Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free supercharging Transfer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can they get away with changing the policy on vehicles that we sold with UFSC, transferable to the next owner? The Supercharging language looked like this in 2016-17.
upload_2020-7-22_13-59-51.png

How can they get away with changing the policy on vehicles that we sold with UFSC, transferable to the next owner? The Supercharging language looked like this in 2016-17.
View attachment 567738
Once Tesla bought the car back, they are the owners and can modify the car and remove FUSC. It's similar to someone buying a new car with XYZ wheels and then trading it it years later. Tesla can then remove the XYZ wheels and put on ABC wheels even though the original car was sold with XYZ wheels. You are buying a used car with ABC wheels, not the car that originally had XYZ wheels on the sticker when it was new.

It's definitely unfortunate that they started removing FUSC. Fortunately, it still transfers when the car is sold privately. I sold my 2016 Model S in early 2019 and the new owner has FUSC.

Reactions: Bigriver and brkaus
View attachment 567738
If it was purchased used and resold by Tesla they can do whatever they want. They can even steal the back seat and toss a brick through the window.

if the car never made it back to Tesla, then they cannot take it away.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Thanks for the replies. I am sure this has been argued ad nauseam, but I wasn't looking at the UFSC as an accessory or promotion. I considered it a contractual obligation similar to the vehicle warranty. Could Tesla similarly remove the remainder of the factory vehicle warranty for used vehicles they sell?

Thanks for the replies. I am sure this has been argued ad nauseam, but I wasn't looking at the UFSC as an accessory or promotion. I considered it a contractual obligation similar to the vehicle warranty. Could Tesla similarly remove the remainder of the factory vehicle warranty for used vehicles they sell?

Owners got what they pay for as written on Monroney sticker and the receipt.

Free Supercharging that is not documented in the paperwork could be interpreted as goodwill for the current owner and not a contractual obligation to the next used car owner.

I do not see why not, as long as it is properly disclosed. There are reasons that a warranty can be voided, I would assume they could do it arbitrarily as well - again, as long as it's disclosed.

What Voids Your Vehicle's Warranty? | Edmunds

What I'm not sure is if a used car is sold with a window sticker that has the "as is" box checked, does that mean the factory warranty is still valid?

I'm in the process of transferring my lease on my 2020 Model S with FUSC to someone else. Is it same to assume (and is this confirmed) that since I will deliver the car to the person taking over my lease that FUSC will remain intact for the new lessee?
No. Free transferable Supercharging ended over 3 years ago. It was only transferable if the car was originally ordered before January 15, 2017.

Probably Incompetent.. Lifetime free Supercharging is only transferrable for Model S and Model X vehicles purchased before January 15, 2017. That's from Tesla

No. Free transferable Supercharging ended over 3 years ago. It was only transferable if the car was originally ordered before January 15, 2017.

You’re both right and wrong. That’s what Tesla stated, but they didn’t follow through.

They then amended the statement to say that delivery had to be taken by...[don’t remember the date] because people would order the cars and push the delivery date back. This was back when you could modify orders and select a build date months later.

That opened the door to people who didn’t order before and just aimed to squeeze their delivery in before the deadline to get free supercharging.

As a result of the mess, there are mid-2017 cars that still have free transferable unlimited supercharging. Some are for people who ordered after. Some before. Some were built but never ordered (showroom/inventory)

- Owner of a Q3 2017 car w/transferable, ordered in Q2.

They then amended the statement to say that delivery had to be taken by...[don’t remember the date] because people would order the cars and push the delivery date back. This was back when you could modify orders and select a build date months later.

That opened the door to people who didn’t order before and just aimed to squeeze their delivery in before the deadline to get free supercharging.
Your Q3 delivery notwithstanding, I remember the sequence quite a bit differently.

The "and delivered by ..." text was there from (essentially) the beginning. It was certainly there the entire few weeks that I was considering ordering a car in December 2016.

