Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate at Delivery IL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, my delivery date for my new Model X is nearing closer and I really don't want a front license plate. Does anyone know if I need to request that with my DS or if the Model X just doesn't comes with the bracket or anything in the front, I live in the state of IL. If anyone has recently picked up a Model X in Illinois, please help me out. Thanks

Hi, my delivery date for my new Model X is nearing closer and I really don't want a front license plate. Does anyone know if I need to request that with my DS or if the Model X just doesn't comes with the bracket or anything in the front, I live in the state of IL. If anyone has recently picked up a Model X in Illinois, please help me out. Thanks
I picked up my X in 2016 and they didn't put on the license plate holder by default. I left it off. I would ask them not to in case their policy changed.

It is illegal in Va to NOT have a front plate. The dealers are required to install it. That being said, Tesla has always asked me if I want the front plate installed on my cars. I realize different states have different laws, but it certainly doesn't hurt to ask . . . as long as you make it clear that you understand the risks.

I took delivery in Highland Park last October and they did not install my front plate. They gave me the bracket and told me when my plate came in I could come back and have them install it. After three tickets for no plate when parking at Midway Airport (one where I was pulled in against a concrete wall, he actually would have had to walk over to the front of my car to check that I had one lol) I finally just went in and had it installed a few weeks ago.

I asked my DS this very question about my Model X delivery here in California. Apparently next year it becomes law that suppliers have to install the front plate. This being 2017, as a consumer, I can choose to not have it done. That being said, I was told that for a Model S, they had to install it, but for a Model X, I could leave it off. Thank God I'm getting an X. By law, you are supposed to have on in California, but so far, knock on carbon fiber, I haven't got a ticket for no front plate and I've been driving that way since 2003. Maybe with the stricter law starting next year I will get a "fixit" ticket. If so, I may have to begrudgingly comply. I hate the look of those things -- even though I have custom plates. I just like my plate on the back.