was useful enough (and principle) to complain to Tesla to get it reinstated which they did but not to pay £10/m to have if they hadn’t. I could afford a garage full of Ferraris if I could see enough benefit in having them, but I don’t and same goes for Premium Connectivity.

Do I wish I could jump in a Ferrari and go for a good drive once in a while, probably. If I didn’t have ‘live’ traffic visualisations would I wish I did once in a while, yes. Do I wish for OTA streaming, nope.

I’m glad I still have ‘live’ traffic visualisations, but like not having a garage full of Ferraris, I have other alternatives to meet my 90% of my needs not to need to splash the cash on them. Although if PC was £100/year annual payment I might.

Do you have this for a fact or hearsay? I've seen lots of 'According to...', but never a Tesla statement. I only ask because it's something I am interested in.
I'd struggle to find it written but it's been a well established thing for many years, of course Tesla may have changed it I guess but its certainly still my understanding.

It became a hot topic for a while a few years ago because the Sat Nav would route you through a road clearly shown as blocked or closed on the google map which was frustrating, but what appeared even more perculiar was the sat nav would route you off the motorway on some wild diversion when google maps showed the road was clear. Those better placed than I investigated these things and found the disparity in the data sources for traffic info and two were in use. I think in general they're all much better now so you see the odd ball routing less often.

It's certainly seems to be the case that you get traffic info for routing regardless as I've been rerouted before now and I don;t have premium

Would you use Waze / similar instead, to get that functionality? (Personally I think Waze traffic knowledge has a better data source, but ... YMMV (literally!)
In our BMW I increasingly use Waze. The only downside in that car is the instructions don't get passed to the head up display like they do with the native system and apple maps via carplay.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I tended to pay for it more when i had an iPhone. Am using Android at the moment and just use an auto hotspot app that enables the hotspot on my phone when it connects to the Teslas bluetooth - job done.

I think I've used Live Sentry cam once when I abandoned my car in a gridlocked car park, to see if the traffic had died down, but even then I went over the days allowance so it stopped working.

I can do everything else from my phone, totally no reason for me to be paying for it.

£120 per year is a pittance now days with leccy bills etc where they are.. + the amount your cars are depreceating each month is more to worry about :)

No service costs on Tesla means a saving of 4-600 quid a year. Home charging savings compared to running ICE cars..... more savings..

Tethering the phone loses a lot of things for me and its a pain in the but so I subscribe.