Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate holder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks good. You must have gotten a prototype though since they are just taking pre-orders now for the Model Y version..

Actually she said they were just finishing another batch of recently made ones. She said they sold out of the first round of brackets made, and were sending the second round to paint this next week, so that is the delay in processing. She had mentioned that there manufacturing was being affected by the virus and was the reason for slowing it down. I went over to see the bracket myself, before buying it, and she had brought one with her from the first round.

I am very satisfied with the SnapPlate front license plate holder on my Model Y. SnapPlate does not block the airflow through the grill. SnapPlate can be easily removed when needed (i.e., always remove the SnapPlate before putting the vehicle through an automated car wash.) Spare parts are available, inexpensive should the SnapPlate sustain damage. If the SnapPlate is forcefully pulled away from the vehicle it is designed to cleanly break away while leaving your Tesla's grill undamaged.

SnapPlate Tesla Front License Plate Mounts by LivingTesla

I am very satisfied with the SnapPlate front license plate holder on my Model Y. SnapPlate does not block the airflow through the grill. SnapPlate can be easily removed when needed (i.e., always remove the SnapPlate before putting the vehicle through an automated car wash.) Spare parts are available, inexpensive should the SnapPlate sustain damage. If the SnapPlate is forcefully pulled away from the vehicle it is designed to cleanly break away while leaving your Tesla's grill undamaged.

SnapPlate Tesla Front License Plate Mounts by LivingTesla

I looked at the snap plate and it looks to me, like it blocked the airflow more so than the Thatgrin holder! I just sent my snap plate back for that reason. Just a difference of opinion on what blocking airflow is. That grin holder is minimal comparatively speaking! Happier with that grin! And the way it’s built, there is no need to have spare parts!

I ordered a quick bandit.. and it seems to fit very loose. In fact my daughter walked by and brushed it with her gym bag and it came right off.
Other people seem pretty happy with it.. so maybe I installed it incorrectly.. I’ll try fiddling with it today - but hopefully I can make it feel more secure

I ordered a quick bandit.. and it seems to fit very loose. In fact my daughter walked by and brushed it with her gym bag and it came right off.
Other people seem pretty happy with it.. so maybe I installed it incorrectly.. I’ll try fiddling with it today - but hopefully I can make it feel more secure
I guess maybe a lot of force could jar it off...do you have the security screw installed?

I looked at the snap plate and it looks to me, like it blocked the airflow more so than the Thatgrin holder! I just sent my snap plate back for that reason. Just a difference of opinion on what blocking airflow is. That grin holder is minimal comparatively speaking! Happier with that grin! And the way it’s built, there is no need to have spare parts!

We specifically designed the SnapPlate base to only cover the area of the grille where the louvers don't open. We're actually the least intrusive option in that regard. If you look past the outer grille there are louvers that control air flow to the radiator.

You are right that a metal plate holder likely has no need for spare parts. But metal bracket vs plastic grille means you need much more expensive spare grilles, which Tesla can provide for a few hundred dollars plus install. ;)

Am I to understand that a front plate holder is not included with the Model Y? I'd think that in states that require it (i.e. Oregon), one would be provided like in the video from post #2 in this thread.
Tesla provides a front license plate holder in those states that require the front plate. The Tesla front license plate holder in the Model Y is made of molded black plastic, similar to front plate holder in the Model 3. The front license plate holder attaches to the front bumper with double sided tape. Some Tesla owners do not want to attach anything to the front bumper that might alter the appearance of the bumper or damage the painted surface when removed. The double sided tape that Tesla uses is strong but may not hold the license plate holder in place if you take the Tesla vehicle through an automated car wash.

Do not buy this one either, blocking airflow to the lower grill makes the car work harder to cool the battery instead of getting air cooled.
Plenty of room for the air to go around it. It works great on my car for last 3 years. Problem with other solutions that I see especially ones which hang off the grill is if something bumps into it, your grille will break.

Last edited:
I ordered the SnapPlate which sits mostly above the air intake.
Here's the SnapPlate installed - holds very firmly.
IMG_0560.jpg