On January 1st, 2017 they amended the offer by pushing it back 15 days. Now you had to order by 1/15 and take delivery by 4/15, but the delivery deadline was not new. I had already asked a few times of the sales peoople whether the deadline would trigger if I didn't push the date back but Tesla took too long to build it and remember that they couldn't answer. I also remember thinking it was odd that they pushed the delivery date back as it was highly likely they would be building all of the cars by end of quarter anyway. The delivery date had been there before that amendment and it was still there (but different) after the amendment.

The "and delivered by" never opened a door because it was never missing during any time frame where it could have made a difference in whether or not someone could order. It might have "closed a door" if it was missing in the first announcement and they saw a few people trying to take advantage of the delivery push, but it was added well before I started seriously considering ordering in December 2016.

They then brought back the program a number of times as incentives and they fumbled the implementation a number of times. In particular, they brought it back in May of 2017, just a few months after emphatically stating that no (non-P) 100D would ever have free supercharging and at that time it was a referral incentive.

There was also an issue with cars ordered after 1/15 and before mid-May when they invented the referral incentive as those people had had no chance to participate in either promotion. Those cars received free supercharging as a gift, but I don't know if those cars got the transferable version or not. They may well have. If you ordered in Q2 you might have fallen into that gap and recevied a transferable FUSC, but it wouldn't be due to the addition of a "delivered by" amendment to any agreement.

I would also note that sometimes people would take delivery of a car with one status and then Tesla would realize a mistake and change the status. The presence of the transfer text in the account was a typical item that changed over time as they scoured their databases. There were a number of discussions on the forums in Q2-Q3 2017 about whether or not various deliveries had the "transfer" text in their accounts and sometimes it would come and go as Tesla wrangled their databases.

The text that describes the transferability no longer appears on the owners pages so it is harder to tell whether or not they consider a given car as transferable. And I'm guessing that if you call Tesla they might decide to investigate and correct the database to match the policies that were supposed to be in place at the time, so it could be a self-defeating query.

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Your Q3 delivery notwithstanding, I remember the sequence quite a bit differently.

The "and delivered by ..." text was there from (essentially) the beginning. It was certainly there the entire few weeks that I was considering ordering a car in December 2016.

On January 1st, 2017 they amended the offer by pushing it back 15 days. Now you had to order by 1/15 and take delivery by 4/15, but the delivery deadline was not new. I had already asked a few times of the sales peoople whether the deadline would trigger if I didn't push the date back but Tesla took too long to build it and remember that they couldn't answer. I also remember thinking it was odd that they pushed the delivery date back as it was highly likely they would be building all of the cars by end of quarter anyway. The delivery date had been there before that amendment and it was still there (but different) after the amendment.

The "and delivered by" never opened a door because it was never missing during any time frame where it could have made a difference in whether or not someone could order. It might have "closed a door" if it was missing in the first announcement and they saw a few people trying to take advantage of the delivery push, but it was added well before I started seriously considering ordering in December 2016.

They then brought back the program a number of times as incentives and they fumbled the implementation a number of times. In particular, they brought it back in May of 2017, just a few months after emphatically stating that no (non-P) 100D would ever have free supercharging and at that time it was a referral incentive.

There was also an issue with cars ordered after 1/15 and before mid-May when they invented the referral incentive as those people had had no chance to participate in either promotion. Those cars received free supercharging as a gift, but I don't know if those cars got the transferable version or not. They may well have. If you ordered in Q2 you might have fallen into that gap and recevied a transferable FUSC, but it wouldn't be due to the addition of a "delivered by" amendment to any agreement.

I would also note that sometimes people would take delivery of a car with one status and then Tesla would realize a mistake and change the status. The presence of the transfer text in the account was a typical item that changed over time as they scoured their databases. There were a number of discussions on the forums in Q2-Q3 2017 about whether or not various deliveries had the "transfer" text in their accounts and sometimes it would come and go as Tesla wrangled their databases.

