Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Unlimited Supercharging Extended Until 1/15

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received the email 4 minutes ago...

Due to high demand at the end of the year, we’ve extended the order date by two weeks for customers who were unable to finalize their purchase by December 31, 2016. Any Tesla ordered by January 15, 2017 and built by April 15, 2017 will continue to benefit from free unlimited Supercharging. For Model S and Model X vehicles ordered after January 15, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles) will be included annually so that owners can continue to enjoy free Supercharging during travel.

Due to high demand at the end of the year, we’ve extended the order date by two weeks for customers who were unable to finalize their purchase by December 31, 2016. Any Tesla ordered by January 15, 2017 and built by April 15, 2017 will continue to benefit from free unlimited Supercharging. For Model S and Model X vehicles ordered after January 15, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles) will be included annually so that owners can continue to enjoy free Supercharging during travel.
An example of where "Tesla time" is advantageous to the prospective Tesla customer. :)

Built by April 15? Does this mean it can now get delivered after and still qualify so long as it was built by then?

May indicate it's now possible to get the new stuff announced in model 3 reveal part 3 along with the unlimited supercharging.

Actually looking back and the Refresh Model S started production April 12 last year. Perhaps April 16 is the cutover date to the new toys :)

Last edited:
Built by April 15? Does this mean it can now get delivered after and still qualify so long as it was built by then?

May indicate it's now possible to get the new stuff announced in model 3 reveal part 3 along with the unlimited supercharging.
Unlikely. If you switch to a new configuration not offered at the time of your order, it's typically repriced. That would remove unlimited.

While extending the "free unlimited long distance" cutoff two more weeks is a reasonable move, since they haven't yet announced the details on the charging plan, they really should provide at least a few weeks between when they announce the details and the cutoff, to provide owners one last opportunity to place an order under the current plan, before the new plan takes effect.

Reactions: Porfiry and brkaus
While extending the "free unlimited long distance" cutoff two more weeks is a reasonable move, since they haven't yet announced the details on the charging plan, they really should provide at least a few weeks between when they announce the details and the cutoff, to provide owners one last opportunity to place an order under the current plan, before the new plan takes effect.

Exactly, without any details on the new plan, who is going to buy a car this week?

Probably tied up in local legalities related to selling power.

It is good news. So the car no longer needs to be delivered by March 31st??

Built by April 15th?? That sounds like people in Europe or Asia could have get their car delivered in late May and still be okay on unlimited supercharging.

I must admit this email got me thinking of moving up the X purchase schedule if I can. The site for us here down under states Late April delivery which I assume means it would be built before the April 15th deadline but I don't know whether we can trust Tesla time. I don't want to pull the trigger now only to find it's not built in time and then lose the free supercharging benefit. Bear in mind we haven't had a single Model X delivered down here yet.

Tesla really had a great marketing message - "free long distance driving".

If the new fee structure is supposed to encourage more owners to install or find alternatives for overnight charging, there may be a simple way to do this without giving up on the "free long distance driving" message - which no other manufacturer will be able to match, since they won't have their own charging networks.

The new supercharger fees could be as simple as:
  • Idle fee: cars connected to a supercharger after charging completed will be charged an idle fee ($.40/minute). To encourage owners to disconnect promptly, this should be done without any exception (even if other charging spots are open).
  • Charging fee: cars are provided 400 kwh of charging for free per year at any supercharging location (and including any supercharger within a 75-100 mile radius). Cars using more than 400 kwh of supercharging at that location will be charged a fee (either per minute or per kwh), charged immediately from their credit cards (provided through their My Tesla account).
Using this approach should eliminate any concerns from future owners about being charged for using the supercharger network for road trips, while addressing the local charging that is increasing the usage of superchargers (primarily in urban areas).

We're considering purchasing a replacement for our 4 year old P85, and the new supercharger fees (even though we only intend to use the SC network for road trips) are a concern, since it appears to be another price increase.

IMO, tesla initially thought the supercharging was like insurance. Tack it into the price of ALL their cars and those that don't use it will subsidize those that do. They assumed, like healthcare insurance, few people would actually overuse the system. But we all know this is a flawed assumption. Hopefully the crackheads over at tesla who thought this would work was fired because of this. The problem is there are more than expected people using the stations and unlike insurance companies that can raise the price of the premium to cover the cost, tesla cannot do so once the car is purchased. Hence they are rolling out this new program to help alleviate this congestion and definitely overuse problem.

I am glad tesla has come to realization but I was hoping sooner than currently. In either case I am seeing some of the effects of the idling cost helping. Superchargers are more vacant than before. And people are actually staying in their car waiting or leaving only for a few minutes.

Reactions: Chopr147
Like many I charge at home. I head upstate and charge at the Lake-house. But in the winter my 60D S has a tougher time getting there w/o a supercharger stop. 400kwh of charging i probably use in 3 months. Or less. NY Superchargers are NEVER full.:cool: I have had to wait a couple times but that is at the service center which has only 4 stalls and often the Tesla's presently being serviced are charging. That one is in near my home and yes, I do use it at times . But being a decent person (I think) when I charge at a mall I DO NOT leave it for hours. Tesla had to do this though. People will always overdo a good thing :cool:

I wonder if that many people actually use over 400kw at supercharges in a year?

I don't know the answer to that except that I'm quite certain if it remained free a lot more would go over than if they were charged -- which is likely the reason it's ending. If you do any long road trips 400 kWh doesn't get you very far. Or, if you are like me and go your cabin most weekends, with a supercharger half-way, it wouldn't last very long.

Hi Bluestar! Love the car in your pic...your ride? If so, can you provide me specs? Thanks! Gorgeous car!

It looks like the Model 3 to me so it can't be his ride -- at least not yet anyway.

Reactions: Chopr147
Hopefully the crackheads over at tesla who thought this would work was fired because of this.
In either case I am seeing some of the effects of the idling cost helping. Superchargers are more vacant than before. And people are actually staying in their car waiting or leaving only for a few minutes
Pretty sure the same guy who thought of unlimited free Supercharging is the same guy who thought of imposing an idling fee. And I'm pretty sure he's not a "crackhead". Doing crack cocaine is not compatible with being the CEO of two disruptive technology companies at the same time...

• Funny
Reactions: Jaff and AvengerBB