Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front half shaft replacement instructions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why are they replacing your drive unit? Is it to prevent the halfshalf from going bad ? If that's the case then wouldn't other half shaft replacement be covered under the drive unit warranty?

Good luck

There is a C clip that holds the axle in the drive unit. It is hard to get it back in correctly. The drive unit got broken when trying to reinstall the axle. They are replacing the drive unit under the drivetrain warranty.

Not sure if I should insist on any different parts (replacement new axle, put stress on the bearings, I don't know).

Discussed the CV joints and the tech stated the original axles could bend. The new axles are a stronger design and it would be find to drive the vehicle in normal height. Since the car is apart I asked if there were any other services that might be a good idea for longevity. An AC service with replacement of the dryer was suggested, an alignment, and we noticed the 12V was original to 2019, so figured might as well update it.

Last edited:
This is my first post so apologies if I'm doing it wrong. I have a 2019 Model S that recently developed a clicking/knocking sound when accelerating from a stop while turning right or left. I took it to the dealer and they said replace the half shafts and some other suspension parts for a whopping $3,615. Then I found TSB 21-39-001, which says it applies to model years 2014-2020. When I asked about this, they said it only applies during the warranty period which, for me, ended four months ago. Any advice? Do I just bend over?

They just covered mine for $350 under the TSB. My warranty ended Sept 2021. Model S. Replaced my half shafts Jan 2024.

They did. It was actually replaced under warranty under the TSB in 2021. Then the noise came back in 2023, so they replaced it for $350 last week under the TSB a second time since I’m out of warranty.
Now that is interesting, b/c I had an argument with my SC about this, b/c they were "researching" if they had ever been replaced on my car previous to my ownership, and if they HAD - then I would have been subject to paying full freight instead of the TSB b/c in their estimation the TSB can only be applied once.

Of course I don't believe that is legitimate, but I DO believe that every little wanker at every SC thinks they will get a bonus and a pat on the head from Darth Muskrat if they successfully screw a customer and overcharge them. It happens FAR too often to be mere incompetence.

This is my first post so apologies if I'm doing it wrong. I have a 2019 Model S that recently developed a clicking/knocking sound when accelerating from a stop while turning right or left. I took it to the dealer and they said replace the half shafts and some other suspension parts for a whopping $3,615. Then I found TSB 21-39-001, which says it applies to model years 2014-2020. When I asked about this, they said it only applies during the warranty period which, for me, ended four months ago. Any advice? Do I just bend over?
I've got a '17 MXP, 143k and I'm WAY past the warranty...there is ZERO stipulation in the PDF of the TSB that says anything about requiring the vehicle to still be under warranty. Furthermore, what 2014-2015 vehicles are still under warranty? Some 2016+ might still have a their powertrain and/or battery warranty, but guaranteed they won't cover the halfshafts under that warranty...it's been pulling teeth to get them to replace the pyro fuse, which happens to be something Tesla has admitted will be covered under the battery warranty.

Go back, demand they show you where it says ANYTHING about needing to be under warranty.

Reactions: geordi
Hey guys, first post. I literally joined to ask this very question about the '24 MXP and whether or not this issue has been resolved. Looks like it's still the same design? Kind of nervous purchasing with this issue.
Isn't not such an issue that prevents driving the vehicle, it's just an annoyance with the clicking. It's a combination of tons of torque and an adjustable suspension creating more wear and tear when the suspension is raised vs when it's lowered. It's not a reason to not buy if that's what you're thinking.

Totally forgot to upload this after my success with getting the Littleton Service Center here in Denver area to finally agree to the TSB half shaft replacement for $350. Shudder during acceleration is 100% gone (although sometimes I feel like a hint might still be there...).
tesla_invoice74702d51-de07-4d01-b2e1-289c2a901bfa_001.png
tesla_invoice74702d51-de07-4d01-b2e1-289c2a901bfa_002.png

The guy at the service center (Rohan) said he was appreciative to get the correction code and hopes it helps others get the repair for $350 rather than fight them when they want to charge $1700+.

Went to check on mine at week three of the one day axle repair. I took these photos from the public area of the service center. Dre at the Kennesaw GA service center threatened to have me removed from the property for violating their “no photos” rule. I invited them to go ahead and call the police, as taking a photos of one’s own car is not only legal, but something they do of every customer’s car for the same reason; to document its condition.

Like others, it is impossible to find a person higher than the people who do whatever they please at the service center.

I was planning to buy two new Tesla for our family and my father is planning on buying in the next few days. After today’s just crazy aggressive encounter I do not see how we own any Tesla products.

Drove a Lyric and a Lucid at the LA auto show. The Cadillac seemed to be good value for money and would be a reasonable family car. Sorry to leave the Tesla product line. We have REALLY enjoyed the Model 3.