The text that describes the transferability no longer appears on the owners pages so it is harder to tell whether or not they consider a given car as transferable. And I'm guessing that if you call Tesla they might decide to investigate and correct the database to match the policies that were supposed to be in place at the time, so it could be a self-defeating query.
We had a December 2016 S90D that received transferable Supercharging but our March 2017 S100D (originally ordered an S90D before 1/15/17 and then upgraded to S100D) didn't receive any Supercharging initially. As you mentioned, any non-P100D didn't get free Supercharging for a few months. Eventually, they gave it to those cars but it wasn't transferable. The official rules were as you mentioned and they had to be ordered before 1/15/17. There was some slack given for delivery date as I remember a Model S delivered to Switzerland that was in September 2017 which did have FUSC but it had been ordered before the 1/15/17 deadline.

Entirely possible I’m remembering the sequence wrong given my old age. But I do recall the text message up. we took screenshots of all three cars with VINs to make sure we had proof should something change.

My 2016 has no text on the sticker about free supercharging. Only in the configuration. But the two Xs both had them On the window sticker - Free Supercharging nothing about transferable. Both picked up outside that window of what should have been included one was sold already and transferred fine. But given the printed text I don’t think it was a service center configuration; but who knows. Tesla was a mess back then. The SCs were able to do a lot more than they can nowadays

We had a December 2016 S90D that received transferable Supercharging but our March 2017 S100D (originally ordered an S90D before 1/15/17 and then upgraded to S100D) didn't receive any Supercharging initially. As you mentioned, any non-P100D didn't get free Supercharging for a few months. Eventually, they gave it to those cars but it wasn't transferable. The official rules were as you mentioned and they had to be ordered before 1/15/17. There was some slack given for delivery date as I remember a Model S delivered to Switzerland that was in September 2017 which did have FUSC but it had been ordered before the 1/15/17 deadline.
The only 100D version prior to 1/15/17 was the P100D. The regular 100D models were not announced until just after the deadline (on 1/20/17) and they did that for a reason - so that anyone with a 100D battery who wanted free supercharging would have to pay more for the performance version.

Tesla releases new Model S 100D with 335 miles of range - longest range EV in the world yet - Electrek
Tesla now offers a 100D Model S and Model X with extended range – TechCrunch

There was quite a rush of people after that announcement calling their Sales people to switch their car to the non-P version only to find out that they had lost (or would lose) their FUSC as a result.

The only 100D version prior to 1/15/17 was the P100D. The regular 100D models were not announced until just after the deadline (on 1/20/17) and they did that for a reason - so that anyone with a 100D battery who wanted free supercharging would have to pay more for the performance version.

Tesla releases new Model S 100D with 335 miles of range - longest range EV in the world yet - Electrek
Tesla now offers a 100D Model S and Model X with extended range – TechCrunch

There was quite a rush of people after that announcement calling their Sales people to switch their car to the non-P version only to find out that they had lost (or would lose) their FUSC as a result.
Yeah, they contacted us and gave us the ultimatum of getting another S90D with FUSC or waiting and ordering the S100D without any free Supercharging. Since we already had another S90D delivered in December 2016 with FUSC, we changed the 2nd S90D order (originally ordered by the 1/15/17 deadline) to be an S100D once it was available to order. We were bummed that there was no free Supercharging initially but fortunately Tesla added non-transferable free Supercharging to the S100D a couple months later.

We sold the S90D with FUSC last year and the Supercharging transferred to the new owner. We still have the S100D and I use it for all my road trips to Kansas and Nebraska and enjoy never having to pay to supercharge. Our other Teslas share our referral mile credit balance so we don't have to pay when supercharging those yet.

Reactions: flar
I'm in the process of transferring my lease on my 2020 Model S with FUSC to someone else. Is it same to assume (and is this confirmed) that since I will deliver the car to the person taking over my lease that FUSC will remain intact for the new lessee?
Hi,
How did it go at the end? did the new owner get free supercharging? did you give him your account?