Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free uncorking - WTF? Sign of autopilot dev trouble?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps a simpler explanation -- goodwill to head off the complaints about "why is my 70-75 slower than his 70-75 that is not fair." Nothing to do with AP dev.

Well, they aren't uncorking mine. Built in March this year. 6-9 months newer than some of the uncorked cars from 2016.

To be honest I'm pissed. I wasn't happy in the summer when the news about the fast 75D came on July 1st. I took delivery of mine June 28th... I also missed out on free air suspension, price reduction, guaranteed residual value and some other things. And just when I had come over my bitterness from the summer this happens.

I swear, I will sell my Tesla and just head back to BMW. I just don't handle losses very well I guess. I think Tesla treated me poorly. I bought a car for more than twice of what I had paid for a car before. Well outside my budget but Tesla doesn't protect my "investment" at all. Now my car is in free fall value wise. Every damn person who contacted me to buy my car asked if it's got the new performance, the air suspension etc etc. It's very difficult to sell without losing a ton of money.

So thank you mr Musk. Thank you very much.

Reactions: alehbaba
Well, they aren't uncorking mine. Built in March this year. 6-9 months newer than some of the uncorked cars from 2016.

To be honest I'm pissed. I wasn't happy in the summer when the news about the fast 75D came on July 1st. I took delivery of mine June 28th... I also missed out on free air suspension, price reduction, guaranteed residual value and some other things. And just when I had come over my bitterness from the summer this happens.

I swear, I will sell my Tesla and just head back to BMW. I just don't handle losses very well I guess. I think Tesla treated me poorly. I bought a car for more than twice of what I had paid for a car before. Well outside my budget but Tesla doesn't protect my "investment" at all. Now my car is in free fall value wise. Every damn person who contacted me to buy my car asked if it's got the new performance, the air suspension etc etc. It's very difficult to sell without losing a ton of money.

I’m surprised your car isn’t eligible. Are you sure? Plenty of cars earlier and later than yours are eligible.
Try calling a different service centre with you VIN and double check. Not all service centres have the latest info.

@Verdi,

It sure is odd that your car is not getting the performance increase. I second the suggestion to verify this with another service center. If that doesn't work, try Tesla HQ.

Also, don't forget that there are advantages of the spring suspension. It should have a tighter, sportier, feel. Also, air suspensions for any car typically need repairs once they are 5-6 years old. When I was looking for a used Model S, air suspension was on my "must not have" options list, and I love the spring suspension on the car I bought. Reading comments here at TMC, most owners love their spring suspension, as do the owners of air suspension as well. People have their preferences, and they like what they like.

Since Tesla no longer offers the spring suspension, the value of your car should be higher as long as you wait to find a buyer who prefers it.

GSP

@Verdi,

It sure is odd that your car is not getting the performance increase. I second the suggestion to verify this with another service center. If that doesn't work, try Tesla HQ.

Also, don't forget that there are advantages of the spring suspension. It should have a tighter, sportier, feel. Also, air suspensions for any car typically need repairs once they are 5-6 years old. When I was looking for a used Model S, air suspension was on my "must not have" options list, and I love the spring suspension on the car I bought. Reading comments here at TMC, most owners love their spring suspension, as do the owners of air suspension as well. People have their preferences, and they like what they like.

Since Tesla no longer offers the spring suspension, the value of your car should be higher as long as you wait to find a buyer who prefers it.

GSP

Yes, it's odd. I haven't given up hope yet though. I got a feeling they didn't know what they were talking about. Maybe a few weeks will make a difference. I also wrote an email through the "My Tesla"-page and asked them to tell me exactly why my car isn't eligible.

I like the spring suspension as well. But I'm not going to buy the car from myself, am I? ;-) You're also right that air suspension is a clear negative on older cars. And some say the steering feel is worse on air suspension cars as well. The springs give you more contact with the surface you drive on.

To be honest I don't feel much difference between air and springs myself. It's kind of cool to be able to raise and lower the car though.

So is it a firmware change applied locally (toolkit, whatever)? I read one post about a forklift... maybe that was discussing if hardware changes were needed in some special case?