Attachments

• IMG_1258.jpeg
    IMG_1258.jpeg
    697 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1259.jpeg
    IMG_1259.jpeg
    575 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: m5james
Went to check on mine at week three of the one day axle repair. I took these photos from the public area of the service center. Dre at the Kennesaw GA service center threatened to have me removed from the property for violating their “no photos” rule. I invited them to go ahead and call the police, as taking a photos of one’s own car is not only legal, but something they do of every customer’s car for the same reason; to document its condition.

Like others, it is impossible to find a person higher than the people who do whatever they please at the service center.

I was planning to buy two new Tesla for our family and my father is planning on buying in the next few days. After today’s just crazy aggressive encounter I do not see how we own any Tesla products.

Drove a Lyric and a Lucid at the LA auto show. The Cadillac seemed to be good value for money and would be a reasonable family car. Sorry to leave the Tesla product line. We have REALLY enjoyed the Model 3.
Dang that’s wild. Although I’m not surprised considering the downward trend of tesla service. It’s basically what’s ruined the brand and I can’t blame you one bit for leaving and not looking back.

Good for you for standing up to their nonsense. That is the ONLY way that we have to (eventually) force them to get better - we have to be smarter than they are and call them on their bullshipt at every single experience of it. The continual lies from the service center people is far too much to be just basic incompetence. It HAS to be a corporate instruction from above.

Reactions: m5james
Had this bulletin done on my 2015 P85D in Jan 2023. Both half shaft changed and the car have been good through a harsh winter without any heavy/hard driving at all. I've driven only 12k km after that bulletin, but today the left half-shaft started to make that same annoying noice during acceleration. Is this not a fix?? Anyone else got this error back after a few 1000 miles? I'll take off the wheels and check controlarms/sway bars after work tommorrow, but the noise is the same.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200

Just so I understand, someone at the service center was just doing their job by enforcing a posted rule that you broke (even if they overstepped), and now you'll never buy a Tesla again?! 🤣🤣

I've had some frustratingly bad, but mostly great experiences when dealing with service. Some service centers are better than others, but overall I've been very happy for the last 6 years (especially using mobile service) compared to other vehicles and the dealerships.

I wouldn't touch a lyric with a 10ft pole. There are daily posts of those cars crapping out for various reasons, with dealerships not having timely fixes or any at all.

And thats not even considering the fact that you'll have to spend hours with a sleazy salesman, trying to negotiate the over msrp "market adjustment" price. At least Lucid has the direct to consumer model, although they haven't been around long enough to become an established brand with proven battery tech like Tesla.

Good luck getting treated like royalty somewhere else. Unfortunately the service industry has gone way downhill, so unless you're buying something like a Rolls Royce, your only range of options to choose from are: acceptable to the 7th level of hell.

Last edited:
Had this bulletin done on my 2015 P85D in Jan 2023. Both half shaft changed and the car have been good through a harsh winter without any heavy/hard driving at all. I've driven only 12k km after that bulletin, but today the left half-shaft started to make that same annoying noice during acceleration. Is this not a fix?? Anyone else got this error back after a few 1000 miles? I'll take off the wheels and check controlarms/sway bars after work tommorrow, but the noise is the same.
It’s not a fix. They put the same parts (new) parts back on. The fix is adjusted rear camber arms and a lowering kit.

It’s not a fix. They put the same parts (new) parts back on. The fix is adjusted rear camber arms and a lowering kit.
Sounds like from the nhtsa.gov document that there have been 'updated components' over time ... so some changes even if not foolproof or permanent.

Correction
Upon customer complaint, inspect the vehicle for excessive vibrations from the front drive unit during hard
acceleration. If the condition is present, replace both front drive unit half shafts with updated components, and if
necessary, replace the front drive unit clevis and axle seal.

Sounds like from the nhtsa.gov document that there have been 'updated components' over time ... so some changes even if not foolproof or permanent.

Correction
Upon customer complaint, inspect the vehicle for excessive vibrations from the front drive unit during hard
acceleration. If the condition is present, replace both front drive unit half shafts with updated components, and if
necessary, replace the front drive unit clevis and axle seal.
I fully believe there is a new part number. The fundamental issue of the drive shaft angle being too high was not changed. I had the shafts and clevis replaced 12 months ago at about 32k miles. New ones don’t shake the car now under normal acceleration but at standard height and decent acceleration the vibration is noticeable. Set to low and it’s gone. If you want a cheap hack I have a thread on just lowering the front. It works. Get an alignment after you lower it.

I have not reinstalled the lower links since the axles were replaced. Cheap shudder hack (not a fix)

Does anyone know what the best height is for a neutral half-shaft angle? Is it "low" or something lower?

I know there's a lot of recommendations to use lowering links and drop it about an inch, but I don't know if this is for the shafts or just a personal preference.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200