Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great Idea eh? A fellow model S owner gave it to me after I told him what I do for a living. he had a decal plate on a BMW for 3 years with no problems. I own a small company that has wide format digital printers and we stock the same reflective material used for ambulance, police, and fire vehicle graphics. The laminate that works best is an automotive grade vinyl laminate. I have sold a few of these to other model S owners that I have met at superchargers around the country, message me if interested in any more info.

[FONT=arial, sans-serif] I've had a lot of conversations about the legality with other Tesla owners at different superchargers around the country. The common consensus is that most likely you would get a fix-it ticket where you have 15 days to put on your actual plate. Legality would ultimately have to be answered by each state that requires a front plate. So far I know of people in Texas, California and Washington state that are using the decal plates. it is very helpful to have them printed on reflective material as it means they show up when passing other cars at night, when going through tollbooth's and for border crossings. My wife and I have taken our car across the US Canadian border a number of times already with this decal front plate and have not had any problems. I keep my real front plate in my frunk with an extra copy of the decal as proof that I do have the actual plate. [/FONT]
IMG_6944.jpg

I love the idea but I've been wondering about the legality of this too. In Colorado at least, this would apparently fall under:
Criminal Possession of a forged instrument is a class 6 felony. A forged instrument may include one ore more of the following:
  • Certificate of Title
  • Temporary Registration
  • License Plates
  • Power of Attorney
  • Any other records and/or forms issued by the Department that were forged
but:
18-5-105. Criminal possession of a forged instrument
A person commits a class 6 felony when, with knowledge that it is forged and with intent to use to defraud, such person possesses any forged instrument of a kind described in section 18-5-102.

Since there is no intent to defraud (the intent is simply to not drill holes in my expensive car), I don't think you could be found guilty of a felony (IANAL though). In theory it would just be a ticket for not having an appropriate front plate. I probably wouldn't carry around a second "forged" document in my frunk though. No need to risk facing two counts.

Last edited:
Did you use the 3M highly reflective Digital License plate material for your background?
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...C2MU390EP2000000_nid=7X2L0PCM2DbeMWDVM6RXWXgl
3MTM Digital License Plate (DLP) ReflectiveLicense Plate Sheeting Series 9250E/9250T consistsof lens elements enclosed within a transparent resin.The sheeting is designed for use in the fabricationof multi-year reflective license plates using the
DLP System.

The sheeting can be digitally printed withbackground graphics and variable plate messages,with background graphics only, or with variableplate message on pre-printed background graphicusing 3MTM Thermal Transfer Ribbons SeriesTTR1300. 3MTM Clear Protective Film 9097 isapplied in the DLP Print Station after printing.After application to aluminum substrate, plates
may be blanked flat or with a debossed rim. Platesmay optionally be embossed with plate messagesand coated using 3M
TM Roll Coat Colors Series 4850or 4950, or 3MTM HSF 100/200 and DRF 300/400Series hot stamp foils.
Finished license plates made with the 3M DLPsystem function 24 hours a day to enhancenighttime safety and legibility of the vehicleidentification system. The sheeting appears similarduring the day and at night (when viewed byreflected light) and is highly reflective when viewedat both head-on and wide entrance angles.
The backside of the reflective sheeting is pre-coatedwith a pressure sensitive adhesive, protected by
a removable liner, for application to aluminumlicense plate substrates.

Series 9250E/9250T sheeting is available with pre-printed graphics that offer a unique opportunity topromote a country, state or national attraction, eventor image while continuing to provide the drivingpublic with the safety aspects of fully reflectivelicense plates.

[COLOR=rgb(100.000000%, 100.000000%, 100.000000%)]May 2014[/COLOR]
Replaces PB 9250E/9250T dated March 2013
[COLOR=rgb(36.600000%, 58.500000%, 78.900000%)]3M[/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(36.600000%, 58.500000%, 78.900000%)]TM [/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(36.600000%, 58.500000%, 78.900000%)]Ensure[/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(36.600000%, 58.500000%, 78.900000%)]TM [/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(36.600000%, 58.500000%, 78.900000%)]Image [/COLOR]

Last edited:
no at the moment we are not using a 3m material, it is a competing material. the other reason that I like this option is that the car retains the original engineered aerodynamics While still showing your state front plate. impossible to do any other way. I have seen guy with fancy custom cars that throw their plate on the dashboard.

I was at Car Week in Monterey and I had a CHP directing traffic come over to my car while I was stopped in a median. He started looking closely at my front "plate" which is a decal I printed on my inkjet as a temporary test. He gave me the thumbs up and said "great idea".

I later talked to a group if 5 CHP officers, and they all liked the idea better than no front plate at all. One even thought I should pusue it with the DMV.....Yea like it would get anywhere in California.

I simply scanned and print my plate using the same technique I found for my HOV sticker. It worked so well, I would buy the permanent solution mentioned earlier in this thread. Here is a link to the thread I got the info from. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ker-Hack-(making-your-HOV-stickers-removable)

Here is a shot of my quickly made temporary plate.
20554846545_4211ddb985_k.jpg

I like the idea of sticker plus original in frunk, but not sure if it would actually pass muster. (You will never know until you get a ticket, at which point it's probably too late for you.)

Coding regulations for equivalent formulations is one of those things that legislatures normally don't do, unfortunately, unless some lobbyist is paid to push it.

I own a print shop that specializes in high quality automotive graphics and we carry the same reflective material used on police cars, ambulance and fire trucks. This is what I have my plate printed on and have sold a few of these to other tesla owners. They come shipped like the example shown in the picture and we provide you with two copies so that you have a spare.
decal license plate.jpg

Outdoor life for this product is three years or greater depending upon how much Constant direct sunlight and chemicals it is exposed to. Please private message me if you would like pricing and our company contact information.
If you call our the 1-800 number, my Sales Rep will ask you to email over a scan of your front License plate. A home scanner will work just make sure to bump up resolution to over 660. let me know if you have anymore questions
Thank you,
Ben
^ Does anyone know the best place to get something like this printed? Having a hard time through Google to find reflective vinyl.

Reactions: scottf200
I agree that this isn't legal. You are forging government documents by doing this. You get one cop that cites you for this and you're in a world of legal trouble. It would be like carrying around a photocopy of your drivers license and trying to pass it off as real.

Bhamben,
I will pay for two - I have my plates mounted on the Air conditioner venting (offset touching the fog light) area to the right of the main air intake below the nose cone.... Can you fedex me two of them? How much? I can take a high res in any format you want...

How much?

I agree that this isn't legal. You are forging government documents by doing this. You get one cop that cites you for this and you're in a world of legal trouble. It would be like carrying around a photocopy of your drivers license and trying to pass it off as real.

If you kept the original in the frunk, it'd be more like handing out a laminated photocopy of your license and then pulling the original out of your sock if you're questioned on it... ;)

I wouldn't think that a front plate would be necessary to check speed with a police radar gun as many states don't require a front plate. Legality would ultimately have to be answered by each state that requires a front plate. The Intent behind the use of a copied legal document would help determine whether or not there is consequence from that use. I personally don't see this as forgery, it is a copy of a document that you have legally purchased but for personal reasons you are choosing to display a copy instead of the actual document. People make copies of their drivers license all the time for purposes of opening bank accounts transferring real estate or buying a car. The reasons for doing this are because you want to obey the law, maintain Aerodynamics, and not drill holes in the front of your expensive car; Not to defraud or commit a crime. That is just my 2 cents.

Reactions: scottf200