Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free uncorking - WTF? Sign of autopilot dev trouble?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This one has me scratching my head (though I'm glad I may qualify) - I didn't pay for this. Why am I getting it for free? I don't see the point of Tesla doing this unless it's to provide some goodwill for some kind of bad news soon to come.

PR + resale value support.

Tesla wants to keep CPO value up so they'll uncork them. But if they only uncorked CPOs and made others pay for it there's be a lot of unhappy people.

Reactions: gabeincal and xborg
This one has me scratching my head (though I'm glad I may qualify) - I didn't pay for this. Why am I getting it for free? I don't see the point of Tesla doing this unless it's to provide some goodwill for some kind of bad news soon to come.

If this is true then it doesn't seem to be a well-thought out plan on Tesla's part.

There are 90D owners who have purchased EAP. Wouldn't Tesla need to provide a goodwill gesture to everyone?

I've observed posts here and on other Tesla email lists about how folks demanded/begged for the change immediately and/or made up other problems to get their car into the shop.

I was under the impression it was more than firmware only change in some instances?
I don't have car capable of uncorking (there's no love for us original 70D's), so I don't know.

I was under the impression it's firmware only, I wouldn't expect Tesla to provide free hardware upgrades. I'm sure there are people who will abuse it, but I can see why Tesla did it the way they did it.

Just to add to the conversation: Elon recently said that he wouldn't forget the first time adopters (aka first generation tesla owners) yet this move has dramatically reduced the value of my P85... there really is no added value of having a CPO P85 anymore (or a standard 85 either). I fear the value of my car will go down a lot unfortunately.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones and xborg

So, let me get this straight. We're now going to complain because Tesla is giving something away for free?

In light of this, can someone cite me a hypothetical example of any action that Tesla could take (involving anything) that would NOT generate a complaint?

• Telsa holds back AEB on AP 2.5 until they have enough real-world data to validate proper operation -> generates complaints.
  • Telsa activates Autosteer on AP 2 before they have enough real-world data to validate proper operation -> generates complaints.
  • Tesla charges for Ludicrous upgrade that gives P85D/P90D cars performance level that some say they should have had to begin with -> generates complaints.
  • Tesla gives away upgrade that gives 75D cars a performance level that no one ever expected -> generates complaints.

source.gif

Just to add to the conversation: Elon recently said that he wouldn't forget the first time adopters (aka first generation tesla owners) yet this move has dramatically reduced the value of my P85... there really is no added value of having a CPO P85 anymore (or a standard 85 either). I fear the value of my car will go down a lot unfortunately.

Since the Tesla is a highly technical car, the depreciation behaves more like a cell phone or computer rather than a car. Newer technology will always push the depreciation of previous models faster.

However, while the uncorking of the 75D may further reduce P85 values, the P85 value was already depressed along with all pre-AP cars. I doubt it's that much more of a hit than it's already taken.

• Informative
Reactions: Nick B
So, let me get this straight. We're now going to complain because Tesla is giving something away for free?

In light of this, can someone cite me a hypothetical example of any action that Tesla could take (involving anything) that would NOT generate a complaint?

• Telsa holds back AEB on AP 2.5 until they have enough real-world data to validate proper operation -> generates complaints.
  • Telsa activates Autosteer on AP 2 before they have enough real-world data to validate proper operation -> generates complaints.
  • Tesla charges for Ludicrous upgrade that gives P85D/P90D cars performance level that some say they should have had to begin with -> generates complaints.
  • Tesla gives away upgrade that gives 75D cars a performance level that no one ever expected -> generates complaints.

source.gif
Don't forget that Elon had the nerve to save Puerto Rico before I get my powerwall!

Sure there is. You cannot wiggle the butt of a 75D, but you can have a lot of fun in a RWD P85.

I didn't my battery unlocked from a 60D to 75D for free. Wouldn't have expected it free - even though later Teslas continuously add more value than prior ones. So the uncorking at no charge is really leaving me going "what's the catch Elon?"

So Elon gave us a nice bouquet of flowers after returning home from a bachelor party.... sure there was glitter and lipstick stains on his shirt, maybe he's just finally appreciating us...

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV and calisnow

It makes sense to improve 0-60 to make people DRIVE. FSD is just the opposite - to NOT DRIVE. With faster 0-60, more owners would prefer to drive than be driven. I think it is a classic move by Elon :).

Seriously though, the reasons I feel Tesla did what they did are:
1. Tesla wants the MS performance superiority over M3 to be rather significant, and for the majority of the MS owners. I had 5.2seconds 0-60 prior to uncork, a M3-long-range is 5.1 seconds 0-60. This may be unacceptable to majority of execs at Tesla.