Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frequent TeslaFi email messages "You may need to restart the vehicles computer..."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

berkeley_ecar

S 90D (fully loaded) delivered 18 Mar 2017
Jul 21, 2014
Berkeley, CA
As a TeslaFi customer, I've been getting frequent automated email messages from them with the subject line "You may need to restart the vehicles computer and make sure there is internet connectivity," with the message body reading "(Vehicle Name] Has Been Offline For 30 Minutes." The frequency went up markedly at the start of the year. I'm uncertain as to whether this has something to do with sleep settings on my Model S, and was perhaps triggered by changes relating to a software update. I've tried to answer this question on the TeslaFi web site but that site's search and support messaging systems don't seem to be working for me. Does anyone have wisdom they can share on this point? Is this anything to be concerned about? Is there anything I can do to reduce the frequency of such messages? Kind thanks in advance for any helpful guidance.

Check settings notifications. You can set the interval there.

Attachments

• 96F0F2C8-633B-43D3-A6F5-9515C046B98B.png
    96F0F2C8-633B-43D3-A6F5-9515C046B98B.png
    160.4 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: frank-datank
I notice this happens with my 2018 Model S but never did with my early 2016 Model S. It seems to be related to the Tesla API showing your car as offline. The times I've looked at TeslaFi during this "offline" status and once I come back, the range has always stayed the same so I'd say this is almost as if the vehicle is sleeping. I honestly wouldn't worry about it and consider it like a form of sleep mode.

Thanks for the helpful comments. The most immediately useful response was that of @Tam (thanks!), and I have bumped up my notification interval from 30m to 120m. In response to a number of queries: my car has a superb WiFi signal where it is parked, as well as a strong LTE signal. The behavior has been going on for months, so a transitory LTE problem for AT&T can't explain it. This is almost certainly normal behavior, but it is of course more satisfying to understand why something happens. I do wish TeslaFi had better support for such questions, and fuller explanations on its website. I did spend time on their site before posting here, and none of their forum or messaging components were of any help.

...better support...

There are many causes for an error message as brainstormed by many posters above.

The trick is to filter out what is serious and which ones to ignore.

TeslaFi is not approved by Tesla so Tesla can change its protocols from time to time and vendors like TeslaFi has to catch up with Tesla's changes constantly.

My car still works and TeslaFi still works so I just decide it's a low priority error message and worthy of being ignored.

I have this behavior since a few updates ago with my S100D 2018 MCU2. The car returns status "offline" which in reality the car isn't. The app still works, and commands can still be send to the API. You can disable these offline message in the Teslafi settings.

Dre can you help me stop all notifications from Teslafi? I get a text every 20 minutes or so. I enable SMS messages and want them to stop. I saved my preferences with no notifications but they keep coming. Thanks very much.
I may have figured this out . I’ll report back. Thanks