Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front End... Hmmmmmm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After seeing the picture of all three models side by side it is obvious to me that this is a design choice that serves a purpose...I would suspect drastically improving drag coefficients. Since all three models share this characteristic.

Dan
Take this with a grain of salt, as I haven't seen the new S or X in person yet, but...

The nose looks more pronounced to me on the 3, where the front bumper area slants forward before meeting the hoodline, accentuating the "duckbill" look. The new S (from pictures I've seen) appears to be more or less vertical.

Take this with a grain of salt, as I haven't seen the new S or X in person yet, but...

The nose looks more pronounced to me on the 3, where the front bumper area slants forward before meeting the hoodline, accentuating the "duckbill" look. The new S (from pictures I've seen) appears to be more or less vertical.

My guess is that they found that if they make the nose slightly more pronounced it gave them an even better drag coefficient. If it gets us more range then I am all for it.

Dan

First post. I’ve been following Tesla as a soon to be a buyer of the model S. One of the big positives was the exterior design. It did not look like an electric. I thought the front end was really good looking, made it look European.

Now, with the new front end, I’ll be buying the newest one I can with the nose cone. I can’t say I hate it but I am really disappointed with the new design. To me it looks either like an unattractive pair of lips, like someone put tape over it, depending on the color of the car. It now lacks style and personality, in my opinion. Also, I wish they would have addressed the issue of lack of cabin storage. I thought that would have been one of their priorities considering the number of people who wanted that.

That said, I’m really looking forward to owning an S. It will be like driving the future.

Best to ya,

Roger

Reactions: eisbock
After seeing the picture of all three models side by side it is obvious to me that this is a design choice that serves a purpose...I would suspect drastically improving drag coefficients. Since all three models share this characteristic.
Yes. The front end of the Model ☰ reminds me of these:
raptor-skid-735x413.jpg

PAV1%20front%201545.jpg

19e05yu1o82e3jpg.jpg

yf23load.jpg

I think time will show that the Model 3 will have the same front end treatment as the Model S and X.
The same design language for all cars with the smooth nose and small mustache and Tesla T Logo.
A Brand DNA similar to the BMW kidney grills. BTW, beautiful location photos ... Pebble Beach, CA?

full

I was trying to find this picture earlier. In this picture you can clearly see that all three models have a very similar upturned nose. I thing the mustache hides it somewhat on the S and X.

Dan

I still like it. I'm not going to cancel my order if they add the mustache.

The front end design marks a sharp delineation whereby airflow will progress above, below, and around the car. Similar to the images of the jet fighters I posted above. Such is the advantage of Tesla Motors being so closely tied with SpaceX, an aeronautics company. Plus, the Tesla Design Studio and SpaceX both occupy the same campus next to Hawthorne Airport that was previously used by Northrop when they developed the YF-23. I consider it... serendipity.
19e05yu1o82e3jpg.jpg

The front end design marks a sharp delineation whereby airflow will progress above, below, and around the car. Similar to the images of the jet fighters I posted above. Such is the advantage of Tesla Motors being so closely tied with SpaceX, an aeronautics company. Plus, the Tesla Design Studio and SpaceX both occupy the same campus next to Hawthorne Airport that was previously used by Northrop when they developed the YF-23. I consider it... serendipity.
19e05yu1o82e3jpg.jpg

I don't see any blunt surfaces normal to the direction of travel, do you?

Reactions: eisbock
Front end is good as it is in the concept. I Imagine it will be difficult to achieve a Cd of 0.21 or even come close (0.22) without that. Besides, EVs have to make use of every advantage they have in their arsenal and not requiring a front grill is one of them.

:)

Then again, this is all personal opinion. I feel exactly the opposite. I love the way it looks - every picture you posted looks great to me.
My issue isn't that it looks bad per se, but it looks radically different from various angles. Why is this? It lacks consistency and balance. The nose design is all over the place. I go from "damn, that's a nice-looking car" to my heart skipping a beat, depending on the angle I view it from.

Reactions: T34ME