Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Supercharging removed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For my new to me 2017 Model X the vehicle spec reads it has supercharging. i read up the forums online and Tesla has mentioned that supercharging will transfer with the car. This free supercharging was a big reason to pickup this particular car over others..

I also got this information confirmed by calling the CS and visiting the local SC prior to purchase and was told that supercharging is transferable and will stay with the car..

1 month later the site now reads that i have pay per use supercharging ! i called CS and SC and they are telling me now that Tesla changed it policy !

my question is, if the free supercharging is in the original purchase agreement, can it be taken off ?

You haven't indicated from whom you purchased the vehicle. I don't think they could retroactively change that offering if it had been included as transferrable when the vehicle was new until/unless the vehicle became their property again (so if you bought it from Tesla after they made such a change, then yes, it could be taken off). However, AFAIK, FUSC (free unlimited supercharging) for the life of vehicles across owners was terminated prior to 2017. IOW, the purchase agreement may have been indicating FUSC only for the initial owner, and you may have asked the CS and SC the wrong question. This assumes you bought from a third party, because then they may have assumed you were purchasing a 2016 X that was old enough to have the transferrable variant.

Reactions: MP3Mike
i purchas
You haven't indicated from whom you purchased the vehicle. I don't think they could retroactively change that offering if it had been included as transferrable when the vehicle was new until/unless the vehicle became their property again (so if you bought it from Tesla after they made such a change, then yes, it could be taken off). However, AFAIK, FUSC (free unlimited supercharging) for the life of vehicles across owners was terminated prior to 2017. IOW, the purchase agreement may have been indicating FUSC only for the initial owner, and you may have asked the CS and SC the wrong question. This assumes you bought from a third party, because then they may have assumed you were purchasing a 2016 X that was old enough to have the transferrable variant.

I purchased the vehicle from a car dealer (Not Tesla).. When checking about the transfer option, i provided the Vin of the car to CS and SC and they looked it up, reached out to a supervisor and then told me i would get supercharging..

How can i get a copy of the intial purchase agreement ? i have the final page that shows accessories and cost and that page has free supercharging mentioned.. nothing about it being only for first owner..

mid jan 2017 and earlier only get transferable unlimited supercharging that stays with the car (as long as you didn't purchase direct from Tesla)

This car is Feb 2017. The dealer who sold me the car, told me the equipment on the car included supercharging. the document he gave me mentioned that it was free for life..

Tesla CS and its physical SC confirmed this with the Vin.. so now, who would i hold responsible for this :(

mid jan 2017 and earlier only get transferable unlimited supercharging that stays with the car (as long as you didn't purchase direct from Tesla)

Tesla changes its policy very often.

As long as you seal in the deal by buying it from Tesla, you are good even if there are changes after the deal.

Officially, Tesla dropped Free Unlimited Supercharging as of 1/1/2017

Tesla Just Killed Free Supercharging—And That's a Good Sign

However, Tesla did grandfather for some who bought after that date but it's only good for original owners and not transferrable.

This is what I got for missing the deadline (non-transferrable):

rMxXT9M.jpg

I agree with @Fossil Fool , you bought it from non-Tesla Dealer so you have to deal with them.

My guess was that the non-Tesla Dealer only guesses but wouldn't be able to produce any document that says it stays with the VIN and is unaffected by a non-Tesla commercial sales.

Tesla changes its policy very often.

As long as you seal in the deal by buying it from Tesla, you are good even if there are changes after the deal.

Officially, Tesla dropped Free Unlimited Supercharging as of 1/1/2017

Tesla Just Killed Free Supercharging—And That's a Good Sign

However, Tesla did grandfather for some who bought after that date but it's only good for original owners and not transferrable.

This is what I got for missing the deadline (non-transferrable):

rMxXT9M.jpg

I agree with @Fossil Fool , you bought it from non-Tesla Dealer so you have to deal with them.

My guess was that the non-Tesla Dealer only guesses but wouldn't be able to produce any document that says it stays with the VIN and is unaffected by a non-Tesla commercial sales.

While it’s sad and i somehow feel cheated, I guess I should have done more research.

I’ll try the small courts option. I sent a note to customer service asking if they can share a copy of the service agreement that the original owner signed that says it’s non transferable. I know it’s a long shot . But hoping ! Fingers crossed

You should probably try to get an estimate of how much FUSC is worth to you. That will depend on how much you drive, how much is on the road as opposed to around home, whether you have charging at home, how much electricity costs etc. I find FUSC would be worth about $100 a year to me. I don't know if that's representative or not but I wouldn't expend much effort in trying to obtain such a small benefit.

In my case, Supercharging saves me about $50/week on average. Since I've had the car a few months now, I can definitely say that free Supercharging is absolutely beneficial. So, I could be looking at a Supercharging value point of nearly $3k/year. If I keep the X for 10 years, which is the current plan, I would estimate the value for charging to be about $30k.

Everyone's charging habits vary. I can't charge at home because my electric rates are ridiculously high (if I charge, I'll be hitting roughly $0.46/kWh as I'll be bumped into the next tier), and therefore, I take advantage of the free Supercharging near my house a couple of times a week on average (to the annoyance of my wife).

In my case, Supercharging saves me about $50/week on average. Since I've had the car a few months now, I can definitely say that free Supercharging is absolutely beneficial. So, I could be looking at a Supercharging value point of nearly $3k/year. If I keep the X for 10 years, which is the current plan, I would estimate the value for charging to be about $30k.

Everyone's charging habits vary. I can't charge at home because my electric rates are ridiculously high (if I charge, I'll be hitting roughly $0.46/kWh as I'll be bumped into the next tier), and therefore, I take advantage of the free Supercharging near my house a couple of times a week on average (to the annoyance of my wife).
Yeah I’d go after the dealership you bought it from if they advertised it as having free supercharging.
I’m sure they didn’t know the truth but as they say, ignorance is not a valid excuse.

While it’s sad and i somehow feel cheated, I guess I should have done more research.

I’ll try the small courts option. I sent a note to customer service asking if they can share a copy of the service agreement that the original owner signed that says it’s non transferable. I know it’s a long shot . But hoping ! Fingers crossed
If you are mainly charging at home, you won't need Supercharging very often so the actual value of it to you might be minimal. The free Supercharging only saves you a lot of money if you were planning on using Supercharging for day-to-day usage. My point: don't let this little snag upset you too much.