Anyone know what exactly is the normal uncorking process? (No skin in the game here, of course! :D)

Yes, it's odd. I haven't given up hope yet though. I got a feeling they didn't know what they were talking about. Maybe a few weeks will make a difference. I also wrote an email through the "My Tesla"-page and asked them to tell me exactly why my car isn't eligible.

I like the spring suspension as well. But I'm not going to buy the car from myself, am I? ;-) You're also right that air suspension is a clear negative on older cars. And some say the steering feel is worse on air suspension cars as well. The springs give you more contact with the surface you drive on.

To be honest I don't feel much difference between air and springs myself. It's kind of cool to be able to raise and lower the car though.
Yep, double check and get that uncorking and you’re golden.... springs make a lighter car too? Sounds like you have an efficient model s... if they tell you it can’t be uncorked... see if you can get them to help you move laterally or something. Long shot, this is one of those things I would ask @bonnie for advice on...

Yep, double check and get that uncorking and you’re golden.... springs make a lighter car too? Sounds like you have an efficient model s... if they tell you it can’t be uncorked... see if you can get them to help you move laterally or something. Long shot, this is one of those things I would ask @bonnie for advice on...

What do you mean by "move laterally"? Switch cars? Think not. Asked them for a trade in August and they offered me 75% of what I paid for it. After 5 weeks of ownership. They weren't interested at all to help me out despite me getting my car delivered on June 28th, three days prior to the news about the faster 75D. I also missed out on some other things by just a couple of weeks. They didn't even offer me the guaranteed residual value...

Who's @bonnie?

What do you mean by "move laterally"? Switch cars? Think not. Asked them for a trade in August and they offered me 75% of what I paid for it. After 5 weeks of ownership. They weren't interested at all to help me out despite me getting my car delivered on June 28th, three days prior to the news about the faster 75D. I also missed out on some other things by just a couple of weeks. They didn't even offer me the guaranteed residual value...

Who's @bonnie?
Just another forum member. :)

If you'd like help getting the reasons why you're not eligible, send me a pm and I'll see what I can do to help.

Good topic OP. My take on this move (to give away high performance upgrade for free) is that a major update to MS will be announced soon, and Tesla would still like to keep the used car value of its current MS inventory (& that of MS owners) high (compared to gasoline cars, and compared to M3).

My take (Tesla could do the below without major overhaul of current MS body), perhaps even in time for end of year sales:
* 85kwh as base battery. MS's smallest range would be then close to 290. Can also UP the 0-60 to < 4.00 seconds.
* 100kwh cars would be standard with "Performance" edition, 0-60 < 3 seconds. Bigger effort would be packing more (110KWh battery?) for more range?

Typically most MS owners would whine about their value dropping significantly when Tesla announces new cars/models. This free 4.2 performance upgrade is to (1) get good PR, (2) keep value of used inventory & private MS market high, and (3) make way for better MSs.

I am of the opinion that FSD would take 3-4yrs time (technically) and legal clearange perhaps longer. When I bought my AP1 car days before the AP2 announcement, I whined a lot, but i am actually quite happy with the solid level-2 AP1.0 car - I think it has great value and will retain its usefulness for years to come. I am actually worried buying the M3 with EAP for wife (not sure she wants to babysit the EAP through its development cycle - and only buy the s/w upgrade when EAP is as good as AP1.0 at the minimum) - this is a diff topic though!

Reactions: calisnow

Why won't they uncork yours?

Mine's older than yours, Dec 16 build VIN171XXX, and there are cars in the US in the same range that have been uncorked and others told not "eligible". It appears completely random, except no-one in the UK has been uncorked. One theory, and in the absence of any facts from Tesla all we can do is theorise, is that the European cars had the inferior fuse (possibly not the correct word) that can't take the higher current. It's a pure guess and assumes Tilburg are responsible for that part of the manufacturing process, which may be wrong too!

i understand how you feel. Its just another thing down the road a potential buyer will as you along with does it have the newer drive units. And now-does it have the performance update...I feel the exact same way as you do. Most people not on these forums wont really be aware untill they do go to trade in or sell it privately and then get hit with all these questions. Tesla has done this over and over and over. For the price of the car its a shady way to do business.

