Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From 55 mph to a complete stop! Worst phantom braking. FSD Beta 10.12.2 - Reproducible with 2 different Tesla’s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot will slow down from the 55mph speed limit and come to a complete aggressive stop in the middle of the road. I tested this with both FSD with Nav and without navigation on. This was duplicated on both our Model S Plaid and Model X.

I’m able to reproduce it every single time at the same location. It acts as if the road ends when it clearly does not. It occurs with vehicles behind me as well. I quickly take over. I have tested this multiple times. I allowed it to come to a complete stop on both our cars making sure no one was behind me.

I also tested on my son’s Model 3 and it works fine. Only difference is that our two cars have the beta FSD where he has the public non beta FSD. So it’s definitely beta that’s acting up.

Both on FSD Beta 10.12.2, Version 2022.12.3.20

I suspect it’s a mapping problem but I thought Tesla vision and sensors should clearly see that the road continues. I reported to Tesla. This has happened in the previous beta build as well.

Autopilot will slow down from the 55mph speed limit and come to a complete aggressive stop in the middle of the road. I tested this with both FSD with Nav and without navigation on. This was duplicated on both our Model S Plaid and Model X.

I’m able to reproduce it every single time at the same location. It acts as if the road ends when it clearly does not. It occurs with vehicles behind me as well. I quickly take over. I have tested this multiple times. I allowed it to come to a complete stop on both our cars making sure no one was behind me.

I also tested on my son’s Model 3 and it works fine. Only difference is that our two cars have the beta FSD where he has the public non beta FSD. So it’s definitely beta that’s acting up.

Both on FSD Beta 10.12.2, Version 2022.12.3.20

I suspect it’s a mapping problem but I thought Tesla vision and sensors should clearly see that the road continues. I reported to Tesla. This has happened in the previous beta build as well.
Does the screen give any clue as to what the car is seeing at that moment? The new visualizations on FSD Beta may see something that your son's car doesn't see on the screen.

And the reason you're withholding the location, direction of travel, etc, is...?

Here’s the location: Eastbound on FM 707 Abilene, Texas 55 mph road.

6C6E05E1-2120-4B99-9B33-3A75DF58521C.jpeg

Actually yes I did. ”I tested this with both FSD with Nav and without navigation on.”

Tested with NOA on and just AP on three different cars.

I think what they’re is asking is to to clarify if the vehicle was utilizing NoA logic or FSDb Logic. I have the same question, my assumption is you’re saying with the FSDb logic. NoA can still run on a car with the FSD Beta 10.12 firmware.

Reactions: Luisito
FWIW I have 3 different routes in my area that will cause this with FSD Beta 10.12.2 while in NoA / highway mode. In my case, it is reacting to a nonexistent stop sign. It will come to a stop behind the imaginary stop line if you don't intervene. Guessing it's the same issue for you. I've reported it and I take a snapshot every time. Hope 10.13 fixes it as this was not an issue on the same routes in the past.

Any message on the instrument cluster?

Does the posted road speed icon change to a lower number? Does your Maximum Cruise Speed change to a lower number too?

No messages and posted speed limit on IC is 55 mph which it does pickup correctly about a half a mile prior. I suspect it’s a navigation map issue but even with NOA off it still wants to stop. I thought FSD beta is supposed to be using vision vs a mapping decision and with NOA off there should be no reason it wants to stop. I will upload video shortly.

FWIW I have 3 different routes in my area that will cause this with FSD Beta 10.12.2 while in NoA / highway mode. In my case, it is reacting to a nonexistent stop sign. It will come to a stop behind the imaginary stop line if you don't intervene. Guessing it's the same issue for you. I've reported it and I take a snapshot every time
This road has never had a stop sign at this location.

Maybe the car sees clay pigeons coming from the skeet range on the left...

Seriously, I Iooked at the google maps to see if there was a county or city boundary at that location. Although the city limit parallels the road to the south, it does not cross the road here. And the county line is well to the east. I have a highway near me where FSD slows way down right at a county line. Can't say if it would stop though.

The only thing is the other road merging in from the west. Your location is just after the merge with Spur 707, so maybe a mistaken right-of-way coding in the map?

It would be interesting to see if an M3 or MY with beta also stops here. Maybe someone else on TMC lives in Abilene, or is going to drive through there soon on I-20.

Reactions: Luisito