Tesla knows why your car can not be uncorked and really should tell you and others (maybe us too) why 3/2017 builds cannot be uncorked..

have spring suspension as well. Enjoy it just fine and its more reliable-less issues can happen and while stiffer We enjoy the ride.The air just wasnt worth the upcharge back in 3/2017. Our build date is also feb/march of 2017 and we still have a 60d and didnt opt to unlock for 2k because to us its alot of extra$$$ to put into an allready more expensive car then we have ever bought. We too were upset when they changed everything after we bought and our sales guy said Super charging was going away...only to find it came back a month later AFTER the purchase.We would have waited it he said its likely coming back this summer....was bummed at their tactics. It was a rush to fund and a crap time of year(cold) here to buy a car but they got our $$ . its been in the SC for a bunch of stuff from upgraded stereo sounds poor to misaligned bumper to seat issues to failed bluetooth connection to center console/ du whirring noises and while sc has always been good and professional i still think they blow alot of things off (like the whirring noise as normal when i dont think it is) and with 8k miles on it at 7 months its nice to drive and love the concept but more issues than any other new car we have owned.

So is it a firmware change applied locally (toolkit, whatever)? I read one post about a forklift... maybe that was discussing if hardware changes were needed in some special case?

Anyone know what exactly is the normal uncorking process? (No skin in the game here, of course! :D)
someone posted that the ranger(i think mobile tesla) some to his home and uncorked it in the garage and i think its just software????
What odd is some people are saying there is some kind of fuse in the battery pack that wont allow uncorking to handle the extra power..but with that in mind whats really odd is that older 2016 builds are ok as well as some 2017 builds to uncork and some are not so what was the haphazard deal with the whole fuse thing??? As i posted elsewhere did tesla have a bunch of odd fuses laying around for a week or a month and then go back to some other fuse from 2016 cars that can handle more juice????? Like there is no rhythm or reason to us=ing a standard fuse???? Its odd....and if thats the case..standardize it and change out the fuse...oh but some say its a non replaceable fuse??? huh?? Why would a fuse be non replaceable??? Its all so confusing and tesla knows the real answer but keeps it from people who already bought the car which is shady to me.

Reactions: boaterva
someone posted that the ranger(i think mobile tesla) some to his home and uncorked it in the garage and i think its just software????
What odd is some people are saying there is some kind of fuse in the battery pack that wont allow uncorking to handle the extra power..but with that in mind whats really odd is that older 2016 builds are ok as well as some 2017 builds to uncork and some are not so what was the haphazard deal with the whole fuse thing??? As i posted elsewhere did tesla have a bunch of odd fuses laying around for a week or a month and then go back to some other fuse from 2016 cars that can handle more juice????? Like there is no rhythm or reason to us=ing a standard fuse???? Its odd....and if thats the case..standardize it and change out the fuse...oh but some say its a non replaceable fuse??? huh?? Why would a fuse be non replaceable??? Its all so confusing and tesla knows the real answer but keeps it from people who already bought the car which is shady to me.

I think the newer cars, i.e. post June 17 build can be uncorked by software alone. It's all the others that can't, and it was an email from a service centre that raised the "two types of fuse" issue. The random nature of those that can and those that can't does make it look like it was pot luck which fuse you got in your car.

Your are right though - Tesla know the answers but aren't saying.

So many people freaking out.

The reality of the situation looks like pretty much ALL 75Ds are eligible if they started their life as a 75D. MOST 75Ds are eligible if they started their life as a 70D or 60D. If you fall into the first category, it's because the Service Center doesn't have the updated communication and / or is not checking the WARP system.

Second, really unfortunate people are cursing Telsa for retroactively upgrading people's cars. Even if you're not included in this for whatever reason, it's insane to me that people are bad mouthing the company.

Reactions: MP3Mike and bonnie
Also to clarify the upgrade is 100% software only. It CAN be done by a Ranger service but it's recommended to be done at a Service Center as it needs a stable internet connection to talk to the mothership and not having a stable connection can cause problems.